+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    207
    Reviews
    0

    Default should I further investigate moderate risk on NT scan

    I've just had my Nt and blood test results and was given a moderate risk 1: 741 of Tri 21.

    baby looked good, nasal bone present and Nt measurement 1.60mm so I think maybe it was my age giving the results in 34?

    My last pregnancy 5 years ago was 1 : 14000 so a big difference and her nt measurement was 2.3mm.

    doesn't make a difference if baby has DS I would just like to be prepared.

    they've recommended an amniotic fluid test

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,784
    Thanks
    951
    Thanked
    4,317
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    I've just had my Nt and blood test results and was given a moderate risk 1: 741 of Tri 21.

    baby looked good, nasal bone present and Nt measurement 1.60mm so I think maybe it was my age giving the results in 34?

    My last pregnancy 5 years ago was 1 : 14000 so a big difference and her nt measurement was 2.3mm.

    doesn't make a difference if baby has DS I would just like to be prepared.

    they've recommended an amniotic fluid test
    Can you do the nipt /harmony instead?

    For me, I had my 2nd a month before my 30th. Not sure of risks but was given the all clear.

    I then had my 3rd 2 weeks after my 34th birthday. I went in for the scan (nuchal measurement was well under the 3mm, under 2 from memory). I had bloods done.

    Now, my gp didn't request NT bloods specifically 🤦‍♀️ so pathology emailed her and said if I went back by xx gestation I could have more bloods drawn. However!! They didn't rush the appointment and by the time I saw the gp, I was 3 DAYS beyond the gestation I needed to be. 🤬

    I was livid. I could've got the nipt done (and found out gender ) But like you it made no difference to the outcome so we just decided to continue not knowing the risk. It took me a week or 2 to be ok with it though. But we could've got the nipt done at any point with no risk to baby if we changed our minds.

    He's now a happy, cheeky perfectly healthy, 10 month old

    Even at 1:741.... that's about 0.13%, so there's a 98.7% chance everything is ok with bubba.outs up to you though. Good luck! And congratulations.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    189
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    207
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowangel0205 View Post
    Can you do the nipt /harmony instead?

    For me, I had my 2nd a month before my 30th. Not sure of risks but was given the all clear.

    I then had my 3rd 2 weeks after my 34th birthday. I went in for the scan (nuchal measurement was well under the 3mm, under 2 from memory). I had bloods done.

    Now, my gp didn't request NT bloods specifically 🤦‍♀️ so pathology emailed her and said if I went back by xx gestation I could have more bloods drawn. However!! They didn't rush the appointment and by the time I saw the gp, I was 3 DAYS beyond the gestation I needed to be. 🤬

    I was livid. I could've got the nipt done (and found out gender ) But like you it made no difference to the outcome so we just decided to continue not knowing the risk. It took me a week or 2 to be ok with it though. But we could've got the nipt done at any point with no risk to baby if we changed our minds.

    He's now a happy, cheeky perfectly healthy, 10 month old

    Even at 1:741.... that's about 0.13%, so there's a 98.7% chance everything is ok with bubba.outs up to you though. Good luck! And congratulations.
    he did say I could have the nipt test but that if I still got a moderate risk then he would need to do an amnieo anyway so just more cost involved and longer to wait.

    Thanks for your reply I felt fine with my risk until I looked at my daughters report.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    7,784
    Thanks
    951
    Thanked
    4,317
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    he did say I could have the nipt test but that if I still got a moderate risk then he would need to do an amnieo anyway so just more cost involved and longer to wait.

    Thanks for your reply I felt fine with my risk until I looked at my daughters report.
    That's fair enough. I can't say what I'd do in your situation... 🤷‍♀️ good luck though! I how all goes well

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    2,396
    Thanks
    1,286
    Thanked
    3,311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDE View Post
    he did say I could have the nipt test but that if I still got a moderate risk then he would need to do an amnieo anyway so just more cost involved and longer to wait.

    Thanks for your reply I felt fine with my risk until I looked at my daughters report.

    At your age if the NIPT came back low risk the chances of it being wrong would be miniscule. Personally I would only do an amnio if the NIPT came back high risk, and only if you would want to know. What would you do with the information, do you need it? Your risk of miscarriage caused by the amnio is higher right now than the risk that something is wrong.

    The numbers themselves don't mean so much, stats about risk, 1 in whatever, are kind of useless on an individual level. Someone is always the one. I was given a risk of 1:480 in my second pregnancy, I was that 1. A friend of mine was given 1:34, her baby was fine. I had no definite markers on ultrasound, which is not uncommon, particularly before 20 weeks.

    To put it bluntly, if you would continue with the pregnancy irrespective of the answer then having an amnio seems like an unnecessary risk. However, sometimes Drs prefer women to know because actually being in that situation, where you're told that there is a problem, puts things into sharper focus. It's easier to think you know exactly what you would do before you're walking in those shoes.

    I don't really understand why the Dr doesn't just do the NIPT, overwhelmingly chances are it would put your mind at ease without risk.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    14,149
    Thanks
    9,758
    Thanked
    10,290
    Reviews
    13
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would go NIPT first as amnio come a with risks. For me I wouldn't be terminating regardless of outcomes so extra testing for me would be helping the doctors work out a plan if needed for any medical work baby may need when born.


 

Similar Threads

  1. High Risk Nuchal Transluceny Scan result
    By DrBob in forum Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
    Replies: 141
    Last Post: 16-06-2010, 17:52
  2. Further Investigations...Laparoscopy?
    By YinYang in forum IVF
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-03-2009, 21:41
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-04-2008, 08:14
  4. Should we risk it?
    By Moorish in forum Conception issues & ttc
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 27-07-2006, 10:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

FEATURED SUPPORTER
Innovations Physio & PilatesWomen’s Health Physios who are able to assess and treat a wide range of Pregnancy and Post Natal Issues. We offer ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
TTC Majestic May 2020Conception & Fertility General Chat
Positive Ovulation Test 6+ days in a row???Conception & Fertility General Chat
Some advice for job opportunity in IVF clinicIVF Newbies - What you want to know
Letting go of controlGeneral Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
drug dosagepregnancy and babies through IVF