+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default COVID 19 testing. hints to streamline families getting tested.

maybe this site can have a separate section re covid 19 issues

if your child or children ever have a sniffle fever cough etc you might be asked by their childcare or school to get the entire family tested. this might happen repetitively with normal childrens illness and symptoms in winter or any time

testing isnt made easy so i'd really advise you to prepare now with being clear about
    choices of places to go to and supplies you need food drink nappies phone charger
    the hotline doesnt give a full list only mostly big hospitals where you might be more at risk of catching the virus indoors at a hospital than at a drive through place
    if online you find drive through places then
    like other places the waits can be long hours
    so be prepared with food water nappies potties toilet paper wipes toys books phone charger whatever you need to be with your kids waiting inyour car or elsewhere for testing
    the childcare/school / work have your email and ph no so it would help if they simply tell you asap that they want you to be tested so you can prepared yourself and not wait till you front up there and suddenly say with no notice or preparationsorry we cant care for your kids go test your entire family now. so i'd advise everyone to prepare now for where you will go and what you will need food drink etc for a few hour wait.

testing places might not have a queue system so if child needs food drink or toilet you might lose your place and have to start waiting all over again for another few hours even if you arrived first early that day and have a bunch of young kids with you

there is no easy list of all places to carry around with you while caring for a bunch of kids to see where is best
    there is no streamlining for is you have a bunch of very young babies children with you or if you have reasons why you are more vulnerable and shouldnt be at a big hospital where you might catch it while simply going for a test

i feel that drs supermarkets news a current affair pharmacies should be warning us giving us papers with details to prepare now in the event we need testing of where we will go and having supplies with us for ourselves or kids so we arent caught offguard and shocked and waiting hours for tests with no food drink etc and young kids

theres no easy online email to send info we learn for the gov to improve these detaills.

testing is the foundation of stopping the spread with wanting to open up the economy and saving lives but theres alot of difficulties for those who need to get tested and if you have young kids with you even hardera to try to navigate websites for info and organise choices and wait hours.

on the hotline they didnt even tell me about drive by testing but on the website it is there but also might be hard to navigate with so much info it really needs to be made much easier and people need to prepare ahead of time if they want it easier when it actually happens

i hope we wont need this year much repeptitive testing with a bunch of kids and the normal colds fever cough flu vomiting athma/ wheezing that could occur.

the testing place after hours of waiting kept insisting that they wont test us as we dont fit the criteria but i knew childcare wouldnt accept my kids until we were tested so i had to keep insisting while they kept refusing. very stressful. all of these needs much more attention preparation to streamline testing to prevent deaths and the spread and open the economy. this really needs much more attention and ease for australians and families

maybe hints others learnt can be shared
    Last edited by angela22; 06-05-2020 at 13:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is this your experience or a question? Nowhere in Australia will test you or your kids just because daycare want it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Which state are you in? My friend was tested recently at a normal pathology centre after a GP referral. No wait, no bother.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (07-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default covid testing made easier sharing hints for covid testing

wow those few helpful words re pathology would change peoples lives.

many are having few hour wait times with a bunch of hungry thirsty kids in big indoor hospitals where they are at risk of catching the virus while trying to be test

now my hints for easiest covid testing would be the following

If u need covid testing the easiest way in Australia seems to b

1. Get a Tele consult apointment by phone with gp. Find one that’s easy to get one fast and convenient
    2. 2 Then they will email u the pathology slip

3 Then phone the pathology and make an appointment . U need an appointment these days for pathology

4 then get tested quickly locally easily with no wait time at pathology

5 take food water snacks masks nappies books etc if u think there might b a wait time

Otherwise without this info u can really suffer with hours of long wait times , with hungry thirsty children , in big indoor hospitals , where u r more likely to catch the virus , while simply seeking a test

The hotline is not very helpful because it only tells u about big indoor places , mostly big hospitals with a few hours wait time which is hard with a bunch of young kids especially if u t caught off guard aBd don’t realise to take supplies for a few hours wait food drinks books masks nappies et.
    The hotline or schools ‘/childcare /work , don’t remind u to Take supplies for a few hours of wait

Online on government health sites there r more choices given
    also of drive thru testing
    but again a few hours wait and no toilets drink food available at drive thru places
    so take supplies for a few hour wait and preferably take another adult because if a child needs toilet during the few hours of wait then u will lose ur place and need to start the few hour wait again

Schools work childcare can ask for tests repetitively these days every time any child has any symptom cough fever cold gastro wheezing headache

Hopefully they give u notice to get ready and don’t just shock u one day when u show up telling u to test ur whole family without giving u any notice to organise and be prepared

Hopefully this info can help others have a smoother testing experience

If u find other hints pls share them

if childcare /school/ work asks for your family to get tested after one member has any of many symptoms and you then go to a testing place and wait a few hours . the testing place might refuse to test you saying you dont fit the criterea. you might insist till they do the test because school childcare work wont allow you back till you do , or you can use the gp tele consult and the pathology slip and pathology testing for a no wait easier experience

so even when work, school, childcare all reopens, adults and children can be home for a few days days till testing is done and results come back negative . it can take 1-3 days for results to come back.
    Last edited by angela22; 08-05-2020 at 06:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes childcare insisted we all get tested despite that none of us had any symptoms
    People r not meant to get tested when they have no symptoms
    One child had temperAture an entire week ago they have been better and symptom free for a eeek now 10 days
    Siblings never had symptoms
    A week after the temperature stopped the childcare insisted we get tested with no notice . They told us as we fronted up to drop children to childcare with no notice so with young children In Tow we scrambled to try to find testing info . There was no toilet food water where we went and hours of wait and we had to restart the hours of wait when a child needed toilet and we lost our place
    The testing place was refusing to test us saying we don’t fit the criteria
    And we had to insist we get tested because childcare were blocking us attending until we were tested despite than none of us had symptoms
    Last edited by angela22; 08-05-2020 at 18:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Childcare are following national advice of not having any unwell.children in attendance. For all they know, your child with the temp could be in an incubation period.

I'm sorry but it's not their job to tell you what to prepare and pack, they don't know the wait times. You are the parent.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (09-05-2020),Mum-I-Am (09-05-2020),shadowangel0205 (08-05-2020),Twinkletoes Sparklebutt (09-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with above, you are the parent and it’s your responsibility to take what your kids might need.

I never take my kids anywhere without drinks, snacks, nappies, clean clothes and always more than I think I’ll need. That’s just parenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    If you live in a hotspot (going by the postcode in your profile you are in one) then the state government has urged everyone who lives/works/has visited a hotspot to get tested!