+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter was breach pretty much the while pregnancy so we ended up having a planned c section rather than try and push her out bum first. She was my first so I can't compare it to a natural birth or an emergency c section. But I had an AMAZING birth. I have nothing but happy memories and pictures of the whole experience.

To answer your questions:
    1) the spinal didn't hurt. It was a strange sensation, but absolutely no pain at all. I just remember that they said it would feel like warm water running down my back, and it absolutely did. The needle going in felt uncomfortable, but not painful

2) I felt absolutely nothing during the c-section, and my recovery was amazing. I had my c section at 10am and was up having a shower the same day, at about 7pm. The next day I was moving comfortably but carefully. I took pain meds regularly as prescribed my OB - she was very adamant to keep the pain meds up. There was only a brief period when it comes out of theatre and they were a bit delayed in giving me some Endone that I felt some pain, but after that I just took Endone and panadol and didn't feel any pain at all. I was down to one Endone tablet 6 days afterwards when I went home and took that for 5 more days before moving to just panadol.

3) yes, they didn't put my catheter in until after I couldn't feel my my legs. I didn't feel anything.

4) I could stand about 9ish hours afterwards, for a very short shower with the assistance of a midwife. By 24 hours I could go from sitting in bed to standing and moving around the hospital room and sitting in the feeding chair. I was tender, but it wasn't at all painful.

I loved my c section because my OB was amazing and put me 100% at ease. The atmosphere was upbeat and special. The moment I laid eyes on my daughter everything else just faded away. Bonus is that one of the nurses took heaps of photos of the whole thing.

I'm not sure if I'd try for a VBAC or have another c section if we have #2. It's hard to imagine any other experience being as good as my c section was! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Emergency caesarean vs planned caesarean

Spinal didn’t hurt

The first 36 hours was pure hell with pain , but I’d had a 100% natural for first so obviously the cs was going to be way worse with pain

I had a choice of having catheter put in before or after spinal , I chose before

I had a midnight cs as I went into labour before the elective day as I wrote above. So got up for shower at 11am

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loh4 View Post

1. Will the spinal hurt
    2. Is the csection itself going to be more uncomfortable and painful than I remembered?
    3. Do they put the catheter in when I’m numb?
    4. How long will it be before I can stand up?
    1: No. It's an unusual sensation, maybe some odd pressure and tingling if it's not in right, but not painful. My first took 3 attempts, 2nd took 1, 3rd took I don't know how many attempts, but again, no pain as such.

2: everyone's experience is different, but each time for me I was refusing pain medication by day 3-4. I came home on day 3, after bub 3 with absolutely no pain relief 🤷‍♀️ I wasn't making myself suffer, I just felt fine. I moved carefully and slowly, and didn't over do it.

3: each time it was while numb

4: My first (emergency).... birth 9.55am, I wasn't allowed up until after lunch the next day. But I had lost a lot of blood, borderline for a transfusion so they left me in bed.
    My second: birth 1.58pm. By 7pm I was standing beside the bed. They offered a shower and as much as I love my showers, I knew i couldn't do it. I had one first thing the next morning, and still got light headed.
    My 3rd: birth 9.58am, I wasn't up until the next morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies - reading all of these really has made me feel better!

I was so sure about this decision but now that I’ve decided that’s what we will do I’m now thinking worst case even though I’ve already had one and it was fine.

It’s the adrenaline aspect that worries me too as you are much more aware and I’m now thinking about things like...

1. Will the spinal hurt
    2. Is the csection itself going to be more uncomfortable and painful than I remembered?
    1. Will the spinal hurt

A light sting for both. The main thing is to relax while they are giving you the local for the spinal and that is the sting the actual spinal you won’t feel

I know with ds2 I had no idea what to expect esp the pulling and tugging that was horrible for me as he hadn’t dropped so it was a bit harder for my on to get him out. With dd 2 years later I didn’t have the pulling and tugging but my recovery was a lot harder on me chasing a 2 year old around and having my tubes tied I was a lot more tender aswell. Both babies born at 626pm and 642pm st night and I was allowed out of bed at 3pm the next day for that long awaited hot shower.

Ds2 I fainted in the shower 2 days post birth my blood pressure dropped and I had to be wrapped in the foil blanket due to the amount of blood I had lost (I should of had a transfusion but didn’t get it, never got the answer on that) dd no fainting at all but I had a. Shower chair immediately Putin my bathroom.

Both times it was put in after my spinal had taken affect
    Next day for both after Catheter was taken out at 3pm. It was a little bit uncomfortable like balloon literally popping. Then into the hot shower !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m to having to make that decision... after an emergency c last birth I’m unsure if I try for a Vbac or book in another c section?

Anyone have or hear of the scar tearing ?

Little one will be two in the August I’m due early October

Main concern is having to recover with a toddler to deal with pick up etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Emergency caesarean vs planned caesarean

@littleone11

I have ultimately decided to go planned c section

Will be in 5.5 weeks and will have a 2y3m DS at the time so can update how my recovery goes.

I’m sure some ladies will have some advice for you xx

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

littleone11 (14-06-2020),SJ565 (15-06-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @littleone11

I have ultimately decided to go planned c section

Will be in 5.5 weeks and will have a 2y3m DS at the time so can update how my recovery goes.

I’m sure some ladies will have some advice for you xx
    Good luck with everything I’ll see if you get time to update me

I’m almost feeling like planned is a good choice as we don’t have much family help etc.

Who knows 🤷‍♀️

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve had two positive planned c-sections. I’m 15 weeks with number 3 and will be doing it again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies - reading all of these really has made me feel better!

I was so sure about this decision but now that I’ve decided that’s what we will do I’m now thinking worst case even though I’ve already had one and it was fine.

It’s the adrenaline aspect that worries me too as you are much more aware and I’m now thinking about things like...

1. Will the spinal hurt - a tiny bit but not much
    2. Is the csection itself going to be more uncomfortable and painful than I remembered? Probably not as you haven’t laboured???
    3. Do they put the catheter in when I’m numb? - yes - I never felt it and I have an extreme aversion to vaginal examinations
    - I think I stood up on the night of (had both my girls in the morning)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Two elective CSs here. Out of bed next day with both of them. Recovery was good, better with no 2 than 1 as I think I took it easier and didn't push myself.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SJ565 For This Useful Post:

littleone11 (17-06-2020)