+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Paeditrician recommendation for ADHD - South Sydney area

After 4 years of denial, exhausting self-research and and struggling to visualise where and how ADHD exists in DS (9 yo) including a few useless psychologist sessions I've basically given up and will opt to medicate DS instead.

I'd rather not go back to my previous Paed. I need a doctor who can explain and be my 'best friend' when I'm going through DS' medication phases, simply who's got my back and tells me that everything will be alright.

DS has a mild ADHD and doesn't even look like it exists when he's at home (a very sweet and chatty boy), but desperately need help as he's simply under performing and overwhelmed in class hence affecting his academic performance and overall class collaboration.

Anyone who's pro ADHD medication, please drop me a line here. Many thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Hi there

I can't help with a paed recommendation unfortunately (I don't live in Sydney), but I do have a 9 year old DS who is medicated for ADHD.

He started with a very low dose, which helped him with his focus at school. Without medication he is very easily distracted and has to be reminded repeatedly to stay on task (he is also autistic).

We recently moved him onto a Ritalin slow release tablet (1 a day) instead of two quarter tablets of standard Ritalin a day. It's only been a few days, but so far so good.

The thing with medication is that it is a matter of trial and error - like a lot of medications, one size does not fit all. Ritalin is often the first medication that ADHD children are trialled on, but there are other drugs that can be prescribed if Ritalin isn't a good fit. Fortunately for us, Ritalin works well.

It's a big decision when you have to decide whether to medicate your child or not, but for us it was really about giving DS the best chance to reach his potential academically.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bunnymum View Post
    After 4 years of denial, exhausting self-research and and struggling to visualise where and how ADHD exists in DS (9 yo) including a few useless psychologist sessions I've basically given up and will opt to medicate DS instead.

I'd rather not go back to my previous Paed. I need a doctor who can explain and be my 'best friend' when I'm going through DS' medication phases, simply who's got my back and tells me that everything will be alright.

DS has a mild ADHD and doesn't even look like it exists when he's at home (a very sweet and chatty boy), but desperately need help as he's simply under performing and overwhelmed in class hence affecting his academic performance and overall class collaboration.

Anyone who's pro ADHD medication, please drop me a line here. Many thanks.
    How south are you?? St George/ Sutherland Shire??