+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Had a baby as a result of a one night stand

Hi folks,
    Wasn’t sure where to post this, so, pardon me if this gets posted in the wrong section.

As the title says, I was involved in a drunken one night stand. Didn’t get a chance to get acquainted with the guy I slept with. Fell pregnant and had a wonderful baby three weeks ago. No way I would’ve aborted. I don’t want to find who the father is, or want any child support payments. Not that I’d be able to track him down even if I wanted to. We hooked up at a night club.

I have two questions-

1) I am in Western Australia and in the birth registration form, it says that, if I left the father’s name out, I have to write a letter stating the reason. Can I please get some advice on how to word the letter please. I know I will be judged for bringing this situation upon myself, but I don’t mind it, as long as there won’t be issues getting the birth certificate of my kid.

2)Also, will this cause issues when I apply for a passport in the future?

Thanks heaps in advance. Perth

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Had a baby as a result of a one night stand

Last edited by pommiejen; 26-03-2020 at 09:02.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pommiejen For This Useful Post:

FR760 (24-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pommiejen View Post
    Hi, congratulations on the birth of your baby!

I was in a very similar situation a few years ago, I couldn’t get in touch with the father either. My daughter is now 3.
    I’m in Victoria but I think the process with the birth certificate is the same.
    I had to do a stat dec stating the reasons why I couldn’t get in touch with the father. I was just honest and stated the circumstances of her conception and the fact that I couldn’t contact the father. It wasn’t questioned at all, I feel that this isn’t a rare occurrence.
    I also got my daughter a passport without any issues, you just have to supply the birth certificate and as it doesn’t have a father on it then it just needs your signature.
    Thanks for your reply. I’ve read a couple of responses on other forums where women have stated that they just submitted the registration form without a declaration and didn’t have any issues. I’m a bit scared to do that. But, at the same time, I’m a bit scared because of the stigma surrounding the way my son was conceived.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would just be honest but formal. They probably hear it a lot and I dont think they would judge you for it but even if they did, they are just strangers to you and you just need to get the certificate and move on from it. Deep breath, you can do it. I would just say, you met the father briefly and conceived his child and you don’t know any of his details for him to be contacted. Simple and straight to the point without giving them too much information about how it all went down

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MuMtORiLeYandLeO View Post
    I would just be honest but formal. They probably hear it a lot and I dont think they would judge you for it but even if they did, they are just strangers to you and you just need to get the certificate and move on from it. Deep breath, you can do it. I would just say, you met the father briefly and conceived his child and you don’t know any of his details for him to be contacted. Simple and straight to the point without giving them too much information about how it all went down
    That’s really helpful, thanks. I was feeling so lost for words and this seems perfect.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FR760 For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FR760 View Post
    That’s really helpful, thanks. I was feeling so lost for words and this seems perfect.
    Glad I could help

Thanks
    Reviews
    What I find so interesting about this scenario, which Im sure is a lot more common than people think it is, is that with all the DNA testing and websites to join like Ancestry.com and genetic testing, even if there is no name to put on the birth certificate now, one day when your child grows up, they might send away for one of those Ancestry.com kits and find the other half of the family! What a shock that'll be. Hopefully a happy one.
    I wish you all the best.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just to give you some reassurance - I don't have a father listed on my birth certificate and it has never once come up in my life.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GreenMama For This Useful Post:

FR760 (25-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummamania View Post
    What I find so interesting about this scenario, which Im sure is a lot more common than people think it is, is that with all the DNA testing and websites to join like Ancestry.com and genetic testing, even if there is no name to put on the birth certificate now, one day when your child grows up, they might send away for one of those Ancestry.com kits and find the other half of the family! What a shock that'll be. Hopefully a happy one.
    I wish you all the best.
    I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.