Closed Thread
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think it goes to show how many people actually live week to week. Not good.
    But see we don't live week to week. We have a big buffer of savings (allocated for renovations). However even that would run out eventually if we went into our worst case scenario.

I'm not crying "poor me, rich people problems, blah blah". I agree it is scary how many people live week to week. This has always worried me. My point is that there will be people who thought they had factored in every "predictable risk", set themselves up to minimise those risks, but may still find themselves in a very scary place, especially if they are being expected to just wear a loss of rent without any support (eg. payments freeze, council rates reduced, etc). That would be many people's concern when some of the dialogue out there is "landlords are rich, they can afford to take a hit".

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Chippa (17-04-2020),Mum-I-Am (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Also, after what the PM said the other day telling teachers to get back to school because kids were just staring at a screen (I was highly offended by this) he said after the cabinet meeting yesterday to listen to your state government and medical officers
    Daniel Andrews probably told him to STFU and stop contradicting everything he's been telling Victorians! 😂

May just be my bubble, but people in Vic seem happy with the clear divisiveness we seem to have had from our state government, even if it means we have some stricter regulations than other states. In the meantime, the amount of memes, clip montages and parodies of Scomo are evidence that people are finding his messaging unclear and downright confusing.

[I've also been offended by quite a few Morrison comments. Such as students losing a year of schooling. Has he NO faith in the skill and adaptability of teachers? Seriously? We get a new curriculum thrown at us every 5 years and some new pedagogical model thrust onto us every (what feels like) 5 minutes. Our whole job is about constantly adapting and we are accustomed to hard work and tight deadlines! And then as a parent, yes, some kids will not get support at home to continue their learning at home. But most parents are giving it a darn good go because MOST parents are pretty dang good!]

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (17-04-2020),BigRedV (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    So for our teacher members, I just had a chat with our foundation teacher and she told me they are struggling with the right balance of work to share because of their 54 foundation students across three classes 40 of those have opted for hard copy and not online learning. They have to provide the same work to both so they can’t send through YouTube videos or songs etc to those learning online. Hopefully some of those will change as they maybe access the system and see how it is set up but I really feel for the teachers on the challenge to set work like that.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post
    So for our teacher members, I just had a chat with our foundation teacher and she told me they are struggling with the right balance of work to share because of their 54 foundation students across three classes 40 of those have opted for hard copy and not online learning. They have to provide the same work to both so they can’t send through YouTube videos or songs etc to those learning online. Hopefully some of those will change as they maybe access the system and see how it is set up but I really feel for the teachers on the challenge to set work like that.
    We did digital and non digital and when we were developing the remote learning program, we did the digital one first then if there was a YouTube for counting or something, we just said count to 20 with an adult or sibling etc.

Even though they might not have a device, you would think most of the parents would have a phone at least. I think in some instances we said if you have access to a smart phone search YouTube for Jack Hartmann counting to twenty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Daniel Andrews probably told him to STFU and stop contradicting everything he's been telling Victorians!

May just be my bubble, but people in Vic seem happy with the clear divisiveness we seem to have had from our state government, even if it means we have some stricter regulations than other states. In the meantime, the amount of memes, clip montages and parodies of Scomo are evidence that people are finding his messaging unclear and downright confusing.

[I've also been offended by quite a few Morrison comments. Such as students losing a year of schooling. Has he NO faith in the skill and adaptability of teachers? Seriously? We get a new curriculum thrown at us every 5 years and some new pedagogical model thrust onto us every (what feels like) 5 minutes. Our whole job is about constantly adapting and we are accustomed to hard work and tight deadlines! And then as a parent, yes, some kids will not get support at home to continue their learning at home. But most parents are giving it a darn good go because MOST parents are pretty dang good!]
    Are you in Vic?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Cheese View Post

We are very fortunate in the ACT, schools provided devices to all 4-6 students by the end of the first 'pupil free' week. Most schools had enough to provide devices to grade 3 as well.

Only one of my students out of a class of 19 doesn't have a device/internet access at home and the education directorate is aiming to ensure all students have a device in time for Term 2.

Our school has been informed at that teachers are unable to supply hard copy work at this point as they want teachers focusing on switching our program to online content.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, our school (ACT) provided devices for kids in years 3-6. Then they contacted every family to ask whether children have access to devices and internet. The email we got about term 2 said that any child in the school, from preschool to year 6, who doesn't have a device to use and adequate internet would be provided with both. I thought that was really excellent.

Thanks
    Reviews
    China just recorded 1290 new deaths. I wonder what's going on here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It was a backdated adjustment. They also adjusted case numbers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    It was a backdated adjustment. They also adjusted case numbers.
    Thank you. That did cross my mind but I wanted to confirm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (17-04-2020)