+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Dh refers to his mum as mum not Nana to the kids.

Am I overreacting to get annoyed and angry when he does this? Ie he will tell dd's to give that to mum.. Mum will be here soon.. Mum this mum that.. Instead of give that to Nana, Nana will be here soon etc. I've told him it's disrespectful to me to do this and he said he doesn't mean to. The girls are nearly 15 and 8.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I don’t see how it’s disrespectful to you, especially given your girls are old enough to understand he’s referring to his mother, not to you.

But if you’ve said it’s important to you, he should at least try not to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That’d annoy me too!

Unfortunately it sounds like it’s a habit he’s not ever going to break. Even if he added the word “my” before “give it to MY Mum” or “MY Mum is going to be here soon” it would be better.

FWIW it’s worth, both my DH and I refer to the kids Nanna/Nan as “Nanna is looking after you today” or “Nan is here”. In fact my Mum is listed in my phone as “Nanna”.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m a bit confused... it is his mum. Aren’t your children supposed to call her nana? I’m not sure how it works.
    Either way I always say mum to my mother and even talking to my kids I say pass this to mum. Even DH says that e.g “I’m taking the kids to see mum”.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (09-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is creepy. I dont think you are over-reacting. I would find it uncomfortable and weird. She isn't their mother, she is their grandmother, Geez new level of Oedipus complex.

If you are talking to kids you refer to the other person as the name the kids call them.
    Last edited by Mummamania; 09-02-2020 at 10:54.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I don’t see an issue either, they are old enough to differentiate between mum and nanna.. don’t over think it love as he probably doesn’t have any ill intentions behind it xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I’m really lost as to this issue. Your DH calls his mum, mum...? Your kids are old enough to know that their dad’s mum is their nan/nana/grandma.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To clear something up. Mil lives with us when she's home from fifo. When talking to the kids he most often says eg "mum was calling you" and when she's home will go to her because he does it that often, when he meant I was calling them and vice versa. The look on their faces is usually confusion.

Someone said Oedipus complex and it certainly feels that way a lot of the time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Mummamania (09-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    To clear something up. Mil lives with us when she's home from fifo. When talking to the kids he most often says eg "mum was calling you" and when she's home will go to her because he does it that often, when he meant I was calling them and vice versa. The look on their faces is usually confusion.

Someone said Oedipus complex and it certainly feels that way a lot of the time.
    In the VERY LEAST he should be saying to the kids MY mum was calling you." But more appropriate would definitely be "Nana was calling you" very strange. Is he just doing it to irritate you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I think I understand what you mean in the sense that it can get confusing. Have you talked to him about it? Like another poster said can he say “my mum”. I personally hate the word nan or nana just reminds me of someone in a nursing home. Weird I know.
    But I think there is probably something else going on for you guys. It’s not hard for him to say my mum, if he is more comfortable using the word mum.
    Also I can imagine it wouldn’t be easy for anyone living with their MIL.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (09-02-2020)