+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frances Perry reviews/insights

Hey Ladies, for those who have given birth at Frances Perry recently can you give me some insight into your experience? Staff, birth room, food, what supplies are provided for bub and mum, etc. I have searched the forum and most threads are a little old so hoping for some recent (2019/2020) experiences.

FTM and due at the end of June and due to the virus have not been able to do a tour so hoping to get an idea of what everyone else's experience was like. Positives, negatives, whatever you want to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance and looking forward to reading some insights.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    we had our second at fph, elective cs. it was nice enough, it’s a private section of an otherwise public hospital, so it wasn’t super luxe or anything. my stay was 4 nights all up, but i was able to do the last 2 at the grand hyatt under the parenting program. this was amazing. i’m not sure they’re running this currently though due to covid so you might need to check that. the room we were in was pretty crappy and small, i’m told they’re either small but have views, or are on the other side with no views but room is bigger. i’d personally get a larger room as ours was very poky and had no space for storage of bags etc. all rooms have private en suite which is good. bed wasn’t huge, no room for hubby to stay in so he slept on an ancient fold out squeaky couch. it was every bit as
    uncomfortable as it looked. i was a bit shocked that a private hospital would have such dated facilities but anyway. it was ok for 2 nights but i couldn’t wait to leave and go to the hotel.

i had my first at werribee mercy, which is a public hospital but used to be private. it had a nice vibe, i also got my own queen room there (emergency cs so they put you up in a bigger room due to longer stay) and the bed was a proper queen size so dh could actually sleep in it too.

tbh, i wouldn’t say fph was that much nicer than werribee mercy. the benefits of fph this time around for me were going private and having my own obstetrician, and having the option to access the parenting program (hyatt stay). but my main reason for going there was because my chosen ob works out of there or st vincent’s, and fph was more convenient for us to get to from the inner west. i wanted the continuity of care with my second pregnancy given i was having an elective cs.

which ob are you using?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

doglilac (19-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    staff were fine, very attentive on my first night as i’d just had surgery but second night i found it hard to flag someone down. i needed something and had to press the buzzer 2 or 3 times, which was frustrating as hubby was at home with the toddler and i still wasn’t that mobile on my own due to the cs.

food was ok, maybe a notch above werribee mercy. they had wine on the menu which was nice, werribee mercy didn’t have that option. doubtful you’re drinking much given bf plus i was on painkillers after the cs, so wasn’t keen to add alcohol to the mix. but it’s an option if your partner wishes to have a glass.

every single extra is charged for, partner staying overnight, partner meals etc. i was a bit surprised as all this was covered at werribee mercy (well not his meals, but he could stay for free). parking is also not cheap at fph but they do a little deal, i think it’s $77 (or was as of april 2019) for a fixed 3 or 4 nights so you can come and go as you like.

there’s not much provided for mum at fph, so bring all your own pads, nursing pads, nice shower gel etc. the hospital standard issue is pretty harsh and nasty smelling. for baby they give you a pack of newborn nappies (huggies) and from memory they had wipes too? you get that bounty bag anyway which has a few things you can use.
    i brought all my own stuff with me as i was using werribee mercy as a reference and nothing is supplied.

the hospital should give you a list of what to pack with the registration paperwork, although from memory it wasn’t terribly helpful.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

doglilac (19-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Adjustments.jpgIMG_2689.jpgAdjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

couple of pics of mine and hubby’s meals plus the views out of the window, first one is at 10pm at night and the second pic is 6:45am the next morning.

pretty nice views but when you’re with a newborn, likely in pain and sleep deprived and just trying to survive, the view kind of gets overlooked. i would request a bigger room without a view and have more comfort. my ob told me the bigger rooms have the queen bed, the rooms with views have the crappy hospital style single beds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    staff were fine, very attentive on my first night as i’d just had surgery but second night i found it hard to flag someone down. i needed something and had to press the buzzer 2 or 3 times, which was frustrating as hubby was at home with the toddler and i still wasn’t that mobile on my own due to the cs.

food was ok, maybe a notch above werribee mercy. they had wine on the menu which was nice, werribee mercy didn’t have that option. doubtful you’re drinking much given bf plus i was on painkillers after the cs, so wasn’t keen to add alcohol to the mix. but it’s an option if your partner wishes to have a glass.

every single extra is charged for, partner staying overnight, partner meals etc. i was a bit surprised as all this was covered at werribee mercy (well not his meals, but he could stay for free). parking is also not cheap at fph but they do a little deal, i think it’s $77 (or was as of april 2019) for a fixed 3 or 4 nights so you can come and go as you like.

there’s not much provided for mum at fph, so bring all your own pads, nursing pads, nice shower gel etc. the hospital standard issue is pretty harsh and nasty smelling. for baby they give you a pack of newborn nappies (huggies) and from memory they had wipes too? you get that bounty bag anyway which has a few things you can use.
    i brought all my own stuff with me as i was using werribee mercy as a reference and nothing is supplied.

the hospital should give you a list of what to pack with the registration paperwork, although from memory it wasn’t terribly helpful.

