+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Emergency caesarean vs planned caesarean

I was trying to find out one piece of information relating to a caesarean so I googled and fell down a rabbit hole I wish I didn’t, ended up on a site that had 15 women’s experience with having a caesarean, let’s just say I wish I didn’t read it. I feel petrified now!

I had an emergency caesarean with DS it was pretty smooth and the amount of relief I felt after pushing for 3 hours and then been numb I don’t really remember being in pain or uncomfortable as such it was pretty calm everyone chatting after while they stitched me up.

I have made the decision to go ahead with a planned caesarean this time around, and now I’m slightly worried after reading all those experiences that it’s going to feel a lot worse than I’m remembering because I won’t be getting wheeled in, in the same state I was in before if that makes as I will be walking in with no pain whatsoever.

I need some positive experiences

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My c-sec was the best thing about my whole pregnancy. I had a high risk pregnancy, I was in and out of hospital. The c-sec was the first time I felt sure about anything.

The op itself was great. I was separated from DD briefly while I was stitched, but DH stayed with DD.

My op was at 10.30am and I was able to get out of bed the next day. The pain was manageable and I was driving and lifting things in around 10 days.

Yes it has some risks, but so does a natural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-DJ Nette View Post
    My c-sec was the best thing about my whole pregnancy. I had a high risk pregnancy, I was in and out of hospital. The c-sec was the first time I felt sure about anything.

The op itself was great. I was separated from DD briefly while I was stitched, but DH stayed with DD.

My op was at 10.30am and I was able to get out of bed the next day. The pain was manageable and I was driving and lifting things in around 10 days.

Yes it has some risks, but so does a natural.
    I had 2 EMCS, however the 2nd one we pulled the pin much earlier and I was much more clear thinking, calm, etc. It didn't seem as "emergency" IYKWIM. Plus, I knew what to expect and had mentally planned for it to be a possibility, so while I'd been in labour for about 11 hours (no pushing etc), it felt more like a planned CS. I hope that makes sense.

Anyhow, the surgery was not worse, though I was more aware/alert to what was going on. They did have trouble getting my uterus to contract, but that's probably age related and nothing to do with CS/EMCS, so had to "wash the dishes" in my belly a bit longer. I was on better pain relief which, combined with knowing what to expect/how to move, meant I could get up and shower sooner etc. On the whole I'd say it averaged out to about the same as my first CS just without the shock and mental trauma.

I did have a bit of a cry about never having a VB when I heard a woman birth unexpectedly in the ward room next to me. But otherwise it was mentally so much better an experience, which helped me cope with the inevitable pain and difficulty more easily. Best of luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds2 was an emergency albeit planned that way because it PP. in and out in a couple of minutes. Recovery is great as I only had him at home while ds1 was at school

Dd was an elective cs because of ds2. It was a standard cs just under 6 mins not as much tugging and pulling but recovery was a lot harder as I had ds2 at home with me so I didn’t get much of rest at all.

I had m my tubes done while I was open aswell maybe That was part of it aswell as I was a lot more tender this time Round to heal

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve had 2 emergency cs and 1 planned. My recovery was the worst was the second, where I had a very long labour and then the CS as I was exhausted and then also recovering from the CS. My planned one was very calm, recovery is not great with 2 toddlers at home, but you get through it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've had 1 emergency and 2 planned.

For me, my emergency wasn't that bad. I recovered quickly, baby was in eye sight at all times, we tried skin to skin while still on the table it was relaxed with music, they explained everything as they went.

My second was fine too. Btt I struggled emotionally. I had time to sit and think about what could go wrong, I called my mum who was minding ds1 in tears saying if I didn't make it to make sure he knew how much I loved him (in hindsight it was probably a bit dramatic )

I walked to theatre, and got the spinal, everything went well, it was relaxed but at a different hospital, and honestly I didn't feel as easy. I can't say why though. Maybe they didn't really talk me through it as much.... but I recovered just as well, minimal pain, baby was healthy but their process is to take baby, dad and the midwife to recovery to wait for mum to be stitched up.

3rd I had GD so spent the night in hospital prior. That was hard because I was alone. I couldn't sleep but it was a minor thing really. They struggled with the spinal, eventually got it in, took forever to work, it was a long csection, baby needed cpap in theatre, it was much the same as the second, just longer. Dad took bub to recovery, when I got there they said he wasn't breathing as well add they wouldn't liked so called the pediatrician but he was fine by the time the pediatrician came, and so stayed with me. Narrowly avoiding SCN. But recovery again was fine, maybe a bit slower being 8yrs and 4yrs older than the other 2, plus having an 8 and 4yo to care for too... I do remember feeling like it took a huge toll on me at the time and sweating I'd never go through it ever again.

Almost 11 months on and I still say no, but it's not a firm no

Thanks
    Reviews

I understand , as the adrenaline won’t be there

I had a natural for first and planned cs for 2nd
    My trick was going into labour before the day.
    So I had that rushed in labour feeling leading up to it , which I preferred
    They stopped the labour with iv meds and still had a cs
    Last edited by Kazza78; 10-04-2020 at 15:13.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a natural birth with number 1 and have had two elective c sections since. They were most definitely my best births and recovery wasn’t too bad (I’m 2.5 weeks pp with number 3). Don’t be worried about it at all. As far as I know, planned c sections are a lot calmer and I’ve read because your body hasn’t been labouring recovery is easier.
    All the best with your birth!

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I had a planned CS - and it was fine.

The anxiety of when and how things are going to happen was taken awa y, and the certainty of being able to plan things was actually good.

totally outweighed the nervousness of going into it

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks ladies - reading all of these really has made me feel better!

I was so sure about this decision but now that I’ve decided that’s what we will do I’m now thinking worst case even though I’ve already had one and it was fine.

It’s the adrenaline aspect that worries me too as you are much more aware and I’m now thinking about things like...

1. Will the spinal hurt
    2. Is the csection itself going to be more uncomfortable and painful than I remembered?
    3. Do they put the catheter in when I’m numb?
    4. How long will it be before I can stand up?