+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default OT for my son

Does anyone know a good OT in Adelaide that will visit my son at school? We’re in Henley Beach so close to this area would be great. My son is in reception and his teachers would like him to start OT sessions again. His previous OT is at Kidsense but they don’t do school visits. Also, I’m about to become a single Mum and just don’t think I’ll be able to afford this. His last sessions were $95 each after the rebate and this is with a mental health plan. Are there any loop holes you know of where I can get a higher rebate or free sessions. I have paid for all of my son’s appointments over the years (neurosurgeon, Paediatrician, OT) and they are also talking about him seeing a Psychologist too! How do people afford this each week?!?! My soon to be ex just said ‘well, I can’t afford it’ so once again it’s on me to sort it out arghh! I guess I’m annoyed because my son’s issues are since his neurosurgery but there is a massive wait for any free consults through the hospital and we never got any follow up with allied health. He doesn’t have a disability (just a large cyst on his brain with a shunt in place) so I can’t get NDIS funding for him. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you tried applying for the Centrelink Carer's allowance? Its around $50 per week. I've used it (and still use it) to help pay for my SN DD's medical costs. It comes with a health care card, which means that I can get cheaper medications for her (not that she has ever needed much, but it does help).

When DD was little and seeing an OT, speech pathologist and physio I found health insurance extras were good value for us as what I was able to claim back some months was roughly equal to the premiums we were paying. I also got an allied health professional plan from the GP that meant we had access to five? medicare subsidised visits per year. Not a lot, but it did help.

Not a lot but the combo of carer's allowance, health insurance and medicare is better than nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Can the school look into it? My daughter started school this year. No NDIS and the school have said she can access a school funded OT. I'm in QLD.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default OT for my son

I’m in SA near Seacliff. The most I get back for ds2 through Medicare is 52.95 per session. This is done with a mental health care plan through your gp then you see the nurse to get the plan which can take a couple months for that spot depending on how busy they are. I’m fully funding aswell and yes it hurts out of the pocket. Ds is just below the spectrum so not enough for ndis but his paediatric psychiatrist is reviewing him in oct after he’s been on his medication for 12 months for inattentive adhd.

OT wise I take him to his appts each fortnight as it’s cheaper then the ot travelling to him. I pay $135 for 45mins or $175 for an hr with just right kids at Brighton she’s pretty full to the brim though. A friend used kid sense in unley and found them to be pretty artificial

There are couple near the city ? That come to kids but the price was like $225 an hr

I also have phi and can claim on that when my 5 cheaper Medicare sessions have been used up for the year.

Edit

Getting into a new ot is going to be the hard part there is such a massive demand and a lot of them are being used up with ndis funded kids making it harder for private patients like ourselves to get anything

Ds only started a month ago so early days for him so far but I took from sept last year I think it was to get an appt then they want you to do their assessment which costs a fortune but we had done an education based one so didn’t need to do another one.
    Last edited by babybeeno1; 15-02-2020 at 13:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you spoken to your GP about a chronic disease/disability management plan? My DD15 is using one of those to access speech therapy. We are waiting NDIS assessment

You can get a mental health care plan for 6 psychologist visits.

We also can claim psychologist, speech therapy and OT on our private health cover extras

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone.

With the Centrelink allowance of $50 a week, do I need to be earning under a certain amount?

I’ll definitely ask about a school funded OT!

My son’s Paediatrician gave him a mental health plan because apparently that gave us the best rebate for 10 sessions (still have 4 sessions left we can use). His first assessment cost $330 so hopefully we don’t to need to get another one when changing OTs!

I changed our private insurance extras cover a couple of years ago to make the premium cheaper. Now it doesn’t cover OT or Psychologist. I did this before I knew my son would need any of this. Obviously I can add them again but it’s a 12 month wait.

Anyway, I’ll look into the options you have mentioned. Appreciate your help, thanks 😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymummy5 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

With the Centrelink allowance of $50 a week, do I need to be earning under a certain amount?

I’ll definitely ask about a school funded OT!

My son’s Paediatrician gave him a mental health plan because apparently that gave us the best rebate for 10 sessions (still have 4 sessions left we can use). His first assessment cost $330 so hopefully we don’t to need to get another one when changing OTs!

I changed our private insurance extras cover a couple of years ago to make the premium cheaper. Now it doesn’t cover OT or Psychologist. I did this before I knew my son would need any of this. Obviously I can add them again but it’s a 12 month wait.

Anyway, I’ll look into the options you have mentioned. Appreciate your help, thanks ������
    https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au...arer-allowance

There never used to be, but reading the link it seems there is one now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok thanks. I’ll have a read.