+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How long did it take your thyroid to stabilise?

Need help from anyone that has thyroid issues! The Dr I saw a week ago who suggested I had surgery, also said we shouldn't stim again until the levels are normal! I also have thyroid antibodies which doesn't help my situation! 

October TSH was 33, dropped to 0.84 in exactly 3 weeks. 20 Dec re-test TSH was 3.54. Tested again today and back up to 15

How long did your thyroid take to stabilise? 

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyc View Post
    Need help from anyone that has thyroid issues! The Dr I saw a week ago who suggested I had surgery, also said we shouldn't stim again until the levels are normal! I also have thyroid antibodies which doesn't help my situation! 

October TSH was 33, dropped to 0.84 in exactly 3 weeks. 20 Dec re-test TSH was 3.54. Tested again today and back up to 15

How long did your thyroid take to stabilise? 
    For me it’s an ongoing thing. But if your doctors only testing TSH you’re gonna run into problems. If it’s hashimotos TSH can go all over the place. More important to have a full thyroid panel done (TSH, T3, T4 and two antibodies). T3 and T4 are most important.

Check out StopTheThyroidMadness.com I found it really helpful

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KJane13 For This Useful Post:

emilyc (10-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KJane13 View Post
    For me it’s an ongoing thing. But if your doctors only testing TSH you’re gonna run into problems. If it’s hashimotos TSH can go all over the place. More important to have a full thyroid panel done (TSH, T3, T4 and two antibodies). T3 and T4 are most important.

Check out StopTheThyroidMadness.com I found it really helpful
    Thank you so much! They haven't actually told me what I have. Last time we checked my antibodies were 266. And my naturopath said I had hashimotos. So not too sure what to do? I don't know what to say to my fs? I just don't want them to rush it again like they did last year and my levels go from 1 extreme to another...

Thanks
    Reviews

Have you seen an endocrinologist? Highly recommend seeing one if you haven’t to manage your levels, especially if you are trying to fall pregnant. I found my GP wasn’t able to stay totally on top of the situation.

My endocrinologist told me it can take 4-6 weeks for changes in medication to stabilise the levels, plus there is some juggling in the beginning to find the correct dose.

I have hashimotos, which was only picked up after I fell pregnant but my levels stabilised quite quickly from memory. I have also since had half my thyroid removed and it did take a bit longer to balance the levels after that. That said, my T3 and T4 levels have always stayed within range, it’s only my TSH which gets out of control so it all depends on your specific situation I guess.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyninja View Post
    Have you seen an endocrinologist? Highly recommend seeing one if you haven’t to manage your levels, especially if you are trying to fall pregnant. I found my GP wasn’t able to stay totally on top of the situation.

My endocrinologist told me it can take 4-6 weeks for changes in medication to stabilise the levels, plus there is some juggling in the beginning to find the correct dose.

I have hashimotos, which was only picked up after I fell pregnant but my levels stabilised quite quickly from memory. I have also since had half my thyroid removed and it did take a bit longer to balance the levels after that. That said, my T3 and T4 levels have always stayed within range, it’s only my TSH which gets out of control so it all depends on your specific situation I guess.
    Thank you for your reply, my FS is an Endo which helps! When I first went on thyroxine, my TSH was 33, after being on thyroxine for 3 weeks, when I asked to go back in to be tested, my levels had dropped to 0.84. So they dropped the dose from 100mcg to 50mcg.

I went in yesterday to be re-tested (feeling super exhauseted and tired all the time again) TSH levels are back up to 11.5. They want me to take 100mcg again (My fs isn't back until next week) I questioned this dose because last time my levels dropped so quickly! My T4 is at 15. So I think at this stage I might take 100 every 2nd day, because I noticed the extreme changes when I was put on 100mcg last time, I literally turned into a crazy hormonal person!

I saw a naturopath mid-December that said it sound like I hashimoto's. How do you know if you have it? What was the reason they removed half of it?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by emilyc View Post
    Thank you for your reply, my FS is an Endo which helps! When I first went on thyroxine, my TSH was 33, after being on thyroxine for 3 weeks, when I asked to go back in to be tested, my levels had dropped to 0.84. So they dropped the dose from 100mcg to 50mcg.

