Closed Thread
Page 1 of 98 1231151 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default COVID-19 (Coronavirus) chat #3

This is from Dan Andrew's FB. He must have a great PR team and once again, as someone else said a few posts back, I don't see how anyone in Vic can feel like the message isn't clear (apart from the fact that Scomo and his team keep making statements that almost contradict themselves).
    Attached Images

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (16-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    This is from Dan Andrew's FB. He must have a great PR team and once again, as someone else said a few posts back, I don't see how anyone in Vic can feel like the message isn't clear (apart from the fact that Scomo and his team keep making statements that almost contradict themselves).
    I usually hate politics and bury my head in the sand, BUT, as far as his handling of covid, and directions for Victorians, I must say I'm impressed. He's made hard calls, that contradicted the big boys (scomo), hasn't been afraid to stand up and say "nope. this is how we are doing it". He's come down hard and fast, and in general, been pretty clear for your average person in normal circumstances.

Yes there's been a few grey areas (partners visiting eachother for example) but on the whole, I (personally) think he's done well with what we've got infront of us, and I'm thankful, even relieved, to live in Victoria at the moment. I'd be much less at ease in a state where I felt that they were just extensions of scomo arms, sending regular mixed messages.
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 16-04-2020 at 23:54.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

Green Cheese (17-04-2020),ICanDream (17-04-2020),Lincolns mummy (17-04-2020),littleone11 (17-04-2020),Shoopuf (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopuf View Post
    Also, as a landlord, one of the hardest things is trying to convince our property manager at the end of every lease term that we are happy with the tenant and don’t WANT a rent increase. So I guess I wouldn’t be quick to assume that all landlords jump on rent increases - perhaps the rent increase is being instigated by the agent.

I’ve seen a load of people online recently saying that landlords are awful people and shouldn’t have investment properties because it’s “greedy” ... I guess I just don’t understand it. We are renting our current place while leasing out the home we purchased, and maybe I’m strange, but I see rent as a financial obligation I signed up for, and therefore one I should be aiming to meet as a matter of priority. Much like a mortgage.
    Yes! We have that conversation with our property manager so often. Please just resign them for as long as possible, the rent amount is fine.

Not all landlords are money hungry or cruising around on luxury super yachts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Shoopuf (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Covid-19 (Coronavirus Chat)

Last edited by Mum-I-Am; 17-04-2020 at 06:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Covid-19 (Coronavirus Chat)

Let’s be frank here and acknowledge that if you own multiple properties, you’re probably in a far better financial position than those who can’t afford to buy one home and need to rent to begin with.

The cost of rent in Sydney is ridiculous unless you want to live in suburbs that featured on struggle street. Believe me I used to work there and it’s not somewhere most reasonable people would choose to live just for cheap rent.

Even when we were renting whilst our house was being built (not in Sydney but only 20 mins from the edge of outer western Sydney) we were paying $400 week for a tiny 3 bedroom shoe box on the main highway that also backed onto the train line. Lots of loud freight trains, passenger trains and the Indian pacific along with noisy trucks going up and down the highway.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 17-04-2020 at 07:38.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (17-04-2020),atomicmama (17-04-2020),littleone11 (17-04-2020),MissTwiggley (17-04-2020),Mum-I-Am (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read an article in the Herald Sun (ok not the most reliable sources) that was saying in the US they believe up to 80% of kids have the virus they just have it so mild that it’s not obvious. So effectively they become super spreaders. How on earth does Morrison or Gladys in NSW really believe that kids/schools can enforce social distance both of the kids and parents? My kids school would not be able to do that. I get online learning isn’t what we want for our kids but to me it just makes sense for now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Let’s be frank here and acknowledge that if you own multiple properties, you’re probably in a far better financial position than those who can’t afford to buy one home and need to rent to begin with.

The cost of rent in Sydney is ridiculous unless you want to live in suburbs that featured on struggle street. Believe me I used to work there and it’s not somewhere most reasonable people would choose to live just for cheap rent.

Even when we were renting whilst our house was being built (not in Sydney but only 20 mins from the edge of outer western Sydney) we were paying $400 week for a tiny 3 bedroom shoe box on the main highway that also backed onto the train line. Lots of loud freight trains, passenger trains and the Indian pacific along with noisy trucks going up and down the highway.
    We built a property to rent over the past year and yes, that is evidence in itself that we are better off than many. As is having our own mortgaged home. We have based all our calculations on "what if we dropped to one income and had no tenant". The big assumption here was it would be 1 full time income, as DH and I have about the same salary. However, I'm currently only 2 days a week and we never factored in living on that one salary alone. Even when looking at that in our "worset case scenario", it was assumed I could pick up CRT on my days off until I could switch to full time, neither of which are currently an option.

Thankfully DH is still working and we're not in "worst case" yet. Also thankfully we have a lovely tenant with a secure job.

But I just wanted to point out that, for all our sensible calculations and care not to overextend, we did not foresee a pandemic lockdown in the mix. Just as many tenants felt that they had secure jobs and would not struggle to pay the rent ever.

If it's tenants or landlords struggling, I don't think is about being financially reckless, poorly prepared or not factoring in typical bumps in the road.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (17-04-2020),Chippa (17-04-2020),JR03 (17-04-2020),SuperGranny (17-04-2020),wobbleyhorse (17-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    We built a property to rent over the past year and yes, that is evidence in itself that we are better off than many. As is having our own mortgaged home. We have based all our calculations on "what if we dropped to one income and had no tenant". The big assumption here was it would be 1 full time income, as DH and I have about the same salary. However, I'm currently only 2 days a week and we never factored in living on that one salary alone. Even when looking at that in our "worset case scenario", it was assumed I could pick up CRT on my days off until I could switch to full time, neither of which are currently an option.

Thankfully DH is still working and we're not in "worst case" yet. Also thankfully we have a lovely tenant with a secure job.

But I just wanted to point out that, for all our sensible calculations and care not to overextend, we did not foresee a pandemic lockdown in the mix. Just as many tenants felt that they had secure jobs and would not struggle to pay the rent ever.

If it's tenants or landlords struggling, I don't think is about being financially reckless, poorly prepared or not factoring in typical bumps in the road.
    I think it goes to show how many people actually live week to week. Not good.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    I read an article in the Herald Sun (ok not the most reliable sources) that was saying in the US they believe up to 80% of kids have the virus they just have it so mild that it’s not obvious. So effectively they become super spreaders. How on earth does Morrison or Gladys in NSW really believe that kids/schools can enforce social distance both of the kids and parents? My kids school would not be able to do that. I get online learning isn’t what we want for our kids but to me it just makes sense for now.
    There are 29 new cases in NSW today. One is a newborn baby. There are at least 217 active cases in NSW (these are only the ones being treated in hospital but probably more at home) yet they want to get more students back in schools in 3 weeks

How does a high school teacher who can see up to 150 students a day clean desks etc. between classes? I can’t even get my cleaner to clean my desks at the end if the day sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ICanDream View Post
    Also, after what the PM said the other day telling teachers to get back to school because kids were just staring at a screen (I was highly offended by this) he said after the cabinet meeting yesterday to listen to your state government and medical officers