+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Son seems distant towards me!

Did you find your 5 - 6 year old just decided he didn’t want hugs as much anymore around this age? My son normally loves hugs and he has recently been distant to me in some ways, as if he dislikes me but also following me around the house worried I’ll leave him and telling me he loves me all the time. My ex mil has once again started to alienate him from me so I guess I’m wondering if it’s because of her or do boys lose that connection with their Mum around 5-6? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My son is still very affectionate and he’s nearly 10. Not that that means they all are but I think your MIL could very possibly be a factor in his behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks. He normally loves me and wants me to sit with him on the couch and calls me back for lots of bedtime cuddles! I’m on night shift tonight and he kept saying I’d better go to work now and he didn’t want a hug at bedtime. Extremely unusual for him! He normally tries to get me to stay with him until he falls asleep and some nights I do! My Mum is looking after them so maybe he just wanted Nanna time but it’s not just tonight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If it is a sudden change then it us highly likely it is related to what your exMIL is telling the kids about you behind your back.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    If it is a sudden change then it us highly likely it is related to what your exMIL is telling the kids about you behind your back.
    I think with everything going on for you at the moment, I'd say this is definitely related. DS7 is and always has been so super cuddly. I've taught a lot of 11-12 year olds and their mum's often confess how sweet and cuddly they are at home (as they're often full of bravado at school). DD12 got a bit less cuddly once she fully hit puberty, but still wants a hug every day.

It sounds like he is going to need some counselling, a neutral party to help him work though the way the adults in his life are behaving. Based on my recent experience trying to seek fairly urgent mental health support for DS, I would get onto this now as the wait list for non-urgent cases is quite long. So better to get him on the wait list sooner than later.