+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Baby carrier

My nephew has asked for a baby carrier for a present so we are looking at buying him one but seeing as it has been a while since any of us had a baby we have no idea which one to get. From what he has said he would love one that he can wear with the baby facing his when he is little but also one that when the baby is older he can be turned around watching everything. Is there any carriers out there like that that anyone can recommend?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have an ergo Omni 360 and we love it. Can wear baby front in, front out, on your back or on your side/hip (still haven’t worked that one out yet). Pre pregnancy I could still wear our DD at 2+ years. We go to the footy and I used to carry her in that to and from the game as it was easier, quicker and safer than her walking. I could then loosen the straps so she could sit comfortably in my lap for the first half of the game before I’d let her out (otherwise she’d just get in everyone’s way).

There are so many brands out there and I believe a lot of it comes down to personal fit/comfort. So I’d be getting them to go into a baby store, trying a few on etc (if you’re even allowed to do this these days!) and then buying it for them.

The main thing to look for is that it is a hip healthy carrier that supports proper hip development. The original baby bjorn is the worst for this as babies generally dangle by the crotch, but their newer varieties have the hip support.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

loodle (12-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I also love the ergo 360. Ours is the mesh one so a but cooler.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

loodle (12-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you! I sent him the info on the ergo and it’s exactly what he wants so I have ordered it for him. He is going to be one happy new Dad

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve got an Ergo 360 and a ring sling and while I like both , the ring sling gets the most use. Super fast and easy to put on once you know how, cool to wear and gets used almost daily for school pick up. Ds2 is 20mths and I’ve used it with him from birth. Wish I’d had it first time round.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

MLadyEm (12-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletoes Sparklebutt View Post
    I’ve got an Ergo 360 and a ring sling and while I like both , the ring sling gets the most use. Super fast and easy to put on once you know how, cool to wear and gets used almost daily for school pick up. Ds2 is 20mths and I’ve used it with him from birth. Wish I’d had it first time round.
    I was supposed to be getting a ring sling from a work colleague.. but then Coronavirus hit and now I’m unlikely to meet up with her due to travel distance etc. Shame, I was keen to try it as I never got my head around wrapping with DD and I wanted something less fiddly with number 2 as I don’t think I’ll have the luxury of spending the day on the couch snuggling a sleeping baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I was supposed to be getting a ring sling from a work colleague.. but then Coronavirus hit and now I’m unlikely to meet up with her due to travel distance etc. Shame, I was keen to try it as I never got my head around wrapping with DD and I wanted something less fiddly with number 2 as I don’t think I’ll have the luxury of spending the day on the couch snuggling a sleeping baby.

I wasn’t coordinated enough for the whole wrapping thing and the prices of some of those are eye watering. Mine was a hand me down, I think they’re better than new as the fabric is super soft and worn in. They pop up a lot on gumtree etc as I think people find them a bit fiddly to start with. I spent a bit of time on YouTube and practiced at home and it didn’t take long to figure what worked for us. Being able to put it on with one hand is a huge plus for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum-I-Am View Post
    I also love the ergo 360. Ours is the mesh one so a but cooler.
    If I may ask ... any recommendations or advice when considering between an ergo 4 positons omni 360 and omni 360 air mesh cool?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elda15 View Post
    If I may ask ... any recommendations or advice when considering between an ergo 4 positons omni 360 and omni 360 air mesh cool?
    It’s more about the type of fabric used. The functionality of the carrier is the same. If you live in a warmer climate the mesh is probably a better option. We have the normal Omni 360 (was a new model when we bought it so mesh wasn’t available then), and used it a lot. I don’t remember it ever being exceptionally hot to wear (QLD climate), but I also don’t know if I ever used it in the height of summer. We’ve used it loads in winter without issue though. If I could justify cost I’d get the mesh one for number 2, more so because I have a feeling I’ll be using it a lot more with a toddler to deal with as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    It’s more about the type of fabric used. The functionality of the carrier is the same. If you live in a warmer climate the mesh is probably a better option. We have the normal Omni 360 (was a new model when we bought it so mesh wasn’t available then), and used it a lot. I don’t remember it ever being exceptionally hot to wear (QLD climate), but I also don’t know if I ever used it in the height of summer. We’ve used it loads in winter without issue though. If I could justify cost I’d get the mesh one for number 2, more so because I have a feeling I’ll be using it a lot more with a toddler to deal with as well.
    Thank you so much for your feedback. My LO is nearly 3w so I imagine if the lockdown rules were relaxed, we would really start using it in winter / spring.

Dh was concerned he could sweat so that‘s why I thought the mesh could be a better option even in Sydney where the temperatures aren’t that warm.. but bc it might be a gift from his work colleagues I don’t want to opt for the most expensive option if not really necessary...