thank you that was the kind of info I was after. Wow thats all sounding a little disappointing considering they are private and I would expect some luxury to be provided. In all honesty the main reason Im going private is like you I wanted my own obstetrician so that really is the most important thing for me (its been a long journey of ivf and losses). I guess at the end of the day as long as I have a healthy baby and continuity of care from my trusted ob i'm willing to forgo some of those luxuries. Good to know about the rooms (I will def opt for the bigger one if I can). They have suspended the Park Hyatt program due to the virus which is a bummer as I would have loved to go there. Although who knows things might change by the end of June so I will ask them to keep me updated. I have been gathering all the things for my/bub/hubby hospital bag and thought I would be overpacking but it seems like I will need to take all the things I have. Disappointed to hear about the bed for hubby (wondering whether I should say anything hahaha). Interesting they charge extra for partner. I might need to add that to the list of questions I have for my health care fund. Thank you again that was great insight.

My obstetrician is Dr Faris. He is so laid back and has been great. I don't think he ever sleeps hahaha

Btw your bub is gorgeous. I have always read your diary. Any plans for number 3?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doglilac For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (19-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found the same things as TC when I was there in July last year. There are definitely fancier private hospitals with better food and perks.
    I chose FPH as I wanted to be near the Royal Women's in case anything went wrong, and bub and I needed immediate assistance from docs who had seen everything before.
    I had full trust in my ob at FPH. I had a loss with another ob at a different hospital and felt abandoned by them after the D&C. I couldn't face going back into that particular hospital again after that, so was happy to look elsewhere.
    If you can get into the hotel program, I would def go if you're feeling up to it. And order All The Food.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

doglilac (20-05-2020),turquoisecoast (20-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Frances Perry reviews/insights

she’s right! the hotel was amazing. the room service was soo good. it was such a nice mini vacay and lovely to be out of the cold medical hospital, obviously pending a clean bill of health for both mum and bub. the breastfeeding room at the hyatt is stunning at night, comfy couches and 360 views of the cbd. you won’t want to go home

eta: the proximity of fph to the children’s is also comforting. they said if anything goes wrong with bub, the children’s is right there and bub can be whizzed across. i liked that aspect also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ565 View Post
    I found the same things as TC when I was there in July last year. There are definitely fancier private hospitals with better food and perks.
    I chose FPH as I wanted to be near the Royal Women's in case anything went wrong, and bub and I needed immediate assistance from docs who had seen everything before.
    I had full trust in my ob at FPH. I had a loss with another ob at a different hospital and felt abandoned by them after the D&C. I couldn't face going back into that particular hospital again after that, so was happy to look elsewhere.
    If you can get into the hotel program, I would def go if you're feeling up to it. And order All The Food.
    Im sorry for your loss and how you felt at the other hospital. It really is important isn't it to have someone who you can call on and know will be there for you in those times. I feel the same way and think the obs is the most important thing. Everything else is a bonus. Yeah it seems like the company that runs Frances Perry have some super fancy private maternity units in other states. NSW in particular. Regarding the hotel programs it looks like for now its not happening (weirdly in NSW its still happening but I guess with VIC things are more strict restrictions with Covid). And like you said the other bonus is being close to the Women's and the Children's should anything happen which is great. A friend of mine gave birth earlier this year at the Mercy in Heidelberg and baby had to be taken to the Children's' and it was horrible being so far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    she’s right! the hotel was amazing. the room service was soo good. it was such a nice mini vacay and lovely to be out of the cold medical hospital, obviously pending a clean bill of health for both mum and bub. the breastfeeding room at the hyatt is stunning at night, comfy couches and 360 views of the cbd. you won’t want to go home

eta: the proximity of fph to the children’s is also comforting. they said if anything goes wrong with bub, the children’s is right there and bub can be whizzed across. i liked that aspect also.

Ok now I'm really hoping things change and the hotel program happens. It sounds amazing!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to doglilac For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast (20-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by doglilac View Post
    thank you that was the kind of info I was after. Wow thats all sounding a little disappointing considering they are private and I would expect some luxury to be provided. In all honesty the main reason Im going private is like you I wanted my own obstetrician so that really is the most important thing for me (its been a long journey of ivf and losses). I guess at the end of the day as long as I have a healthy baby and continuity of care from my trusted ob i'm willing to forgo some of those luxuries. Good to know about the rooms (I will def opt for the bigger one if I can). They have suspended the Park Hyatt program due to the virus which is a bummer as I would have loved to go there. Although who knows things might change by the end of June so I will ask them to keep me updated. I have been gathering all the things for my/bub/hubby hospital bag and thought I would be overpacking but it seems like I will need to take all the things I have. Disappointed to hear about the bed for hubby (wondering whether I should say anything hahaha). Interesting they charge extra for partner. I might need to add that to the list of questions I have for my health care fund. Thank you again that was great insight.

My obstetrician is Dr Faris. He is so laid back and has been great. I don't think he ever sleeps hahaha

Btw your bub is gorgeous. I have always read your diary. Any plans for number 3?
    i haven’t heard of dr faris.

aww thanks. honestly probably no third bub. i’m 40 in july () and i feel like as nice as a third would be and i adore babies, it would probably be a handful for us. but never say never!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

SJ565 (20-05-2020)