+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    I think statements like this are really dangerous. No food will cure depression. Sure certain foods might make you feel better in the moment but that might be chocolate or chips.

At my most depressed even eating was hard not even factoring in buying and preparing veg.
    Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I think diet can help with mental health generally, but agree that diet won’t be much help with clinical depression. I thought my comment was clear with the “scratch the surface” bit, but sorry if it wasn’t. In any event, I was trying to make suggestions that weren’t based around medication As requested, but did note in my comment that I thought OP should be open to medication if she’s really struggling.

I by no means believe that food will cure depression.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Beary For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (27-07-2020),FayBelle (27-07-2020),Kalina (27-07-2020),Mum-I-Am (27-07-2020),Purple Lily (27-07-2020),rosieposiepie (02-08-2020),SSecret Squirrel (27-07-2020),Stretched (01-08-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for all of your helpful responses. I probably need antidepressants to get myself out of this rut. It’s confusing because I can’t actually put my finger on what in particular is depressing me, apart from worrying about money as the kids get older. Although, now I think of it, one of the things that makes me depressed is so immature. It’s that I see my friends with everything falling into place and having a life that I deserve too but I seem to come up to roadblocks and crap things happening for years now. This really has been for years too. I had to watch all of my friends get engaged, married and have babies easily. A couple of friends had a few crap things happen to them but then seem to magically get some major financial inheritance or payout to make up for it. Of course, there has been a few nice things such as having my kids. Although, even with that, there has been losing a baby at 17 weeks, him dying in my arms, my son’s neurosurgery and ongoing issues from his brain cyst, not to mention other things thrown in there! I know to be grateful, but when is it my turn for something nice to happen. I know this is ridiculous because I am old enough to know better, that life is just **** for some and so easy for others. I’m just bitter and I hate being like this. I really was a normal, fun person before all of this. I have nice friends, a degree, I have travelled a lot and I’ve invested so I have really tried to live a great life. Anyway, I’m tired so I probably sound crazy. Thanks if you got through my essay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymummy5 View Post
    Thanks so much for all of your helpful responses. I probably need antidepressants to get myself out of this rut. It’s confusing because I can’t actually put my finger on what in particular is depressing me, apart from worrying about money as the kids get older. Although, now I think of it, one of the things that makes me depressed is so immature. It’s that I see my friends with everything falling into place and having a life that I deserve too but I seem to come up to roadblocks and crap things happening for years now. This really has been for years too. I had to watch all of my friends get engaged, married and have babies easily. A couple of friends had a few crap things happen to them but then seem to magically get some major financial inheritance or payout to make up for it. Of course, there has been a few nice things such as having my kids. Although, even with that, there has been losing a baby at 17 weeks, him dying in my arms, my son’s neurosurgery and ongoing issues from his brain cyst, not to mention other things thrown in there! I know to be grateful, but when is it my turn for something nice to happen. I know this is ridiculous because I am old enough to know better, that life is just **** for some and so easy for others. I’m just bitter and I hate being like this. I really was a normal, fun person before all of this. I have nice friends, a degree, I have travelled a lot and I’ve invested so I have really tried to live a great life. Anyway, I’m tired so I probably sound crazy. Thanks if you got through my essay!
    @Happymummy5 you have gone through so much, any one of the things you mentioned is hard in itself. I'm so very sorry for your loss x. I lost a baby boy at the same gestation.

It can be hard seeing people around you seemingly breeze through life with what seems like no major setbacks or traumas, and you're right, there's no rhyme or reason to it. It's not that you wish anything bad on anyone, but when you've been dealt a few consecutive blows the randomness of good and ill fortune is what it is. And I'm sure you're conscious of the very good luck you've had too, but it's ok to not be ok about the really sh*tty things. They're not superficial problems you've endured.

You don't sound crazy at all. You sound like someone who has gone through, and is going through, a lot. Sometimes you have to let go and weep, let out whatever feelings you have. It's ok, it's normal to feel bad when hard things have been happening, or to feel like there's a "before" and "after" version of you. Try not to compare how you're feeling to others, they're not walking in your shoes nor you in theirs. Sometimes, for any of us, just getting up and putting one foot in front of the other is an achievement.

Ask for help, accept the help. You will feel better one day, and you'll be stronger at the broken places. Just letting it out here is already a positive thing you're doing to help yourself xo.
    Last edited by Kalina; 01-08-2020 at 10:55.