+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Opinion needed. WWYD?

There is a very old lady who is 90 years old, who lives down my street. Amazingly still living in her own unit. She has a care worker who comes to vac her house, drop off her groceries and clean her bathroom once a week.

I've known her for 10 or so years but only to wave to, until mid last year (Pre-corona) when she said she'd love me to visit. I didnt for a while because I knew that if I started that it isnt really something I could just stop. I knew she'd come to rely on me visiting. I knew all her family lived interstate and only came and got her reluctantly at Christmas.

Eventually I decided I would so since about late December, I have been visiting her once or twice a week for a cup of tea and a chat. Sometimes I take my littlest baby who she adores.

Last time I was there, she said to me that she appreciates my visits so much, she loves me and (and this is heartbreaking) that I am the ONLY person who hugs her.

Now that social distancing has ramped up, I dont know what to do. I live in a rural town. There are NO confirmed cases of Coronavirus. I havent been anywhere, I havent been in any contact with anyone who is overseas or has been anywhere.

She is a bit deaf and cant hear on the phone so I cant just phone her.

I tried to talk to her about Coronavirus and her reply was "ah well, got to die of something!"

Do I still visit her?

And if not, how do I explain why I'm not? Bearing in mind she is 90 years old. I am her only visitor and the only one who hugs her.

It's kind of breaking my heart. I havent visited her yet this week. I usually go on a Thursday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would still visit....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pinklise For This Useful Post:

Mummamania (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With the scenario you have explained, lack of cases etc I would still visit for the time being, but maybe just prepare her that if the restrictions become stronger you might not be able to come for a while.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

JR03 (26-03-2020),Mummamania (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would still go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I would still go.
    I would continue to go while there are no cases in your area, especially if you take care to wash hands before etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Mummamania (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would feel the same as you, scared but obligated. Could you visit but explain that you must stay 2 metres away amd you must hold baby, make it sound like its for the baby's sake, as in asking her to do it for the baby. Maybe sit outside? Say a Dr said you cant be too close because of risk to baby. I think white lies work well in situations like this. Good luck and good on you for being a kind lovely person xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you meet her outside and take precautions eg sit 1.5 metres away.

I would not feel safe and secure in the fact that there are no diagnosed cases in your area yet. You need to remember that by the time someone has been diagnosed it is too late. Taking into account the time it takes for symptoms to appear and testing time, it could have already been floating around the community for a good 10 or more days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Can you meet her outside and take precautions eg sit 1.5 metres away.

I would not feel safe and secure in the fact that there are no diagnosed cases in your area yet. You need to remember that by the time someone has been diagnosed it is too late. Taking into account the time it takes for symptoms to appear and testing time, it could have already been floating around the community for a good 10 or more days.
    Exactly. Just because there are no cases in your area it does not mean no one has it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Opinion needed. WWYD?

At 90 the hugs probably mean more to her than getting Coronavirus. I think when people get to that age they just want to enjoy the last few years the best that can. I’m hearing this level of apathy from a few people with very elderly relatives which maybe hard for us to relate to but loneliness is horrible at any age, let alone 90.

Unless you’re worried about the risk to your baby then I’d still visit. If she’s not seeing anyone else tho then the chances of her passing it to you are minimal.
    Whatever you decide, good on you for being so caring xx

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum (26-03-2020),Kalina (25-03-2020),Mod-Uniquey (27-03-2020),Mummamania (26-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was talking to my grandad today about the probability of having to stop visiting him, especially with the kids. He’s 81 and has heart issues, and a few other minor ailments. He said the thought of not being able to see us would kill him faster than any virus. Broke my heart. He lives for us, especially my kids, and I have no doubt if he couldn’t see them, he would probably die of a broken heart. He doesn’t really leave his house, the only people he interacts with is my mum and 2 uncles and myself and my kids. Outside of that, he keeps to himself. He already feels isolated as he can’t go out and do things he wants to do due to mobility issues, so cutting off essentially what is his only pleasure in life... I just can’t do it. He said he’d rather see us and risk it than not see us and pass away knowing he couldn’t give us one last hug.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (26-03-2020),Kalina (25-03-2020)