+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breech at 35 weeks, ECV advised for 37 weeks if bub doesn’t turn. What to expect?

At my 33 week growth scan baby was positioned in frank breech, at 35 weeks he’s still breech. I’ve been trying some of the inversion poses on spinning babies and will be starting moxibustion with my acupuncturist. For those that have had an ECV was it successful? The idea of it makes me nervous and am unsure how risky it actually is. FYI, I also have marginal cord insertion (cord is positioned at edge of placenta not middle). Thanks for any advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had an ECV with my third child. She was diagnosed as breech around the 32/33 week mark and sat there firmly until 37 weeks.

I am one of the lucky ones - my ECV was successful.

The ob who performed mine had a lot of experience. Unlike most she did not like using drugs to "relax" the uterus as she preferred to work within the pain threshhold of the mother. She also felt that she had the most success with woman who had already had a baby as their stomach muscles did not have as much tone as a first time mum.

I was really nervous before the procedure. However there was nothing to worry about. It was all over in a couple of minutes. I went into hospital and they set me up in the delivery room. The midwives set me up with monitors for a period of time before the procedure, just to check bub's heart rate etc was okay. Then obstetrician walked in. The ECV felt like a very enthusiastic massage. When DD was transverse, I let out a few choice swear words. The obstetrician gave one more push and DD flipped and locked into place. I was monitored for a bit more to make sure DD was okay and to check the ECV didn't put me into labor.

I then went on to have a completely natural childbirth at 40 weeks. Up until that point I had been all psyched up to have a c/s, then I freaked out when she stayed put as I wasn't mentally prepared for a natural delivery. Despite coming out just shy of 10lbs she was actually my easiest baby to deliver.

Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

sathwa (02-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breech at 35 weeks, ECV advised for 37 weeks if bub doesn’t turn. What to expect?

Quote Originally Posted by sathwa View Post
    At my 33 week growth scan baby was positioned in frank breech, at 35 weeks he’s still breech. I’ve been trying some of the inversion poses on spinning babies and will be starting moxibustion with my acupuncturist. For those that have had an ECV was it successful? The idea of it makes me nervous and am unsure how risky it actually is. FYI, I also have marginal cord insertion (cord is positioned at edge of placenta not middle). Thanks for any advice
    Heya.

Not quite responding to your question but my DD was a frank breech and I opted not to have the ECV. She was IVF and I didn’t want to gamble with even the 1% chance of loss. I opted to have a C section instead. Unless you’re hell bent on having vaginal birth then maybe ask yourself why it’s being done? I hear it’s not that comfortable tbh and the success rate is low. This study says it’s only 14% although I’m not sure if that’s recent.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3987362/
    Last edited by amiracle4me; 02-06-2020 at 15:01.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

sathwa (02-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I had one and it was successful and I would do it again without a doubt. Definitely worth giving it a go imo. Unlike pp I wouldn’t jump at a csection before giving this a try. I was asked not to have anything to eat or drink before hand, they made sure there was a theatre standing by “just in case”, they also gave me an injection to “relax” my muscles, rechecked babies position and also monitored him beforehand, the dr then did the procedure, he had to dig in quite deep to lift bubs bum out of my pelvis, that was the worst of it, once he was up and out and free, it was about two gentle pushes around like a sweeping massage and plonk he went head first. I then had to stay there for about an hour while they monitored baby again, then I was free to go. Bub stayed head down, I was a bit internally sore only where he had to dig him out, but I had a successful vaginally birth at just over 40 wks.
    Last edited by stacey10; 02-06-2020 at 06:14.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (02-06-2020),sathwa (02-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an unsuccessful one at 37 weeks. They only tried for a couple of minutes before realising he wasn’t going to move, it was quite uncomfortable but didn’t last long - I’m still glad we tried as it made it easier to accept that I needed a c-section, and I have no regrets now about how it all turned out.

I understood that the risks were fairly low, they checked carefully on ultrasound where the cord was before doing anything, and I was monitored afterwards to make sure everything was ok.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ivyninja For This Useful Post:

sathwa (07-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one that was unsuccessful. I tried everything to turn bubs - burnt moxa sticks at my little toes, somersaults in the swimming pool, fit ball - nothing worked. I refused to book in for a c-section in the hope bubs would turn in labour so waited for it to start naturally but at 7cm dilated and no turning in sight got rushed off for an emergency c-section. You can only do your best.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

sathwa (07-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for sharing your experience ladies. I'm still in two minds mainly because of the marginal cord insertion and whether an ECV is advisable in those conditions. I'm going to have a good chat with my Ob at my 36 week appt this week. If he considers it completely safe then my feeling is to attempt it and hope for success.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sathwa For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (07-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update to say we had a successful ECV this week. Only one attempt required. It was uncomfortable but not painful and very glad we attempted it. Now just hoping bub stays head down!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sathwa For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (20-06-2020),Green Cheese (18-06-2020),Mamasupial (18-06-2020),Mum-I-Am (18-06-2020),SSecret Squirrel (18-06-2020),stacey10 (18-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent news, glad you tried it and it worked, fingers crossed bub stays head down !

17. The Following User Says Thank You to stacey10 For This Useful Post:

sathwa (19-06-2020)