+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Career change

So, I am in need of advice. In 2011 I graduated as a nurse and got a great job. Since then I had kids and took a few maternity leaves, and for the past few years haven’t been working and just secured a position again recently. My heart is not in it. I am not enjoying it at all. I know there are so many different nursing jobs and maybe the one I got now isn’t for me...but for years I have been wanting to work in childcare. With babies, toddlers, preschoolers.. I love kids.
    When I studied nursing I paid all my fees in full, about $20K. And worked two jobs to support myself. I feel that changing a career would mean all my hard work went to waste. Also, childcare pay rate is half of nursing.
    Don’t want to be stuck with a job where I am counting the minutes till I clock off either..
    Are there hubbers working in childcare? Is it a satisfying job?
    Thanks in advance xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I used to. It'saId got my diploma...It's changed a lot since I left. I'm looking at upskilling to a bachelor in teaching.

It's hard work, rewarding, lots of fun... but you CAN burn out easily.
    My last position, I was group leader of the 2-3yr group. But I shared a room with the 3-5yr group also. It was big,open, horrible acoustics, and very noisy! At any one time I had 17 toddlers, and only 1 "helper", and we had up to 32 in the room.
    Circumstances were not ideal. In 1 month I had 7 children graduate to me from the baby room. "2 were at risk", 1 was a severe biter (bruises, breaking the skin) and staff didn't address it effectively, another had zero boundaries and was a real life "donny" from the wild thornberries....and the other 3 were your average 2 year olds... it was a nightmare and until that month I was fine, but they all came up, some unable to even hold a spoon, at 2. (Ongoing issues with the staff in that room. What made it challenging was they were 2ic, and useless. The boss used to ask me and the 3-5 group leader to look over any rostering that the 2ic did as she really had no idea and would delegate 2ic jobs to us, because the 2ic, as I said, was hopeless). I was also part of the management committee, and head of policy development - rewriting them all from scratch (In my mind, a 2ic job)... and I just burnt out juggling it all.... and 6 months later I left.

However, whilst at other places with different setups and less role juggling, I never got that perpetually exhausted beyond all belief I can't cope feeling.

You see things you probably shouldn't, and some harsh realities come to light. You're put in challenging positionss (custody battles, illness and bedding to refuse care to stressed parents with no leave trying to bring in their clearly unwell child as they have no other choice etc, calling a parent to say that their cod has had their face gouged by another child the second time that week...)...

But you see so much amazing stuff too! E everything from first steps (however I've never admitted that to parents and just been excited to say "they're so close!!! They just neex a tiny bit more confidence"), you see them master a puzzle, writing their name, riding a bike, building a sandcastle, etc....you see timid children, ones that have severe separation anxiety come out of their shell and bloom.... it really is rewarding...
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 01-05-2020 at 15:53.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Sirena89 (01-05-2020),Thecrazycatlady (01-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just started a cert 111 in child care this week.. I use to work as a disability support worker before having my dd.. so far I am loving it! I also was studying social work & Psychology I will go back to that eventually, but for now I am happy to work and study child care .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Thecrazycatlady For This Useful Post:

Sirena89 (01-05-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecrazycatlady View Post
    I have just started a cert 111 in child care this week.. I use to work as a disability support worker before having my dd.. so far I am loving it! I also was studying social work & Psychology I will go back to that eventually, but for now I am happy to work and study child care .
    Who are you studying with? There is so many options, it’s hard to pick..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirena89 View Post
    Who are you studying with? There is so many options, it’s hard to pick..
    I am in Country Victoria so I just went with a TAFE as I had studied with them before and I was happy with them. It’s Victoria University polytechnic plus the course is only 6 mths instead of 9 or 12 mths that other places are doing...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Thecrazycatlady For This Useful Post:

Sirena89 (02-05-2020)