+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Time off work - Advice please!

I need advise for surgery I need to get done. Obviously going through multiple IVF cycle, you use a few sick days here and there for appts, epu etc. I have also had to have sick days for other medical appts and now have 1 sick day left, which I am using to get my wisdom teeth out next Monday and only having 2 days off for that.

I found out that I can book in for Lap and Hysteroscopy on the 10th of March. I am trying to figure out a way of asking my boss for the week off, but am scared he is going to deny the time off for surgery just because all the days I have had off here and there and given I have used all my sick leave!

Can he legally deny my surgery? What would you do? Otherwise I am thinking, I can be a **** and call in sick on the 10th of March and advise I have to go in for "emergency" surgery and have the week off? I rather be honest about it, but he is so unpredictable. When ever I have needed the day off for epu and the day after for recovery, he always asks if it is possible for me to change the day... I was hoping to stim In April before people have back to back annual leave. Because I know he will get ****ty if I do an IVF cycle whilst people are on annual leave.

I am so sick of waiting, I don't want to have to wait any longer than I need to. Please Help?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just get your doctor to write you a medical certificate stating that you need to have an operation and require the time off work. If you have a medical certificate they can’t deny you leave. They may not necessarily let you take sick leave, it might have to be annual leave/personal leave - it depends on your workplace policies. You may not even need to stipulate that you’re having surgery just that you will be unfit for duties for that week.

(I once worked somewhere where I was told you couldn’t “book” sick leave in advance )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post
    I would just get your doctor to write you a medical certificate stating that you need to have an operation and require the time off work. If you have a medical certificate they can’t deny you leave. They may not necessarily let you take sick leave, it might have to be annual leave/personal leave - it depends on your workplace policies. You may not even need to stipulate that you’re having surgery just that you will be unfit for duties for that week.

(I once worked somewhere where I was told you couldn’t “book” sick leave in advance )
    I will call my boss tonight after work and tell him I have to have an operation on the 10th and will require a week off and that I have a Dr Certificate coming for him. Made a GP appt for tomorrow night to get him to write out a Certificate for me advising I won't be able to work that week, and it will be a week of unpaid sick leave. I prefer to do it unpaid than use any annual leave etc. At least this way it is a family run business and it is a week they don't have to worry about paying a wage as well?

I guess all I can hope is he doesn't ark up about and it just goes smoothly, I will start it off with the start of this year has been quite stressful for me and have a few things going on and unfortunately this is what it is, I guess?! Arrrgh I hate this, why can't employers be more flexible with this kind of stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MLadyEm View Post

This is actually true! If you know you need time off for medical issues then the rules are you have time to organise it. Whereas calling in sick on the day couldn’t have been foreseen. Most employers don’t enforce this though as it just leaves them in the lurch at the last minute, they would rather notice.

OP when people have exhausted their sick leave at my work it turns to annual leave or unpaid leave. I’m sure your boss could be more helpful but you would be going negative quite a bit and most work places don’t like that.