+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Inguinal Hernia - delayed diagnosis

So despite photographic evidence and inconclusive ultrasound going back to October last year, two paediatric surgeons and his regular GP dismissing my concerns, my son was finally diagnosed with an inguinal hernia yesterday. Who knew all I had to do was make the happiest baby on the planet cry to get this picked up.

But because the bowel is coming through a canal (he has a large hydrocele so the bulge was always dismissed as fluid and is coming through the same opening) it can go back in easily it’s not classified as an emergency (accordingly to the sonographer and Dr at the radiologist clinic). I’m waiting for another referral to get back into the WCH, his next appointment for his hydrocele follow up isn’t until Feb next year.

I guess I’m just annoyed as all my research says that surgery should be performed ASAP. I’d think it would be easier to keep an infant rested after surgery then an active 1 year old toddler! Not to mention the risks. Even though he’s had this a long time, I’m worried and scared at the chance of a strangulation or complication.

Anyone have any experiences where this wasn’t picked up? And hoping to hear positive outcomes!

I’m so mad I didn’t trust my gut instincts. I knew he had a hernia this entire time. I’m also so mad that because I requested the first ultrasound, I had to pay for it, where this follow up one was bulk billed. Surely all imaging for infants and children should be covered. We pay enough taxes... but that’s another story.

I am thankful however that I took my son in to rule out an ear infection as he was having these strange late night vomiting spells / constipation / enlarged tight hydroceles (ummm hernia complications/major warning signs here!) and the Dr we saw by off chance dressed in a full hazmat suit (thanks Covid-19) listened to his history, my concerns and scared the living out of my son to see it.

Now maybe we can get his hydrocele and hernia sorted but I’m not looking forward to having him leave my side for surgery

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forget how old your son is but I am pretty sure you have posted before? I haven’t been posting here for a while.

I am sure I answered you about the hydrocele thing. Well my son also had a small hernia from infancy. He had reflux from about 2 wks old so maybe that caused it?
    It mainly looked like his belly button had a bubble behind it about the size of a 20c piece. He’s almost 9 and hardly went to the dr because he was otherwise very healthy, I can’t even remember if it was ever picked up. By the time he was up and walking it had disappeared.
    Along with the hydroceles that also corrected themselves in time.

I guess I’m just trying to assure you that maybe it isn’t an urgent issue. Of course I don’t know how bad it looks and all the details but these things can correct themselves in babies under one.
    Hope everything works out xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks BlueBirdGirl. It’s a groin hernia so I think these always need a surgical repair, his belly button hernia disappeared a long time ago thankfully. He just turned 1 end of May.

I thought he had silent reflux when a baby abc now possibly allergies. Something is causing the chronic constipation so all that straining probably caused the inguinal hernia. Poor guy.

I’m so glad your not so little one now didn’t need the surgery. I was hoping that was going to be the outcome for the hydrocele but maybe not now with the hernia?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I’m sorry! I should have googled. Of course I was thinking of is it hiatal?

I guess you will have to keep pushing for help, often how it goes unfortunately.

Has anything in his diet changed? I guess the first foods to look at with constipation are dairy, especially cheese and white flour. Banana can constipate some people too.
    If it’s not a dietary change I would definitely keep pursuing it with the doctors.
    All the best xo