I went in yesterday to be re-tested (feeling super exhauseted and tired all the time again) TSH levels are back up to 11.5. They want me to take 100mcg again (My fs isn't back until next week) I questioned this dose because last time my levels dropped so quickly! My T4 is at 15. So I think at this stage I might take 100 every 2nd day, because I noticed the extreme changes when I was put on 100mcg last time, I literally turned into a crazy hormonal person!

I saw a naturopath mid-December that said it sound like I hashimoto's. How do you know if you have it? What was the reason they removed half of it?
    I think the thyroid antibodies are the indicator of hashimotos - but there are different kinds of antibodies too so it does depend on which kind you have (I don’t know about that in any more detail though - just that they tested me for the second kind when I was pregnant and I didn’t have them, if you do, the baby needs testing/treatment at birth apparently).

I had cancerous nodules on my thyroid which is why they removed half. That was picked up on ultrasound (then confirmed via biopsy). The ultrasound was part of the routine testing related to my thyroid issues so might be worth asking if you should have that done at some point too. Thyroid cancer is apparently quite common in women, although it’s not very aggressive and I didn’t need any treatment other than surgery so not something to stress about too much.

Good luck - I think you can get a 75mcg dose too which might work for you? Otherwise skipping some days might work (I was taking thyroxine 6 days a week for a while). Every second day might be too much, that would work out the same as taking 50 every day so you would be in the same situation as you are now.
    Last edited by ivyninja; 11-02-2020 at 17:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyninja View Post
    I think the thyroid antibodies are the indicator of hashimotos - but there are different kinds of antibodies too so it does depend on which kind you have (I don’t know about that in any more detail though - just that they tested me for the second kind when I was pregnant and I didn’t have them, if you do, the baby needs testing/treatment at birth apparently).

I had cancerous nodules on my thyroid which is why they removed half. That was picked up on ultrasound (then confirmed via biopsy). The ultrasound was part of the routine testing related to my thyroid issues so might be worth asking if you should have that done at some point too. Thyroid cancer is apparently quite common in women, although it’s not very aggressive and I didn’t need any treatment other than surgery so not something to stress about too much.

Good luck - I think you can get a 75mcg dose too which might work for you? Otherwise skipping some days might work (I was taking thyroxine 6 days a week for a while). Every second day might be too much, that would work out the same as taking 50 every day so you would be in the same situation as you are now.
    Yeah I might call up next week when he is back in and ask about the scan etc, I feel like they aren't taking it very seriously, because they just want to get my levels right again so we can pump out another cycle. But I am not rushing in to another cycle this time, I rather take it slowly and it be right?

Oh I meant take 50mcg one day and then 100mcg the 2nd day kind of thing? What was the surgery and recovery time like? How did they remove it out of curiosity? I am still new to all this thyroid stuff, other than knowing the different symptoms from the different levels etc! I know my thyroid needs to be stabilised before I get pregnant, but I am not anywhere near close to getting there anyway. So I just hope my clinic aren't being to drastic with the doses!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like what everyone else said. Test TSH & T4 also T3.
    4-6 weeks for a new dose to take effect to retest.
    I'm on Thyroxine 75..Some days I test it's slightly different to the next but 100 is too much and 50 not enough.
    Even tried T3 on its own and it wasn't as effective as Thyroxine on me but some find it more effective it depends on your endocrine.
    You need a good endocrinologist, not all are good. GPs don't always know how to read the tests.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to WintersDay For This Useful Post:

emilyc (12-02-2020)

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Sounds like your meds may be too low? I have hashimotos. Tsh should be less than 1.5 ideally, and t4, t3 in the normal range.
    Should stabilise within a couple of months if the dose is right.

Eta. My gp said it doesn't really matter how low your tsh drops as long as t4 and t3 are in the right range.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 11-02-2020 at 17:17.