+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 54 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    If any of you are getting ready to plant seeds. Check a seasonal planting guide for your region. Here in Melborne we're quite limited with what will grow as a winter crop - mostly hardy leafy greens (spinach, kale, some Asian greens) and root vegetables. It's too late to start any "fruiting" veg from seed or even from a seedling (it's actually a bit crook that seedlings get sold for veg at times when there is no chance they will grow) down here.
    I live in Qld. My parents do a lot of gardening. Mum has said that thanks to global warming our winters our now so rubbish that she has found autumn is actually a good time of year to plant stuff here. My plan is to just bung it in and hope for the best.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

Mum-I-Am (23-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone know what else you can grow without seeds? As in celery, spring onions etc. I'm in Canberra so cold frosty winter. I've got rocket in the garden beds, have pulled out some herbs to transplant into pots to see if they can get through winter if protected from frost. I've also put in sugar snap and snow pea seeds. If the ants don't get them and we survive the zombie apocalypse they should start fruiting after the frosts.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @Elijahs Mum I did listen to the PMs press conference this evening and they said they would be discussing tenants on Tuesday. So maybe there will be more information coming.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Elijahs Mum (22-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I live in Qld. My parents do a lot of gardening. Mum has said that thanks to global warming our winters our now so rubbish that she has found autumn is actually a good time of year to plant stuff here. My plan is to just bung it in and hope for the best.
    Autumn in QLD is great, less chance of mildew than humid summertime too.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

SSecret Squirrel (22-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyc View Post
    Hey, sorry to butt in, every one seems to be following the virus a fair bit. And I am curious to know if anyone understands what the stimulus package involves from the government for those who lost their jobs because of the virus? I am currently jumping through hoops with centrelink and trying to make sense of what I am eligible for?

I am in a defacto relationship and my partner is a 2nd year apprentice who is on 45k a year plus a 4 yr old who is in our care 42% of the time. It is really frustrating atm. If anyone knows more than me, on what's going on with it all, that would be amazing

I hope everyone is coping in this current state of the world xx
    I could be wrong but my understanding is....
    If you've been laid off, thou should be entitled to the job seeker payment. I think it's aroung 550/ fortnight (based on what I've read saying the 2nd stimulus pack will double it) you should be entitled to it without a wait period. It will reduce due to your partners income.
    You'd possibly be entitled to ftb as you've got the child more than 35% of the time... and maybe rent assistance too.... and maybe a concession card? Maybe child support? Depending on who the child belongs to and the other parents situation

The 1st stimulus package announced a 750 payment, I'm not sure if you will or wouldn't get that based on dates. But centrelink may know.
    The 2nd pack said jobseekers and a few others would get an extra 550/fortnight for 6 months because of the coronavirus.... and if they aren't eligible for the 550/ fortnight they get a 2nd round of 750 in (?) July.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Anyone know what else you can grow without seeds? As in celery, spring onions etc. I'm in Canberra so cold frosty winter. I've got rocket in the garden beds, have pulled out some herbs to transplant into pots to see if they can get through winter if protected from frost. I've also put in sugar snap and snow pea seeds. If the ants don't get them and we survive the zombie apocalypse they should start fruiting after the frosts.
    Could you buy a little hot house and grow some things in that ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    Could you buy a little hot house and grow some things in that ?
    Good idea. So much to get tomorrow, I'm trying to work out what will remain open or available online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So much for national coordination. The ACT education minister said that schools will be closing from Tuesday and that she has no idea why the PM suggested otherwise. Ouch. Anyone get the feeling the national cabinet meetings are quite sparky?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

Stretched (23-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ha! Yep!
    Vic, nsw and act forcing scomos hand

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalina View Post
    Good idea. So much to get tomorrow, I'm trying to work out what will remain open or available online.
    Bunnings is classes as essential and is actually suppose to be extending its hours

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babybeeno1 For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior (23-03-2020)