+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,274
    Thanks
    4,665
    Thanked
    7,865
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Pyloric Stenosis

    Has anyone had first hand experience? DS has been super unsettled for the last few days and has gone from a dirty nappy with almost every feed to not pooing in almost 48hrs. His vomiting has increased and settling him post feed is now taking 1.5-2hrs. He had his vaccinations on Thursday which is when it all started so I don’t know if it’s related to vaccines or coincidence. I messaged my child health nurse and she’s the one who’s brought up the idea. Apparently it usually happens from around 6 weeks (DS is 8 weeks on Monday) and is more common in boys. When I googled it before, it seems DS has a lot of the risk factors (male, of European descent, premature, early antibiotic use) and has a few of the symptoms (forceful vomiting after feeding, changes to bowel movements, persistent hunger - he feeds constantly for that 1.5-2hrs of that awake time). Weight gain is harder to ascertain as he was weighed 3 times last week on 3 different scales and they were vastly different numbers (3.9kg @ GP fully dressed, 3.5kg @ QCH naked same day, 3.8kg @ paed naked 2 days later) so hard to say what his last weight actually was. I don’t know what to do about it. Do I get home GP out? Do I take him up to hospital? Do I wait til Monday and take him to GP?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    9,719
    Thanks
    1,545
    Thanked
    6,553
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

    Default Pyloric Stenosis

    All I can say is listen to your gut. We had very similar issues with ds, except his nappy situation was the opposite. Like you, it was the CHN that mentioned the possibility, but unfortunately no other medical professional took me seriously even when his weight dropped off the chart. He’s 13.5 months (12 months corrected) and we still have issues but still nobody will listen.

    Also if he is bottle fed he may need a slower teat. One of ds’s issues was even the newborn teats were too fast a flow for him which further aggravated his vomiting. Once we found a teat that worked, his vomiting decreased significantly.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

    MLadyEm (11-07-2020)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,274
    Thanks
    4,665
    Thanked
    7,865
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    All I can say is listen to your gut. We had very similar issues with ds, except his nappy situation was the opposite. Like you, it was the CHN that mentioned the possibility, but unfortunately no other medical professional took me seriously even when his weight dropped off the chart. He’s 13.5 months (12 months corrected) and we still have issues but still nobody will listen.

    Also if he is bottle fed he may need a slower teat. One of ds’s issues was even the newborn teats were too fast a flow for him which further aggravated his vomiting. Once we found a teat that worked, his vomiting decreased significantly.
    Thanks. I’m still on the fence. He’s asleep on me now but when he wakes I’ll do his bath and see if he’s pooped or not. If not, it’ll be 48hrs without a poo. Night time is when it’s at its worst, so that might make my mind up anyway.

    He’s only had the occasional bottle and I’ve got the slowest avent anti colic teat (they fit the Spectra bottles), but I don’t think DH has given him a bottle in the last couple of days (brain is mush thanks to sh*t sleep).

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    633
    Thanks
    174
    Thanked
    353
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Thanks. I’m still on the fence. He’s asleep on me now but when he wakes I’ll do his bath and see if he’s pooped or not. If not, it’ll be 48hrs without a poo. Night time is when it’s at its worst, so that might make my mind up anyway.

    He’s only had the occasional bottle and I’ve got the slowest avent anti colic teat (they fit the Spectra bottles), but I don’t think DH has given him a bottle in the last couple of days (brain is mush thanks to sh*t sleep).
    Is he settled when he’s Awake?? Generally he’d be quite unsettled with the stomach cramping that often goes with pyloric stenosis. But it’s hard to tell at 6 weeks anyway with gut maturation (less poo), increased feeding due to 6w growth spurt and the general increased crying between 6-8w anyway...

