+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bee allergy

Hi ladies,

Just to preface this I am not seeking medical advice but rather just others' experiences. We are engaged with an allergist who we are going to see later this year.

At age 3 years my son had an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting. He had hives and his face and lips swelled up, we called an ambulance and they said he had some swelling of his airways (but he was crying and talking throughout thank goodness) and stridor upon arrival at hospital - so pretty serious. The ambos and doctors were amazing and sorted him out and since then we have had an epipen. He also had a skin prick test at the allergist and his reaction was very mild, which the allergist thought was at odds with the hospitals discharge summary.

He has been stung 3 times since (now 4.5) and each time has had only a local reaction, however I have given him the EpiPen straight away after being stung, without waiting for any signs of anaphylaxis.

Question for mums of kids allergic to bees, do you give the EpiPen straight away after a sting or do you wait to see what will happen? Any other experiences of having a child with a bee allergy? Obviously I will discuss with the allergist when I see him but I'm wondering if my son is one of the lucky ones who's allergy gets milder rather than more severe. OF COURSE - I will continue to err on the side of caution til I know for sure xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    Hi ladies,

Just to preface this I am not seeking medical advice but rather just others' experiences. We are engaged with an allergist who we are going to see later this year.

At age 3 years my son had an anaphylactic reaction to a bee sting. He had hives and his face and lips swelled up, we called an ambulance and they said he had some swelling of his airways (but he was crying and talking throughout thank goodness) and stridor upon arrival at hospital - so pretty serious. The ambos and doctors were amazing and sorted him out and since then we have had an epipen. He also had a skin prick test at the allergist and his reaction was very mild, which the allergist thought was at odds with the hospitals discharge summary.

He has been stung 3 times since (now 4.5) and each time has had only a local reaction, however I have given him the EpiPen straight away after being stung, without waiting for any signs of anaphylaxis.

Question for mums of kids allergic to bees, do you give the EpiPen straight away after a sting or do you wait to see what will happen? Any other experiences of having a child with a bee allergy? Obviously I will discuss with the allergist when I see him but I'm wondering if my son is one of the lucky ones who's allergy gets milder rather than more severe. OF COURSE - I will continue to err on the side of caution til I know for sure xx
    Hi love

Our son is similar, but he is allergic to ant bites, so is his father.

He had a mirror reaction to what you have described and we rushed him to hospital, they were amazing and sorted it out. He was only one.

We went to see an allergist and he conducted all the testing you described above and deemed the reaction as being mild.

He advised to only give the Epi pen if the reaction was severe, did your allergist give you an anaphylaxis plan to follow? Ours outlines how to determine a mild vs severe reaction and if mild we just administer some Zertec drops. He has since been bitten 2 times and has not had an as severe reaction and the antihistamines have worked a treat. My husband has also become mild and requires the same medication to calm his reaction. I hope your bubba is the same and it gets easier for you!

Xx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shellzand For This Useful Post:

Fi Poledancer (29-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thank you so much for the response, that is really helpful. They did give us the anaphylaxis plan but didn't specify whether we automatically give Epipen or wait for symptoms. They were quite vague about it, so I've been giving it straight up. But in future I might wait a little longer.