+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I have found that children's and my needs change. I never set one thing and stick with it. I change our routine when I need or want to.
    Totally agree with this, I find the same thing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (23-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    lol. Well if he’s already in his own room and it’s not impacting your marriage then you carry on Hun!

I think that it’s helpful to have the routine where bubs goes to bed in her own room and also naps there too but the middle of the night is all about maximum sleep for all. If that’s with you then so be it. I do have a mate that fell into the habit of lying down with her DD to get her to sleep and it’s become a bit of a problem as it’s still happening at 2.5, so i think a mixture of her learning to go to sleep on her own and co sleeping is a good thing. You’ll work it out, just follow your instinct
    We did this with DD1 - so many nights I remember spending sooo long getting her to sleep, then creeping out of her room, only to step on a creaky floorboard once outside and "waaaaaaaah!".... and she still to this day has periods where getting her to sleep is hard work🤦‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    We did this with DD1 - so many nights I remember spending sooo long getting her to sleep, then creeping out of her room, only to step on a creaky floorboard once outside and "waaaaaaaah!".... and she still to this day has periods where getting her to sleep is hard work🤦‍♀️
    Lol. I dunno hun. Do whatever works for you! There’s no rule book to this stuff, just a lot of unrealistic expectations put on us from society. As a PP said, it’s also fluid. What works now doesn’t mean it will work in 3-6mths time. Just go with what works for YOU and to hell with anyone whose opinions get in the way of that x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Kalina (23-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I say follow your heart. We co-sleep from birth and it suits us quite well.

I'm generally of the belief that children who sleep well, will do so whether alone or next to their caregiver and vice versa. However, a few potential teething issues come to mind:

-Sleeping next to you may now be seen a novelty, and therefore she may play up at sleep time.

-The change in temperature due to your body heat may cause her to toss and turn as she adjusts.

-Is she easily startled? She may wake up each time you toss and turn.

-Will your eldest DD also want to co-sleep, now that her younger sister is? This may not be an issue as such, but is worth consideration.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

Kalina (23-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I totally understand. There is no peace in the world like snuggling down to sleep with your baby. It’s pure heaven. My daughter and I co-slept until it didn’t work anymore (around 8 months) and then she went into her cot. Most nights she sleeps 12 hours in her cot in her own room, but every now and then when she’s sick or has bad teething she will wake upset and my husband will go into the spare room so I can bring her in with me. Also on my days off I take her for a midday nap sometimes and we snuggle up and snooze and it’s just sooooo nice. She still always goes back to sleeping 12 hours in her cot each night. I’m happy with how it is, sometimes I wish it was even more often haha but I’m also glad she sleeps in her own bed more often than not because it’s better quality sleep. This time will be over in the blink of an eye, I never want to regret not snuggling my beautiful baby.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SallyJoyAnderson For This Useful Post:

Kalina (23-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I have found that children's and my needs change. I never set one thing and stick with it. I change our routine when I need or want to.
    What a fantastic way of looking at parenting!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SallyJoyAnderson For This Useful Post:

Kalina (23-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    I say follow your heart. We co-sleep from birth and it suits us quite well.

I'm generally of the belief that children who sleep well, will do so whether alone or next to their caregiver and vice versa. However, a few potential teething issues come to mind:

-Sleeping next to you may now be seen a novelty, and therefore she may play up at sleep time.

-The change in temperature due to your body heat may cause her to toss and turn as she adjusts.

-Is she easily startled? She may wake up each time you toss and turn.

-Will your eldest DD also want to co-sleep, now that her younger sister is? This may not be an issue as such, but is worth consideration.
    All very good points. The last is particularly pertinent, DD1 would go ballistic haha. It was one of the reasons I stopped sharing a room with DD2 at 10 months, I got a lot of "it's not faaaaair that DD2 gets to sleep in your room and I don't", "it's not faaaair that.....[insert perceived injustice here]". She started waking at night and climbing into bed with me (which means me clinging to the edge of what is a big bed) and the two of them would wake each other repeatedly overnight. I felt like roadkill.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyJoyAnderson View Post
    Oh I totally understand. There is no peace in the world like snuggling down to sleep with your baby. It’s pure heaven. My daughter and I co-slept until it didn’t work anymore (around 8 months) and then she went into her cot. Most nights she sleeps 12 hours in her cot in her own room, but every now and then when she’s sick or has bad teething she will wake upset and my husband will go into the spare room so I can bring her in with me. Also on my days off I take her for a midday nap sometimes and we snuggle up and snooze and it’s just sooooo nice. She still always goes back to sleeping 12 hours in her cot each night. I’m happy with how it is, sometimes I wish it was even more often haha but I’m also glad she sleeps in her own bed more often than not because it’s better quality sleep. This time will be over in the blink of an eye, I never want to regret not snuggling my beautiful baby.

Thank you so much for this. That's my ideal scenario, being able to co-sleep sometimes without undoing her ability to sleep in her cot, because like you say it is better quality sleep. What you say is spot-on exactly how I feel, I don't want to regret not snuggling her when she's asleep. We have the occasional day sleep together and it's the best 🥰

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

SallyJoyAnderson (24-07-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Thank you so much for this. That's my ideal scenario, being able to co-sleep sometimes without undoing her ability to sleep in her cot, because like you say it is better quality sleep. What you say is spot-on exactly how I feel, I don't want to regret not snuggling her when she's asleep. We have the occasional day sleep together and it's the best
    It is just heaven isn’t it! My little one ended up with me around 2:30am this morning with an awful fever. I just snuggled her up and watched her temp go down until 5am then fell asleep for an hour. It’s so much more doable when they sleep normally on the reg, you get to treasure these moments. I’m already looking forward to our midday nap though so rainy and cold in Brissie too