+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Europe Vs Canada and Alaska

Hi. In 2022, DH and I celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary and I’d like to do a big overseas trip but we can’t decide where to go.

DH is into the military side of Europe- The Somme and Gallipoli and I’m wanting to go to see the mountains and glaciers of Canada and Alaska and Hawaii on the way home so he can see Pearl Harbour.

We would be away 4-6 weeks depending on where we go. I’ve been to Europe but DH hasn’t.

I know it’s years away but I need to start saving for it.

So where would you go?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Maybe have a look at “around the world” airfares and you might be able to do it all? They’re usually not that much more expensive if you book and plan early - just a quick look and I found $2100 for Sydney to Hong Kong, then Munich, then Rome, then Istanbul, then San Francisco.

With the right travel agent you could build an itinerary that would satisfy both.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pcos30 View Post
    Maybe have a look at “around the world” airfares and you might be able to do it all? They’re usually not that much more expensive if you book and plan early - just a quick look and I found $2100 for Sydney to Hong Kong, then Munich, then Rome, then Istanbul, then San Francisco.

With the right travel agent you could build an itinerary that would satisfy both.
    That’s a great idea , thank you. I’ll mention it to DH tomorrow when I see him again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by granny1 View Post
    That’s a great idea , thank you. I’ll mention it to DH tomorrow when I see him again
    If you are thinking of Canada, I recommend Banff and Lake Louise, the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We did a day trip from LL to Athabasca glacier, it was amazing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    If you are thinking of Canada, I recommend Banff and Lake Louise, the most beautiful places I have ever seen. We did a day trip from LL to Athabasca glacier, it was amazing.
    Thanks. I love the look of Lake Louise. So pretty. I’ll add those suggestions to my list .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I’m a Europe girl, the amount of culture available, all different within a couple of hours of each country means you certainly get a bang for your buck, my d/h had never been to Europe either while I had years ago, now he’s been he can’t get enough lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by stacey10 View Post
    I’m a Europe girl, the amount of culture available, all different within a couple of hours of each country means you certainly get a bang for your buck, my d/h had never been to Europe either while I had years ago, now he’s been he can’t get enough lol.
    Thanks. He really wants to go to Europe so I’m thinking we will do that plus if funds allow go to Canada or at least Hawaii on the way home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A couple other things to think about

- what parts of Europe besides Gallipoli?
    Germany are some other options

- how long on total for travelling, I’d allow 6 weeks

- how do you want to travel around Europe, train, bus or fly to each city

- allocate spending money aswell

- if you intend on staying somewhere for a bulk amount of time ie Paris book and apartment with facilities it makes it cheaper for eating

I did Europe for 7 weeks and in total spent $29k but I flights where premium economy and my moron exh would only go if we travelled on a tour where we if it was independent it would of been cheaper. $7k of the amount spent was spending money as the dollar was crap and well it still is

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babybeeno1 View Post
    A couple other things to think about

- what parts of Europe besides Gallipoli?
    Germany are some other options

- how long on total for travelling, I’d allow 6 weeks

- how do you want to travel around Europe, train, bus or fly to each city

- allocate spending money aswell

- if you intend on staying somewhere for a bulk amount of time ie Paris book and apartment with facilities it makes it cheaper for eating

I did Europe for 7 weeks and in total spent $29k but I flights where premium economy and my moron exh would only go if we travelled on a tour where we if it was independent it would of been cheaper. $7k of the amount spent was spending money as the dollar was crap and well it still is
    Thanks for the info. He wants to go to Fromelles as well as Germany . We decided on 6 weeks and we would get the train where possible to see the countryside etc. as for spending money , I’ve got no idea how much we would need . We both don’t drink or are party animals and accomodation would be paid in advance so just $ for food and sight seeing .

You’ve given me lots to think about. Thank you