+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Lockdown/Isolation - Dinner Magician

What’s everyone eating at home while we’re all staying in?

Are there new recipes you’re trying that you can share?

What substitutes have you found when you’ve discovered you’ve run out of something and can’t just duck out to the shops for every little thing?

Any standard recipes you’ve got on high rotation?

The weather has taken a sudden turn here (Vic) and I find myself craving the comfort options. Who can share their favourites?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’ve defrosted a corned beef ready to go in the slow cooker tomorrow morning.

I don’t have malt vinegar or peppercorns but I’m not sure it matters.

Having it with mashed potato, honey carrots, peas.

It’s good because it doesn’t matter what veg you have (fresh or frozen) and leftovers will last in my house for a few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cooked a big Lasagne last weekend, kiddo was turning up his nose at it by Wednesday.

I made some soup today with some random veg I had in the fridge and garden, just a little bit of everything, he turned up his nose at that too, then decided to have some because I like it he decided he did too!

Was talking to my brother today, he says mum is making them chicken schnitzel most nights and apricot chicken once too, he's wondering if he's going to grow feathers.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason98 For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS (05-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fried rice only thing every single person here eats. Usually with a marinated chicken... the Aldi hickory bbq marinated, boneless is yum.

Tomorrow is roast pork with baked potato, baked pumpkin, baked carrots, cauliflower baked in cheese sauce with steamed peas and the kiddos will also have corn cobs, with gravy.

We've had tacoes, toasties... sooo much tin spaghetti on toast (I've been managing to find the 4 packs) 🤦‍♀️

Other things in the works: steak sangas, porcupines, Mongolian beef stir fry and rice, satay chicken stir fry and hokkien noodles, apricot chicken

I hate plain veg.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I’ve been cooking up a storm! I haven’t been at home this long ever so am loving being able to cook more and experiment!

My favourite so far is I’ve turned my lemon muffin recipe into a lemon and poppy seed Bundt cake with lemon syrup and lemon icing drizzle (I’ve taken a ton of food photos the last week for my SIL,s to copy)

Adjustments.jpg

I’ve also done:

Mexican meatballs
    Shakshuska
    Prawn san chow bow
    Ricotta pancakes
    Potato frittata
    Slow cooker pasta sauce
    Mango chili salsa on bbq tuna steaks
    Paris mash
    No bake cheesecake
    Chicken nachos
    MFC (mums fried chicken!! My take on KFC🤣)
    Salmon Wellington
    Mexican street corn salad
    Roast potatoes with chipotle cream
    Roasted cauliflower steaks with Parmesan

This weeks menu:
    Lasagna (with 4 hour beef Ragu)
    Eggplant parmigiana
    Quinoa salad
    Fajita board
    Honey chicken
    Lamb kofta (I’ll have falafel)
    Hamburgers and fish burgers

Plus I’m doing brunch for Easter Sunday (was supposed to have 14 people but now just us 3 and my dad and 15 year old niece who will both be staying with us this week but I’ll still do a big spread!)

Shakshuka - one with chorizo one without
    Berry compote, Yogurt and granola pots
    Lemon ricotta pancakes with maple syrup, fresh berries and bacon (DH requested!)
    Smashed avo with feta and fresh sourdough
    Iced chocolates

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum (11-04-2020),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (06-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Given my hours have increased at work and I’m getting on in pregnancy, my incentive to cook is not high haha. I’ve usually just been freezer diving and cooking what I find. What we’ve eaten recently...

Lamb shanks (Coles slow cooked ones )
    Chicken Schnitzel
    Spag bolognaise
    Plain pasta (DDs request... handy on daycare nights when there’s a whole lot of CBF going on)
    Chicken Kiev (homemade)
    Burritos
    Lamb salad
    Red Rooster chicken and chips which I then use the leftover chicken for dinner the next night. Last time it was risotto. Usually it’s chicken fried rice.

I almost feel like I need to go and buy some corned silverside now though. Could get DH to put the slow cooker on Thursday and we could have a delicious dinner with no effort bar the white sauce 🤤

What I’ve been meaning to make (but again, CBF kicks in) for easy lunch options during our self isolation days..
    - beef sausage rolls (packed with veg)
    - meat pies with mushroom +/- bacon depending on what DH wants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

To be honest, my meals have been very basic during this time even though I’ve been home more to cook. I went back to work full-time 3 weeks ago and my eldest daughter did up a meal plan of all her favourites from my skinnymixers books plus a few others but when everyone went crazy for meat and toilet paper, it was hard to buy the meat I wanted at my butcher I so I couldn’t stick to the meal plan. When I was in Costco I ended up buying 3kg beef mince, 3kg pork mince, 2.5kg chicken breast.

So far we’ve had things like:
    Slow cooked pork ribs with homemade sliced potatoes and steamed veg.
    Slow cooked lamb leg on the bone with carrots, parsnip and turnip plus
    peas and potato bake on the side.
    Tacos with half beef and half pork mice.
    Pasta with melted philly, bacon, onion, and a few fresh veg thrown in.
    Irish pork sausages with mash and peas and sautéed onions.
    Spaghetti bolognese with beef and pork mince.
    Lemon and ginger chicken baked with Arborio rice.
    Chicken and bacon spaghetti with garlic bread.
    Cottage pie.
    Swedish Meatballs with all the trimmings. Like the ones you get in ikea with the sauce but way better. It’s a thermomix recipe.

Here’s my ribs from the other night. I don’t normally take pics of my food but as I was transferring them from the slow cooker to the oven (after putting the sauce on) I was on a group phone call to 4 of my friends and they were asking what I was cooking so I took a pic to post to our group chat.

IMG_2993.jpg
    Last edited by BigRedV; 06-04-2020 at 05:08.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Mod-LIKE A BOSS (06-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thread, I’m really struggling to plan and not being able to go out for supplies. I’m used to shopping a few times a week so this is so weird to me.

I made fried rice last week and ended up using those steam fresh veg (broccoli, corn and carrot) because that’s what we had and it actually was really yummy.

Otherwise on a positive note I’m being much more mindful of waste. I usually don’t care but I find myself much more concerned about what we have and using it all.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (09-04-2020),Mod-LIKE A BOSS (06-04-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a hello fresh delivery last week so that’s always good for a change of menu and everything included. Last night we had jerk chicken and roast veg, I was the only one who ate all the veggies though!

It’s payday so I need to think about my menu plan/shopping list as we are sticking with me at home so I need to give hubby a list. I have been getting him to grab bread/milk as needed and most of what we have needed has been available so far. I will do fruit and veg order online from the local fruit shop I think.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also decided to do hello fresh this week for some variety and I was sick of going and never been able to get what I needed resulting in extra trips!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post: