+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Umbilical hernia

Ds2 was a 35wker and was born with a large umbilical hernia that mostly resolved itself by the time he was 9mths. We’ve seen a paed recently who had a poke around and said it was still open, about 1.5cms. He’s not concerned and said to keep an eye on it and give it a poke every now and then. We moved on fairly quickly to other issues and it wasn’t until later I started thinking about it.

So please tell me about your experiences with umbilical hernias. Did they resolve themselves completely? How long did it take? Did they require surgery or can they be left open indefinitely if causing no issues?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Dd2 had one. It ended up resolving itself, but I can't remember how long it took. On advice of a paed, when she was wearing something with a waistband, I sat it over the hernia so it would squish it down. It went down pretty quick after I started doing that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It doesn’t really poke out anymore, just looks like he has a large bellybutton. That’s why I was a bit surprised when the paed said it was still open.
    Might have see if I can find some pants with a decent waistband for him and give that a go. We live in the tropics and when he wears clothes it’s usually a onesie or romper or lightweight shorts. Shorts tend to sit under his round belly.

Forgot to mention he’s 19 mths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinkletoes Sparklebutt View Post
    It doesn’t really poke out anymore, just looks like he has a large bellybutton. That’s why I was a bit surprised when the paed said it was still open.
    Might have see if I can find some pants with a decent waistband for him and give that a go. We live in the tropics and when he wears clothes it’s usually a onesie or romper or lightweight shorts. Shorts tend to sit under his round belly.

Forgot to mention he’s 19 mths.
    Leggings or bike shorts tend to sit a bit higher and have a good waistband. Cotton On Kids and Big W have bike shorts at the moment.

Dd's looked like an outtie belly button when it went down a bit, but you could still feel how squishy it was if you poked it. She now has an innie.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will have a look for bike shorts, much too hot for leggings here. Don’t think he would know himself in long pants
    IMG_6373.jpgIMG_6372.jpgIMG_6371.jpg

It sticks out a bit more than I thought, it was so big to start with this looked relatively ‘normal’ to me.