+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My daughter is about to start kindergarten nsw with 30 in her class and no aides and 30 in the second class. Out of 8 children from her daycare the teachers knew of they put all her friends together in 1 class and only her and the bully from daycare in her class. School wasn't my choice and hubby sent her to be with her best friend she will likely lose now thy separated them but it is what it is unfortunately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wobblermummy View Post
    My daughter is about to start kindergarten nsw with 30 in her class and no aides and 30 in the second class. Out of 8 children from her daycare the teachers knew of they put all her friends together in 1 class and only her and the bully from daycare in her class. School wasn't my choice and hubby sent her to be with her best friend she will likely lose now thy separated them but it is what it is unfortunately.
    30 in a kindergarten class? Is it a religious school?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, 30 kids. That is a massive class.
    Our kindy classes have between 16 to 18 kids and have an aide aswell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    30 is a huge class size. When I spoke to our assistant principal last year they had 56 enrolled and they were expecting the usual last minute extras so were going with three classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Strange that they wouldn't have tried for a more even split. I know it can't be easy for teachers when they do place kids, but from my limited experience so far I'm not entirely convinced it's not mostly arbitrary where the majority of kids are concerned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    This has to be a Catholic school with that many kindy kids!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Class allocations - what's reasonable?

As a kindy/prep teacher, we don’t really know which daycare/preschool the kids have been to. Unless parents request it, we wouldn’t really know who to put together and who are friends.

We evenly distribute the children who are still only 4 when they start school so one teacher doesn’t have all the young ones. We do the same for children with additional needs, ASD, behaviour issues, and Aboriginal students as we have to do individual learning pathways for each aboriginal student so don’t want all to be in one class making more work for one teacher. Then we evenly spread out the boys and girls. This year we all have more boys in our classes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As a kindy/prep teacher, we don’t really know which daycare/preschool the kids have been to. Unless parents request it, we wouldn’t really know who to put together and who are friends.

We evenly distribute the children who are still only 4 when they start school so one teacher doesn’t have all the young ones. We do the same for children with additional needs, ASD, behaviour issues, and Aboriginal students as we have to do individual learning pathways for each aboriginal student so don’t want all to be in one class making more work for one teacher. Then we evenly spread out the boys and girls. This year we all have more boys in our classes.
    Our school definitely looked at preschool to place the kids, both times my girls have been in a class with kids they knew from preschool. My oldest they split up two kids who were cousins but otherwise all in one class and this year with dd2 one child was put in a different class with behavioural issues otherwise the other three are in the same class. They also placed dd2 in a class with two other siblings of kids in dd1 year but I think that was probably unintentional although has been really good for her as she was familiar with these kids from pick up.