+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default What makes you adore your Mum?

I’ve been wondering about what makes people adore their Mum? I see my friends and they have so much respect for their Mum and think she’s amazing. Is it as simple as encouraging, loving, respecting and being there for your child no matter what? I’m really hoping I can be that Mum to my kids where they love and respect me, and we enjoy each other’s company, even when they are older. So, what makes you think the world of your Mum? Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum isn't without fault - she most certainly should have left our abusive dad much sooner, but I understand she was a victim. She also has some annoying qualities and when I've had to live/stay with her as an adult (e.g. after returning from travelling) she drives me a bit bananas with a few little habits of hers.

But on the whole she is amazing. I can always talk to her. I don't tell her everything now, not due to judgement but because I can see she has anxiety and I know she'll spend a week worrying when all I needed was a vent. I've always felt like she is a friend as I am comfortable to be myself around her.

As a child, any discipline from her was fair. She didn't yell just because she was having a bad day or decide that something I'd done yesterday was suddenly not ok today and deserved a smack. She did smack us, as was very common back then (I'm 44), but only if we'd done something really bad. She didn't need to punish us a lot as she was very patient and we would do what she asked after a few nags. So while she was my friend, her authority was still clear and I knew the boundaries.

She would do anything for any of us. She will babysit the kids even when she's had a big week. She will shuffle money around to help one of us out. She will just text or call to follow up if she knows we had something important on that week. When I lived interstate, she would make sure no matter what she could afford to visit us at least 1-2 times every year.

It's lots of little things and, even with her faults, the fact that she loves us never comes into question. I hope my kids love me as much as I love her at this age.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (12-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is such a great post!

My mum is my world. She is my rock, I feel at constant ease throughout life knowing my parents are only a phone call away.

Why? Because she never lets me give up, is always so positive and reassuring and when I have an issue, she always says we will find a way. She has so much patience, time, love and encouragement for her children. I am in awe of her more so since having my own child. Both my parents have worked so hard to give us everything.. I can tell her anything and she doesn’t judge or get mad, she just supports me no matter what.

She is such a strong woman and I would love for my children to feel the way I do about her in the future. She has left the country for a few weeks and I feel sad she isn’t only just a call away lol!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My mum is my best friend!

She's my confidante. I can talk to her about anything, and she gives unbiased advice, or just lets me vent if that's what I need. Now that we're adults, I'm her go to person too. We do heaps together, and my parents have a really good relationship with my dh, which makes it easier.

As I was growing up, my mum had quite healthy expectations of me, in the sense that she didn't bury her head in the sand about things teenagers do, but also didn't give me free reign to do what I wanted. She always made it clear, and proved so, that I could talk to her about anything without judgement.

She found interests that we shared, like reading true crime books ir shopping, and we bonded over them.

She also treats me and my siblings like individuals; understanding that we are different people, with different goals and achievements rather than comparing us or expecting the same from each of us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am an only child so my mum & I have a very close mother/daughter relationship. We had a rocky patch in my teenage years where I was being a rebellious teen. Mum didn’t agree with all my choices but she never gave up on me. She was always there for me through thick & thin, even if I thought I didn’t need her to be she was there.

She is the kindest, most loving person I know. She does so much for me & DD even now that I am a mum myself. When I thought I would never get the opportunity to be a mum she never believed it. She always told me to never give up on my dreams because one day they would come true & they did. She is such an encouraging person. Before DD came along we had mumma/daughter day once a week where we would go shopping, have lunch just hang out & now we have mumma/daughter/granddaughter day we love it!!

I hope myself & DD have the same relationship as mum & I do, already we are so close & she’s only 3.5

Mum truly is my best friend ❤️

Thanks
    Reviews
    My Mum is calm, non-judgmental, present, loves unconditionally and rolls with the punches. I wish I could be more like her, as she is completely non-anxious (I am the opposite). She walks the talk, which is something I’ve tried (and am still trying) to emulate. A wonderful role model with a heart for others, always helping in the community and humbly walking alongside the needy. She’s a complete legend, even now at 81 years old.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny (17-02-2020),Yogis Mumma (12-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default What makes you adore your Mum?

My siblings are 12, 10 and 8 years older than me so during my school years, I spent so much time one-on-one with mum while dad was working and my siblings were with friends or part time jobs. I have so many memories of boring stuff like running errands with her after school or in the holidays but for some reason, I just loved it.

She’s a warm person who will go to the end of the earth for people she cares about. In fairness, my dad is the same with being selfless. They make me feel guilty if I say “I need to work an extra day so booked the kids into daycare / after school care” as if they’re offended that I wouldn’t ask them, despite them already having my kids 2 days per week. She’s lightheartedly judgey towards me but respects me enough to not seriously judge me (or at least not to my face, which is fine because we do have some different values).

I really love how she’s willing to put herself out for others, and try to be the same for the people I care about because I value it so much.

ETA I also love how ballsy she is. She has no qualms asking a doctor who has signs up saying they don’t bulk bull whether they will infact bulk bill (surprisingly the answer is often yes ) and she’s not petty but has no hesitation in calling people out who really hurt her. She doesn’t hold grudges or burn bridges though; I really admire her ability to address issues and move on from them.
    Last edited by JR03; 12-02-2020 at 18:39.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (12-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum loves us kids unconditionally! She’s very opinionated and gives her opinions whether we want them or not but for some reason I love this about her

The older I get, the more I appreciate how tough it must have been for her at times but gave us an amazing upbringing and never held us back. I moved to England (for a year) a month before my 18th birthday and she fully supported me!

I feel like my mum knows sooooo much - I go to her with any problem but I’m 35 and a mum of 2 and I wonder, when will I stop relying on my mum so much, soon my kids will need me like I still need her.

I always thought unconditional love from parents was a given but it took a long time before I realised that not everyone gets that kind of love...I’m lucky I do and I’ll give it to my boys!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, great responses and you’re lucky to have such beautiful role models in your lives. I’ll take the traits you’ve all mentioned on board and hopefully my kids will still love me, even when they are older!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymummy5 For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (14-02-2020)