+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Sudden gush of vaginal discharge in pregnancy

Hi girls
    Just wanted some reassurance and stories from you guys if you had ++ discharge in pregnancy.
    I am 22.5 weeks and yesterday morning felt 2 small gushes of discharge soaking about 1 panty liner full. First gush was very watery discharge which was a bit whitish and second one I could feel the baby kicking onto my bladder and I think it might be pee cause it’s pale yellow colour. Nothing else since then- completely dry. Obs reviewed and said not amniotic fluid.
    I had similar encounter previous pregnancy at 31 weeks then had few more small gushes once a week or 2 then had my baby 1 month later! I’m not sure if this is related or not! So my question is:
    1) has anyone had this small gushes of discharge on and off ? And end up with normal pregnancy full term?
    2) anyone had hindwater leak before?
    3) if you had early amniotic fluid leak did you make it full term?

Thanks in advance! I’m just a worry wort!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did they do a swab? There’s a specific swab test that can be done to determine the presence of amniotic fluid. It takes 5 mins.

If they did and it was negative, then unlikely to be amniotic fluid. It could be urine or could also be normal discharge. There is an increase in va.ginal discharge in pregnancy too which can quite often make you feel quite damp. The best thing you can do is take your underwear/pad/liner with you when you get checked out, as it’s far easier to tell by smell what the fluid is than by description.

Also keep an eye on how you feel in general. If your waters have broken, even as a hind water leak, then your risk of infection is increased. Any fevers, high heart rate, feeling unwell/fluey (not respiratory symptoms though) then definitely get checked out again, even in absence further fluid leaking.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    Did they do a swab? There’s a specific swab test that can be done to determine the presence of amniotic fluid. It takes 5 mins.

If they did and it was negative, then unlikely to be amniotic fluid. It could be urine or could also be normal discharge. There is an increase in va.ginal discharge in pregnancy too which can quite often make you feel quite damp. The best thing you can do is take your underwear/pad/liner with you when you get checked out, as it’s far easier to tell by smell what the fluid is than by description.

Also keep an eye on how you feel in general. If your waters have broken, even as a hind water leak, then your risk of infection is increased. Any fevers, high heart rate, feeling unwell/fluey (not respiratory symptoms though) then definitely get checked out again, even in absence further fluid leaking.
    MLadyEm no he didn’t do any swabs cause he was pretty sure it is just normal vaginal discharge. By the time I put a pad on it was yellowish in colour so that was urine I think . The first gush has whitish discharge but was very very watery. I hope it is not small amt of amniotic fluid. Yes I will monitor my symptoms. Thanks heaps!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I had similar at around 30+ weeks - I was thinking my water had broken because I'd never had that much leak before. They did a swab, no amniotic fluid. I got induced at 41 weeks so it was definitely not a precursor to labour or anything like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatormusic View Post
    Yes I had similar at around 30+ weeks - I was thinking my water had broken because I'd never had that much leak before. They did a swab, no amniotic fluid. I got induced at 41 weeks so it was definitely not a precursor to labour or anything like that.
    Oh thank you for replying! That gives me some reassurance !! Thanks
    Was it just once off thing or did u have that on and off throughout the pregnancy ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely had it on and off - needed liners most days during a particular period (I think between 28-33 weeks) but it was just once or twice where the quantity and rush had me a bit concerned. I'm not usually leaky at all so I was a bit confused about what is/isn't normal but I knew it was way more than just a bit of bladder leakage or discharge.

It was transparent, very watery with no real odour (maybe a slight chemically smell) so I didn't think it was pee but who knows...I was 41 weeks + 5 days when I got induced and even then, it took 24 hours for anything to happen so my concerns about early labour were definitely unfounded.

I think due to the pressure on our bladders during pregnancy, it's common to leak urine without the sensation of actually peeing and since we're peeing so often, the colour and smell is so diluted, you would think it's something else. I put it down to that anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elevatormusic View Post
    Definitely had it on and off - needed liners most days during a particular period (I think between 28-33 weeks) but it was just once or twice where the quantity and rush had me a bit concerned. I'm not usually leaky at all so I was a bit confused about what is/isn't normal but I knew it was way more than just a bit of bladder leakage or discharge.

It was transparent, very watery with no real odour (maybe a slight chemically smell) so I didn't think it was pee but who knows...I was 41 weeks + 5 days when I got induced and even then, it took 24 hours for anything to happen so my concerns about early labour were definitely unfounded.

I think due to the pressure on our bladders during pregnancy, it's common to leak urine without the sensation of actually peeing and since we're peeing so often, the colour and smell is so diluted, you would think it's something else. I put it down to that anyway
    Thank you for replying . That gives me some reassurance. Fingers crossed all will be fine .