+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Babyproofing

Anyone have a babyproofing brand/kit/tips they can recommend? DD2 is speed crawling lol and into absolutely everything. I'm always with her, but even so, she's fast and strong so I'm thinking we need to babyproof this time around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Babyproofing

The only baby proofing we did for DS was the following, he’s currently 22 months:

Outlet plugs with the plastic insert

Rubber corner protectors - only on tv unit as it is quite low

Rubber door stoppers

Sliding lock of kitchen cupboard- mainly the one full of chemicals

The only other thing we did was making sure accessible things on shelves such as the tv unit that anything dangerous was moved higher or put away!

Good luck, our DS was crawling around 6 months and was super fast too!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Loh4 For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We’ve never really baby proofed anything for any of our kids. Locks on the cupboard under the sink where the chemicals are and baby gate on the bedroom door when the move to a normal bed.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All we ever did was a lock on cupboard under kitchen sink and under en-suite sink due to both having chemicals.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ds2 is a busy little beastie that is into everything. All doors closed to laundry, toilets and bathrooms. Baby gate on Ds1’s room so he can play with his toys without El Destructo eating/destroying his things.

Cupboards and drawers have these locks on them:
    https://www.dreambaby.com.au/home-sa...-grey-6pk.html

Just this week we have the added joy of having to stack our dining chairs with his new game of climbing on the table.

I’m not looking forward to when he tall enough to open doors, but also live in hope that he might ease up on living the kamakaze life 🤦‍♀️

We didn’t need to baby proof for Ds1.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (24-02-2020),Kalina (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Moved all chemicals, toiletries etc into upper cabinets so the cant be reached. Screwed all furniture like bookshelves and tallboys to the walls with L shaped brackets from general hardware store. Filled bottom drawers and cabinets with stuff bubbas can play with like tupperware, lol so they "feel" like they are still able to pillage and plunder. Anything they liked but werent allowed to play with like nick nacks etc... boxed up out of sight. Dont think I'll bother to get that crap back out as its nice and decluttered now.
    Last edited by gorgeousgeorge; 24-02-2020 at 12:49.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.S. also neber had to baby proof for DD. Must be a 2nd child syndrome thing

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gorgeousgeorge For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-02-2020),Twinkletoes Sparklebutt (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad it’s not just us! I have been thinking that maybe we were busier, more tired or less tolerant this time round.
    Our house was already relatively kid proof with no knickknacks etc. but this kid is next level ninja.
    He now showers with me because otherwise he’s in/on the toilet or in the bathtub playing with the mixer tap.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twinkletoes Sparklebutt For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (24-02-2020),Kalina (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha my third is my terror! We did put clips on the kitchen cupboards from the start, all our cupboards are low so didn’t want to lose cups etc on the tiles as we’ve smashed them ourselves. We have a gate on the laundry for kitty litter and food and clips on the bathroom cupboard too. We have medicines inside the cupboard in a very stiff plastic crate. We also have straps on the tvs. All this has worked well for the most part so far.

My 2 year old has just worked out how to open the front door by pulling up a speaker to the door, she has opened the chest freezer to get her own icy poles out and she opens the fridge/freezer and gets ice from the freezer. If the older kids leave the bathroom door open she will bring me her toothbrush or just eat the toothpaste. I just caught her with her little ride on bike on the couch! She has climbed to the top of the bunk bed and we generally call her a monkey after climbing into her high chair and stuff like that. Hoping that number 4 who is due in August is less of a daredevil!!!!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Kalina (24-02-2020),Twinkletoes Sparklebutt (24-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah we never had to do any babyproofing with DD1 either, she just wasn't into everything the way DD2 is. I suspect DD2 will be a climber too - the second I put her on the floor she does a quick scan of the room, and then she's off. She can't however (much to my relief) catch her favourite target, the cat, who'll watch and wait until DD2 is half a metre away, and then bolt.

We also didn't have as much colourful detritus about the place before DD1, so I suppose it was easier to control. DD1 is mostly very good about keeping her small objects away.

Thanks for all the tips!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalina For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (24-02-2020),Twinkletoes Sparklebutt (24-02-2020)