+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristmasCheer View Post
    @CherryPie wow, that sounds intense. Im glad it all went well. Ive only ever had retrieval under so was curious on your experience.

@Shazzy great result 3 to have 3 frozen how high was your progesterone?
    Thankyou I’m pretty excited now, I think it was 4.6 maybe

Thanks
    Reviews
    @shazxy no worries not prying at all! 😊
    The clinic I go to is one of the budget ones which doesn't offer general or local anaesthetic.
    I didn't know what it would be like and the fs & nurses keep telling me it won't hurt much, so I thought I would give it a try, it was one hell of life experience I would say 😝
    Having 3 frozen is great result!
    After my clinic has told me how many were fertilised, they wouldn't give me anymore updates as to whether or not the eggs have made it to Day 3. They just said, if I receive a call on the day of transfer, it will be to tell me that none has survived to Day 5, and the transfer has to be cancelled... The transfer is tomorrow and I'm hoping I won't receive a call from them in the morning, or I'll be devastated! 😔
    Did they say why high progesterone level is no good for transfer? I'm asking coz fs has prescribed some progesterone pessaries to use so I'm curious

Thanks
    Reviews

Default PGS testing

Hi everyone. I'm back to a STIM cycle this week. I've stayed off the forums for a month or so after my chemical pregnancies just to give myself a little break from the IVF world but also i'm in Victoria and some days it's all too much!

Wondering if any of you lovelies can help with sharing your experience? This STIM we're considering doing the PGS testing. I didn't do that on my other rounds so i'm just wondering what your experiences were like. Did you think it was a waste of $$? it's VERY expensive but i'm now 36 and i don't want to waste time with more failed FETs.

Also i'm seeing a different FS this time so obviously they pushed for that because i'm sure it's a bit extra in her pocket.

Would love (Read, it would desperately help me) to hear your thoughts about this.

Hope everyone is doing well. IVF is isolating most days let alone with a pandemic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryPie View Post
    @shazxy no worries not prying at all!
    The clinic I go to is one of the budget ones which doesn't offer general or local anaesthetic.
    I didn't know what it would be like and the fs & nurses keep telling me it won't hurt much, so I thought I would give it a try, it was one hell of life experience I would say
    Having 3 frozen is great result!
    After my clinic has told me how many were fertilised, they wouldn't give me anymore updates as to whether or not the eggs have made it to Day 3. They just said, if I receive a call on the day of transfer, it will be to tell me that none has survived to Day 5, and the transfer has to be cancelled... The transfer is tomorrow and I'm hoping I won't receive a call from them in the morning, or I'll be devastated!
    Did they say why high progesterone level is no good for transfer? I'm asking coz fs has prescribed some progesterone pessaries to use so I'm curious
    They said that my lining was ready prematurely and it was not worth risking an embryo, i was supposed to take the gel stuff to thicken the lining but it must of done it, itself at the wrong time I think, wow I didn’t realise they didn’t offer general anesthetic.
    I actually think I was supposed to wait until they rang me on the 5th or 6th day but the nurse told me to ring on day 3 and ask to talk to the scientist, but he was kind of like why are you ringing but he still told me how they were going.

Got an appointment with FS on Monday but not really sure what happens next and what if I get AF before then, too many questions not enough answers.

How did it go? Hoping all good

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by suesue View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm back to a STIM cycle this week. I've stayed off the forums for a month or so after my chemical pregnancies just to give myself a little break from the IVF world but also i'm in Victoria and some days it's all too much!

Wondering if any of you lovelies can help with sharing your experience? This STIM we're considering doing the PGS testing. I didn't do that on my other rounds so i'm just wondering what your experiences were like. Did you think it was a waste of $$? it's VERY expensive but i'm now 36 and i don't want to waste time with more failed FETs.

Also i'm seeing a different FS this time so obviously they pushed for that because i'm sure it's a bit extra in her pocket.

Would love (Read, it would desperately help me) to hear your thoughts about this.

Hope everyone is doing well. IVF is isolating most days let alone with a pandemic.
    My PGS experience/thoughts...

TLDR: PGS isn't a silver bullet, and it has potential risks, but in some cases (like mine) it's probably worthwhile. My FS has previously said publicly that it might be recommended for older women who've had multiple miscarriages for no obvious reason. With no medical training, I think it might be worthwhile for you (but also, insist on a hysteroscopy!! no way of really knowing you don't have fibroids or scar tissue or other structural issues unless they actually look!!)

Context: I'm now 36, in my fifth stim cycle, having done 12 transfers with only 1 pregnancy on transfer #5 (MMC at the 7 week scan). This will be our 2nd time doing PGS testing.

The month we fell pregnant (October 2018) was supposed to be a freeze-all for PGS testing. We'd had 4 failed transfers of good embryos that were pretty much unexplained (thin-ish lining for our 2 FETs, but not really for our 2 fresh given all the extra follicles/hormones). My FS said then PGS wasn't a silver bullet, but could be something we could do to try another line of investigation. However, I only produced 3 follicles, so rather than waste a cycle we did a FET, and she stuck - until her heart stopped beating.

By the time my body had returned to baseline post-miscarriage (February/March), my FS had attended another conference where he'd again heard Dr Norbert Gleicher speak about the flaws/risks with PGS. That, combined with the mild septum he'd observed during my D&C 8 weeks after miscarriage (which he thought was a more likely contributor to our issues), led him to suggest that PGS wasn't right for us, which I wholeheartedly agreed with (Dr Gleicher is pretty persuasive - google).

Fast forward another year and 5 more failed transfers, and after consulting with colleagues about our now officially complex/unexplained case, he gently suggested PGS might be worth the risk to rule out chromosomal issues as our main cause of infertility. We did a stim cycle, transferred 1 fresh blast untested, and sent 3 for testing. 2 came back with "no abnormality detected", and 1 came back with Trisomy 21. Perfectly average result, and even though we had a T21, that doesn't increase our risk of future embryos having T21. Chromosomal issues are unlikely to be our problem.

Sadly the transfer of our freshie from that cycle failed, our best tested frostie didn't survive the thaw, and the other frostie transfer failed last month.

Despite what I said above, we're doing PGS testing again this stim, because of how I reacted when I heard the T21 result. I'm so risk averse now, and I can't bear the thought of finally falling pregnant again only to be faced with a difficult decision later in the pregnancy, or losing the baby for chromosomal reasons without even making a decision. PGS doesn't guarantee that everything will be ok, but it's something.

I really encourage you to google Dr Gleicher's observations about how accurate PGS is/isn't, and the risk of a) damaging viable embryos, and b) discarding embryos that test mosaic/aneuploid but may still have been viable. In short, he (and others) aren't convinced the science is good enough yet to put any great faith in PGS, as evidenced by the similar live birth rates for tested vs. non-tested embryos. At the end of the day, they're testing a handful of cells from the future placenta (trophectoderm) and using it to make predictions about the future baby.

And yet, some of us (including me) are still willing to do it.

Very best of luck to you, and hoping you get your take home baby very soon

Thanks
    Reviews

Default IVF- July/August 2020

Quote Originally Posted by suesue View Post

The other thing you might want to think about is immunotherapy. It's still "earlier science" (even less proven than PGS), but is unlikely to hurt...

(Meanwhile, IVF with immunotherapy during a global pandemic, in winter: "Here, take these pills to suppress your immune system! But also, don't catch a cold or you can't have scans/bloods/procedures!")