+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Would you repeat your child

If you had the option to repeat your child at a new school would you? Academically are ok but are one of the younger less mature girls in the year. If she doesn’t repeat she’ll be 17 all through year 12 if she does repeat she’ll turn 18 just as she starts year 12.

ETA
    It’s more so she’s with kids her age/maturity level. It’d be a different school where she doesn’t know anyone. Academically she is ok. She does struggle a bit but the class sizes are big and the type of children are less than ideal with the teachers having no control over them at all. The new school are capped at 25 in a class and a no phone policy
    Last edited by musicalmummy; 14-02-2020 at 17:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not just because she is younger (my DD will turn 18 in Dec of her Year12).

Factors that would impact the decision are
    -if she's academically behind, especially in reading as that starts to impact all subjects more as you move through school.
    -if you're moving interstate to a state with more advanced curriculum expectations, or vice versa.
    -if you're moving from a country/outer burbs school with a more relaxed attitude to academics to an inner city/socioeconomic-demographic school with rigorously high academic expectations and a high level of students getting private tutoring. Or vice versa.

Depending on the age of the child, I would heavily factor in their preference as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Only if she wanted to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, I wouldn't. My DD12 is one of the youngest in her year and will finish at 17 1/2.

I was made to repeat grade 6 and all my friends went off to highschool and I stayed behind. I would have finished school at 17 1/2 if I had not repeated. Even now it still annoys me (I am 40).

If the only reason is age, no way would I have my child repeat. We did have discussions with DD prep teacher about having her do another year of prep due to her being young, but as she was academically doing great we let her go on with her friends. Repeating her would have been my very last resort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Based purely on age as the only reason, no.

Is there a reason for changing schools or literally only because of the repeating a year? (Ie won't change unless repeating?)

However....
    How old is your child now?
    Is there a big maturity level difference between her and her peers? What about socially?

I finished year 12 at 17 1/2... and I coped fine. That being said... My eldest repeated 4yo kinder (would have finished yr12 at 17 3/4, but will now be 18 3/4.) Because he was struggling in a few areas at kinder level, so we figured better to repeat kinder than later in prep/1/2, and it was the best decision we made.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you need to be considering more factors than just age - unless she is also very immature.

If i thought it was in my childs best interests then yep i would

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 3 children repeating a year this year at the school I work at . All 3 repeated as they were just not ready academically for the next grade. 1 child is repeating foundation, 1 child is repeating grade 2 and 1 child is repeating grade 6. The child repeating foundation is also very young for his year and really should not have started school last year, however his parents didnt want him to do another year of childcare.

This year is the first time in 5 years that we've had a child repeat a year. It's totally coincidental that there are 3 repeating in the one year.

I personally wouldnt repeat my child purely based on age but would look at them academically and socially.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope.
    Unless there are other issues.
    Both my kids are some of the youngest in class.
    DD will be 17 when she starts uni. Currently she is in year 12 and only 16. Its not an issue apart from the complaining that she can’t drive to school like some of her friends.
    DS will be the same he is the youngest in his primary class.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Definitely not based on age alone..there’ll always be a year difference between the youngest and oldest in each year group. After awhile, it’s hard to tell who are the eldest/youngest in each year group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be interested to hear a high school teachers opinion, especially senior - yr 11/12.

if it really makes a difference or not, if they can tell (or not), and things that may stand out as obvious issues etc. And their personal opinion
    I do think a lot would come down to the individual child though

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shadowangel0205 For This Useful Post:

gorgeousgeorge (15-02-2020)