+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default First trimester anxiety& low mood

Hello there!

I am in my first trimester(first baby). I have always been a bit anxious/prone to low mood. Last year I was started on an SSRI which I weaned off to try for a baby. I had been feeling ok but in the last 2 weeks I have been really struggling. I have chatted to my husband and a close friend about it and they seem to think its just 'normal' pregnancy blues. Would like to hear about some other people's experiences!

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It’s completely normal to feel very anxious and have low mood and be completely all over the place in pregnancy, first trimester is the worst I think. Your hormones will be around through the whole pregnancy, so expect to feel more sensitive than usual throughout the whole pregnancy. It’s hard to get through sometimes but You’re not alone and it’s very normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It’s normal I guess. I find myself crying so much at anything, snapping at hubby and just overall feeling like crap.. but I read somewhere that the crappy feeling means everything is going well... 🥴🤷‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    There are certainly hormonally-influenced mood changes that can occur - but I'd be weary of classifying what you're feeling as 'normal' because that may prevent you from seeking help. I think if you were to ask 20 pregnant women if they've had anxiety, 18 would say yes - but our interpretation is subjective.

Extra teariness, feeling triggered by things that wouldn't normally cause you upset (I watched a documentary about dolphins and bawled my eyes out) and feeling a sense of anxiety over birth/parenthood are common things during pregnancy but they tend to be transient - if what you're feeling is ongoing, if the thoughts are obtrusive and intense to the point that they interfere with day to day life...then I'd say it's better to err on the side of caution and look into getting some help/information. Even if it's just a case of being overly cautious - it's easier to get these things looked into now than when you have a newborn on your hands x