+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 Year Old waking several times at night!! Need suggestions please!

Hello!
    My daughter who is three has always been a great sleeper and loves a sleep in however, my 2 year old son is still waking several times at night. We have tried everything! Let him cry, go and comfort him, white noise, lullaby music, lavender oil in a diffuser, warmer sleep suit, heavier blanket( as our house gets quite cold) lighter sleep suite (maybe too hot) door closed, door open and admittedly we give up when he asks for ‘more milk’ and give a bottle which sends him back off to sleep only to wake again at some stage. To then wake at 5.30am!

His poor sister plus us are exhausted and I have no idea what else to do! He’s so miserable during the day and goes for a nap at 11.30 for an hour or 1.5 hours at the most.

We’ve also tried no nap as well which seems to make no difference!

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wish I could offer help but I’m no expert, but I can wholeheartedly sympathise with you.

I have a DS who just turned 2 and he was EXACTLY the same.

I did the same tried so many different things to try stop the wake ups but made no difference whatsoever.

Ultimately we ended up just doing what worked to get us through and keep some sanity and get more sleep which for us meant he could sometimes have two bottles a night which was not ideal in the long run.

We took away DS bottles completely about a month ago roughly and he has been sleeping much better, sleeps through most nights but has had a few wake ups this week think due to cold as he isn’t asking for milk just cuddle and back to bed. However this could have been purely coincidence and he just wasn’t ready to sleep through until now 🤷‍♀️

Try not to be hard on yourself, I’m sure there is a reason he is waking whether it be he wants milk, needs comfort, too hot/too cold, bad dream etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Does he have a small snack right before bed and only 100mls of milk then too?

Thanks
    Reviews

Hello.
    Might be worth being firm about no milk once he’s gone to bed. At 2 he definitely doesn’t need it so it’s more of a habit. It might be hardcore for a week or so but to be fair it sounds a bit like that anyways. Just offer water and a cuddle and that’s it. No talking, no engaging of any kind.
    Failing that I’d be open to cosleeping. I might get ripped a new one for suggesting it but we always brought my daughter into bed with us when she woke up as us ultimately we got more sleep. That’s personal preference tho. She’s now nearly 5 and has slept well since 3 on her own. She sleeps all night in her own room so we must have done something right as she was a horrendous sleeper for the first 18mths!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO (24-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This was our DD1 it was awful. We had some help from a sleep consultant and it was great.

Her basic points were:

Make sure she goes to sleep in her cot - if you rock, cuddle, feed to sleep that’s what she will need overnight.
    No milk in bedroom, she has her bottle downstairs before her shower and then absolutely no more milk.
    Lots of praise and reward- the “sleep fairy” visits and leave notes of encouragement or small gifts.
    Strict bedtime routine - she had us create a little book with pictures of each step.

So basically we would put DD1 into bed awake and she would cry. The first few days it took anywhere up to 20 minutes but she almost instantly slept through the night from that point and only wakes if she has an issue now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also , too much calcium zaps iron out the body . It’s so bloody hard though not to cave

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Loh4 (23-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Hello.
    Might be worth being firm about no milk once he’s gone to bed. At 2 he definitely doesn’t need it so it’s more of a habit. It might be hardcore for a week or so but to be fair it sounds a bit like that anyways. Just offer water and a cuddle and that’s it. No talking, no engaging of any kind.
    Failing that I’d be open to cosleeping. I might get ripped a new one for suggesting it but we always brought my daughter into bed with us when she woke up as us ultimately we got more sleep. That’s personal preference tho. She’s now nearly 5 and has slept well since 3 on her own. She sleeps all night in her own room so we must have done something right as she was a horrendous sleeper for the first 18mths!
    I agree, at 2 they can still be so vulnerable and scared on their own in a room away from you. How I’ve always done it which seems to have worked great for me is, I’ve always co slept til they are 1 years old and then I move them into their own bed but in the same room, honestly it’s just so much better that way, I tried ds2 in own room and it was a nightmare, several wakings a night and I was pregnant and so I went back to how I did it with the first, in his own bed in my room and finally it was better. I don’t know if it’s possible for you but it’s just what worked for me and if you did that combined with cut out all milk, because he’s waking automatically out of habit for his milk. If you cut out all the milk and he was still on his own, I’d say he would still wake up for you. If you had him in your room and he would still wake up for the milk, as that’s what he’s used to. Good luck though xo

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MuMtORiLeYandLeO For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (24-04-2020)