+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby stopped taking the bottle

My bubba was taking the bottle like a champ until 8 weeks old. Then, mainly because of iso and I was always home, we didn’t really need to give her a bottle and didn’t...for about six weeks. She’s now three and a bit months and we tried giving her the bottle and she’s refusing to take it.

I’m all kinds of stressed out about it. I feel stupid for not keeping the bottle up.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and had success in getting their baby to take the bottle again?

Thanks ladies!

xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Didn't give DS a bottle until 6m old (and 4w before starting work). Not surprisingly, he refused.
    Took me a few weeks to find a teat he would accept, but now he will take a bottle for anyone , including me. I had to keep trying, got my partner to try etc etc. All the usual tricks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i never believed this could be a thing as ds took one from birth. then dd came along and showed me a thing or two

she took a bottle in her first two weeks of life then she got the hang of bf and so we didn’t use bottles really as there was no need. i tried giving her one at 4 or so months old and she screamed at me and refused to take it. it was really hard, knowing i couldn’t leave her with dh for more than a couple of hours.

i can’t even remember how we got her to take one, i think we just kept offering one a day of ebm and eventually she took it. but then i’d get slack and stop and she went off it again.

i realised at 10 months she’d be at daycare and would need to be able to take one and i got serious at that point and we finally got her to take one. from that point until earlier this month, she was just having bottles at daycare and i was bf.

it’s a bit of a tightrope, you want them to be happy to take a bottle, but not so happy to take it that they lose interest in bf. which is what happened with ds. i’d offer no more than one bottle a day; it’s enough for them to be familiar with but no so much that they get used to it (assuming you wish to continue bf).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (23-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Baby stopped taking the bottle

I had to trick my DD years ago. Id do it for a night time sleepy feed - start with boob then do a switcheroo with a bottle.
    Once she got used to that i swapped a more regular feed time with 1 bottle day etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    I had to trick my DD years ago. Id do it for a night time sleepy feed - start with boob then do a switcheroo with a bottle.
    Once she got used to that i swapped a more regular feed time with 1 bottle day etc
    yes! you’ve jogged my memory now when we were trying to get ds and dd to take boob initially, the lc said to do the mid
    feed switcheroo, holding bub in bf position and feed with bottle, then once they’re into the feed, offer boob. i applied the same logic in reverse when i was getting dd to take a bottle. with a bit of persistence, it worked. i’d advise using bottles that mimic what they do on the boob, otherwise they’re swamped with milk and tend to gag a bit. with ds we used the medela calma teats and with dd i used the pigeon peristaltic teats.