+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Baby size at 28 weeks

Had a growth scan yesterday. At 28 weeks bub is in the 92nd percentile for head, 74th for abdomen (I do have GDM), but his femur is 31st percentile and his weight is 49th percentile.

I know a lot of it is just estimates, but I guess I'm just a little freaked that there is such a huge difference between essentially his top half and bottom half and his weight.

I see my doctor on Monday and will have a chat to her about it, but it just seems not right to me.

Has anyone had similar measurements and disparity? Or am I panicking myself for stupid reasons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't panic yet. They are estimates only and I'm sure you'll have more scans to monitor and see if this is a consistent trend.

It's a long time ago now so I don't know the exact measurements but DD1 was measuring small overall, average head size and femur much shorter relative to everything else. I wasn't worried as I am only 155cm and DH is average height and both of us have shorter legs relative to torso. And my firstborn DS was only 2.82kg at 11days overdue so a small baby was not unexpected. After DD1 was born (2.7kg) the paed came to check her out due to notes on her file about potential dwarfism. He took one look and said "Yeah, she's fine" and apologised for any unnecessary stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had more than the usual number of scans with DD2 due to being high risk. Some of the measurements were all over the place, including head in the 90th percentile in one. It made me worry of course, cue mad googling. The hospital obgyn said he wasn't worried in the slightest, that the measurements were notoriously dependent on the technician. She was born with a lovely, average sized head, and all in proportion.
    I know it's easier said than done, but I guess try to remember that you would be told if there was something to worry about. Scans are both reassuring and stress-inducing because everything is constantly under a microscope.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Echoing @Kalina that it can be due to the technician. I was having scans weekly from 19 weeks with my OB, and also getting scans from a sonographer every few weeks. My OB scans were consistent, but some sonographer scans were wildly different.

At your next appointment, ask your care provider about it and they may recommend another scan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! The measurements have been pretty consistent across all scans, so he hasn't had any wild variations. Which I guess shows he is growing proportional if he can grow but stay on the same curve.

The big head I'm not surprised with, as husband and step-son both have large heads and talking to step-sons mum he had an off the charts head at every appointment.

We have another scan this Thursday (unplanned, hospital booked it in when they moved my OB appointment to a telehealth), and also booked in at 32 and 36 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I remember feeling like this with my first, thinking she would look strange. She was fine at birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids measurements were all over the place in ultrasounds. When they were born they were average length but over 4kg with big heads.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. When he is born, he will look perfect to you. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    So talked to my GP today. She looked through all my scans and she isn’t concerned. He is growing nicely along the curve, but she could see why I felt worried.

Man I thought my anxiety would be better once I got pregnant

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pcos30 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial (06-04-2020)