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,274
    Thanks
    4,665
    Thanked
    7,865
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Excited1 View Post
    Is he settled when he’s Awake?? Generally he’d be quite unsettled with the stomach cramping that often goes with pyloric stenosis. But it’s hard to tell at 6 weeks anyway with gut maturation (less poo), increased feeding due to 6w growth spurt and the general increased crying between 6-8w anyway...
    No, he’s generally been quite unsettled the past 2 days when he’s awake. He’s fussy to get on the boob as well. Once he’s on and feeding he’s mostly settled. He’ll pull himself off occasionally and have a bit of a squeal but will get back on. I think he’s been happy on his playmat for maybe 15-20 min max between yesterday and today. Once he finally goes to sleep he’s settled but he does grunt and groan, squirm etc.

    And agreed with all the other things going on at this age it’s harder to differentiate what’s normal from what’s not. This is why I’m so unsure with what to do. 🤷‍♀️

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    6,817
    Thanks
    749
    Thanked
    3,279
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When my dd has his diagnosed he was 6 weeks old. He had issues with projectile vomiting and constipation and low weight gains. We had it diagnosed with a barium swallow and he was put on losec and a thickener added to his formula. He eventually outgrew it but it was tough. He would cry for hours and hours every day and be really unsettled. I saw a great pead in Brisbane that I understand is still practicing . He’s on Wickham terrace.

    I hope your little man settles soon for you. It’s not fun at all.

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,808
    Thanks
    908
    Thanked
    466
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    my eldest and youngest had abdominal ultrasounds to rule it out. can you ask gp/paed for an ultrasound?
    from my understanding its a small laparscopic surgery to fix.
    big hugs xx

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

    MLadyEm (11-07-2020)

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,808
    Thanks
    908
    Thanked
    466
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    also could it be food intolerances?

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkPopsicle For This Useful Post:

    MLadyEm (11-07-2020)

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    8,274
    Thanks
    4,665
    Thanked
    7,865
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkPopsicle View Post
    my eldest and youngest had abdominal ultrasounds to rule it out. can you ask gp/paed for an ultrasound?
    from my understanding its a small laparscopic surgery to fix.
    big hugs xx
    Yeah, if he’s not settled by Monday (and I haven’t taken him to ED in the meantime, I’ll prob go to GP. Hubby and I agreed though if he’s still not pooed by tomorrow morning, then I’ll take him up anyway as it’s really out of character for him and he’s obviously in discomfort with whatever is going on.

    It could be anything I guess. I’m only curious about the pyloric stenosis as our child health nurse threw of out there, and she doesn’t often make assumptions etc, she’s all about reassuring normal behaviour. His poos have always been typical yellow curdy breastmilk poos though which doesn’t lend itself to intolerances (from my very limited knowledge).

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

    PinkPopsicle (11-07-2020)

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,698
    Thanks
    872
    Thanked
    667
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Yeah, if he’s not settled by Monday (and I haven’t taken him to ED in the meantime, I’ll prob go to GP. Hubby and I agreed though if he’s still not pooed by tomorrow morning, then I’ll take him up anyway as it’s really out of character for him and he’s obviously in discomfort with whatever is going on.

    It could be anything I guess. I’m only curious about the pyloric stenosis as our child health nurse threw of out there, and she doesn’t often make assumptions etc, she’s all about reassuring normal behaviour. His poos have always been typical yellow curdy breastmilk poos though which doesn’t lend itself to intolerances (from my very limited knowledge).
    DH had it and I remember my MIL saying how the vomiting was extremely forceful, she had towels everywhere across the couch, bed etc. His was corrected with surgery as an infant.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

    MLadyEm (11-07-2020)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Pyloric Stenosis.
    By Ahalfdozen in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-02-2018, 22:53
  2. Pyloric Spasms & reflux experience
    By Milliner in forum Colic Reflux Wind
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 18-01-2008, 21:27
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 22:01
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-12-2007, 16:44
  5. Meatal Stenosis and Penile Adhesions
    By MotherNurture in forum Circumcision
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 00:43

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Glowing ExpectationsA one stop shop, 40 week, online pregnancy fitness and wellbeing program - recommended by Doctors. Convenient, ...

ADVERTISEMENT