+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Realistic costs of building a house..

Hey! So I’m just wanting to find out some figures for people who have built a home.

DF and I are in the stages of early planning (our savings are coming along nicely) and we have only considered buying an already exisiting home.

We have seen a few blocks in our town for sale (good size for just over $100,000) I haven’t really got any idea of how building a house works etc and just curious on the basics with cost etc.
    it’s only a thought, we aren’t ready to be talking to someone yet but want to keep our options open. We just want personal experiences from real people about what they’ve spent (ball park figures etc) and how it all went.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    We built and our house was completed at the end of 2018. I think you will find that the cost will vary from state to state and even in different regions of NSW. I’m close to Sydney. We used a custom builder that was based in Sydney but they had a lot of experience and knowledge of building in fire prone areas which we are.

Our original quote was $1600 per square metre plus $80,000 for being in the flame zone. The builder stuck to this. Our house is 256sqm so cost was $409k but our builder had a lot of standard features that were considered upgrades with project builders. Eg. Ornate cornices, 2.7m high ceilings, stone bench tops in kitchen and in all bathrooms/toilets and laundry, down lights, premium tiles and/or carpet etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A standard house around $1200
    - $1300 per square metre, nicer finishes etc and the price goes up. Double story is also more expensive per square metre. Lots of bulk builders advertise much cheaper than this but the costs exclude a lot of things and once they are added in the price will rise quite a bit.

A standard ~200m2 house would cost around $250k.

Have a lot at display homes to get an idea of room sizes as well, again bulk builders will advertise a 4 bed house but the bedrooms are like 3m x 3 m and the little drawings they use show a queen bed in there with room to spare but a 3m x 3m bedroom is tiny.

Other things to remember are to include in your budget are fencing, landscaping and driveways. Concrete is expensive

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both! This really helps.

We’d definitely like to keep our options open because the block sizes are decent and would definitely be able to get more what we want then settle for a house already built.

I always worry when you hear the horror stories of building and all hidden costs etc.
    DF isn’t worried about landscaping (he’d do it himself happily, used to do it for a job) but it is definitely something to think about.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ours was around $500k or a bit more and is about 336m2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We built an investment last year. Land was $190k, building contract $215k. I calculated all up it has cost us close to $440k including interest over that time (100% finance secured against our home) and Vic stamp duty on the land purchase. I put up all the window treatments (bought while on sale at Spotlight) and we did the landscaping (plus our neighbour works for a concreter, so we got that cheap too. DH knows the builder, so there were a few little things along the way that we didn't get charged for, but almost everything was base level spec - different tiles, bricks, carpet, etc can very quickly add up to $10s of thousands more!!

So an extra $35k on top of what most volume builders would advertise as 'house and land'.

A big thing to watch for is the soil quality, they won't do the tests until you've signed up with them and it can massively impact on the slab/footing cost. If the land is in a new estate, many have FB community chat groups that you could ask to join. Then you can ask people who have built/building there what class slab they needed, any extra costs etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Realistic costs of building a house..

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselhoff View Post
    Hey! So I’m just wanting to find out some figures for people who have built a home.

DF and I are in the stages of early planning (our savings are coming along nicely) and we have only considered buying an already exisiting home.

We have seen a few blocks in our town for sale (good size for just over $100,000) I haven’t really got any idea of how building a house works etc and just curious on the basics with cost etc.
    it’s only a thought, we aren’t ready to be talking to someone yet but want to keep our options open. We just want personal experiences from real people about what they’ve spent (ball park figures etc) and how it all went.

Thanks!
    We are building at the moment and our plans have been submitted to council. We are spending about $650k just on our house and shed haha! I just worked out our cost per square metre and it’s about $1400 per sqm. We are going fully customised with high specs so it’s costing a fair bit. Our house will end up being about 46 squares (428.5sqm) all up. Our massive wrap around verandah pushed our cost up.

From memory you are local to me (if you haven’t moved away) and some of the local volume builders I would steer clear of. Others I’ve heard are reasonably good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    We built and our house was completed at the end of 2018. I think you will find that the cost will vary from state to state and even in different regions of NSW. I’m close to Sydney. We used a custom builder that was based in Sydney but they had a lot of experience and knowledge of building in fire prone areas which we are.

Our original quote was $1600 per square metre plus $80,000 for being in the flame zone. The builder stuck to this. Our house is 256sqm so cost was $409k but our builder had a lot of standard features that were considered upgrades with project builders. Eg. Ornate cornices, 2.7m high ceilings, stone bench tops in kitchen and in all bathrooms/toilets and laundry, down lights, premium tiles and/or carpet etc.
    Are you able to show me what your ornate cornices look like? I really want them in my living areas and would love to see what you have. Happy to go via PM if you’d prefer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It varies so much and depends on how big or small of a house you want. What inclusions, the builder you go with etc. I think the main issue for people when they refer to extra costs is that they go to a display home and think that’s what they are getting. It’s not, display homes have 70k to 120k worth of extras. You have to do research lots of research and know exactly what you want and what you are willing to live without. The problem with the cheaper homes is that they are tiny, the bedrooms can barely fit a queen bed and a dresser. That’s what I found in Sydney anyway.
    A realistic build in Sydney for a good layout, decent bedrooms, good inclusions is $350kish and that would include a drive way with a main stream project builder. That would be single storey 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom.
    Lots of builders have specials for example pay 7k get 40k worth of inclusions. Things like better taps, tiles, solar, ducted air con, flooring etc. because honestly when I say you get basic you literally get the cheapest looking stuff. There are government grants now so that may bring the price down.
    You need to looks at everything, soil, how flat the land is ( what you think is flat may not be when it comes to building). Doors, lighting down lights, cabinets, ceaser stone colours etc.
    Whatever base price you get I would look at adding at the very least 50k but 100k would be better.
    Also there is a noise test so that may add more money in terms of the type of windows you have, if you are in a fire area, steel frames etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    Are you able to show me what your ornate cornices look like? I really want them in my living areas and would love to see what you have. Happy to go via PM if you’d prefer!
    I’ll see if I can work out how to send a pic via PM. They are modern ornate cornices, not traditional ones.