+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That’s weird. I wouldn’t care so much about the cost of running the aircon but that they thought it was fine to hang out at your place. Very odd.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live in a small country town where it is very normal for friends and family to look after pets/yards unpaid. I had done this myself for these neighbours and others. Babysitting too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It is a bit surprising considering there was no requirement to open the house up, but if they are good neighbours and you trust them then no harm done I guess (apart from using some of your power!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    i would find this weird. they agreed to help you out by checking on the animals and collecting the eggs. you’re paying them in eggs. i would feel quite used that they’re taking advantage by letting themselves indoors, using your ac and using the house to sleep in. or, if they have done that, at least be upfront about it and tell you that they’ve done this. i’d be really disappointed with the lack of transparency.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

mooka (12-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I’d find this weird, if there was no reason to go inside, then for them to just go in and hang out in there and use your air con when they have their own, financial situation or not, unless they had asked you first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes, i would find that weird. If it were me and i wanted to do that and i knew you well, i would have just texted and asked before I did it. To me, yeah a favour for a favour BUT you dont take the favour in return without agreeing on what exactly the return favour is. Its like, if they knew you wouldnt mind and would say yes, then why not ask. Id also feel really violated that they went inside your house, while you were away without your consent. What if someone had broken in, would you worry it was because they didnt lock the door properly etc... Would it become weird wondering if it were them that srole stuff etc... Could have opened up a whole can of worms. Glad it didnt though.
    And would they feel the same if you let yourself into their house to use their appliances while they were away without them knowing.
    The more I think about it, the more i dont like it. I wouldnt have the guts to say exactly what i thought, but id definitely say "its fine but next time could you just let us know beforehand please."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It’s weird to me but I don’t know how close you guys are. Was it just one day or was it daily. If it was a one off I guess it’s not too weird if they are struggling financially.
    I think it’s more sad really, being in a situation that the price of air con can put a family out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Mummamania (03-02-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    Okay... So it's a favour for a favour then. Although let's be frank, it would cost a lot more to hire someone to come around and check on your pets than it would to buy a carton of eggs. Going rates around here are about $40 per check.
    I find it weirder that people pay their neighbours $40 per check to basically feed a pet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I find it weird that they accessed your house when there was no need to go inside. Do they have a key? Do they have some kind of arrangement with you where they can let themselves into your home?

If they had no need to be even inside the house I would definitely be uncomfortable with them coming inside without prior knowledge/invitation/permission.

I have a friend (former housemate) who lives close by. I have a key to her place. No WAY would I ever enter her house without her asking me to/me asking her first because it’s just polite/good manners. Even when my parents stayed at her place when DD was born they texted her before they went over the first time (they used my key to her place) to let her know they were heading over as she was at work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did they get in? Do they have a key? If all the pets and pet food are all outside, with no need to go inside, didnt you lock your house?