+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default When to tell your boss about your pregnancy

I am working in IT and have not yet told my boss about my pregnancy. I am very nervous to tell anyone yet. I am middle of moving to next levels and stuff and I dont want to be excluded from any important projects just now as I still have 6 more months to go. I have a history of depression and I know If they'll start excluding me from important meetings/projects I would start feeling left out. I am just so confused with everything. And with this already going over coronavirus threat, there is already so much to think as I work in a hospital. Anyone has any suggestions or thought on this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When to tell your boss about your pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by Arya20 View Post
    I am working in IT and have not yet told my boss about my pregnancy. I am very nervous to tell anyone yet. I am middle of moving to next levels and stuff and I dont want to be excluded from any important projects just now as I still have 6 more months to go. I have a history of depression and I know If they'll start excluding me from important meetings/projects I would start feeling left out. I am just so confused with everything. And with this already going over coronavirus threat, there is already so much to think as I work in a hospital. Anyone has any suggestions or thought on this?
    Hello lovely

I think it’s a very personal choice and whilst it’s sad that you don’t feel safe enough at work to say anything that’s your choice.

Assuming that you’re not obviously showing, I think you legally have to tell them 10 weeks before you’re due to go on leave.

It’s all here on the Fairwork Australia website and I’ve pasted an extract below. https://www.fairwork.gov.au/leave/ma...parental-leave

One thing I will say thats worth taking into consideration though is your maternity cover. As in, how difficult is it to replace your role? I’m due to go on leave the 1st June and my boss wants to advertise ASAP as my roles quite specific. Ideally you wouldn’t leave it to late as your manager might find It stressful doing last minute recruitment, which never goes down well!

Best of luck with it.

10 weeks before starting leave

An employee has to give notice to their employer at least 10 weeks before starting their unpaid parental leave. This notice needs to be in writing, and say how much leave they want to take, including the starting and finishing dates.

If an employee can’t give 10 weeks’ notice, they need to provide as much notice as possible.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Arya20 (15-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would wait till after 20 weeks. When you’ve had you extra scans. Ideally announcing a pregnancy should change nothing, but we all know that’s not how the real world operates. If you did leave it until the last minute you might be burning some bridges

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

Arya20 (15-03-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your advice guys. I was planning to tell after 20 week scan. 10 weeks would be quite late. I have planned a bit on who can take on but it would be tough initially as I am in a very specific role.