+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I right to find this weird?

So my family went away for a holiday and asked a close neighbour if they could feed our pets. All outdoor pets, all feed located outside.
    When we returned we noticed that the toys in our front room had all been tidied (definitely not how it was left) and the settings on the air conditioner had been changed.
    Turns out the neighbour and their kids had been coming over and having naps in our spare room in the aircon.

Now, it's not unusual for the kids to nap in the spare room when they come over for a visit (looooong visits) but this seemed a bit much. There was no reason to go inside at all.
    My only explanation is that money is tight right now and they didn't want the expense of using their own aircon.
    On the other hand I had been looking forward to selling a bit of electricity back to the grid while we were gone. Oh well.

Edit: They have mentioned it in passing (that's how I know what was going on) and they are great neighbours and no harm done so I'll just chalk it up to an odd moment and happily move forward.
    Last edited by blahthesheep; 03-02-2020 at 18:16. Reason: More info

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do they have air conditioning?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes they do but they are struggling financially. I would have been totally fine with it had they asked. I suppose they knew that.
    Last edited by blahthesheep; 03-02-2020 at 14:27. Reason: Added detail

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Did you pay for them for their pet care services while you were away?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, in eggs. They just had to pop next doorb feed chooks and collect eggs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Okay... So it's a favour for a favour then. Although let's be frank, it would cost a lot more to hire someone to come around and check on your pets than it would to buy a carton of eggs. Going rates around here are about $40 per check.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is a little bit weird, but if the kids have napped in your aircon before when they came to visit, maybe they just thought it would be ok to do it without asking.
    Without seeing the relationship between you and these neighbours it's a bit hard to say really! Maybe they feel like you have a closer friendship then you really do? For me, if I had family come over to feed my animals, I would not find it weird if they went inside and stayed as long as they wanted, but would find it weird if my neighbours did, because I am not that close with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! Seems like I'm being a bit too sensitive so it's time to put on my big girl pants!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not that you're being sensitive, as I think most people would be throw off a little at first. It's just that it's easier for us to be objective as we're looking in from the outside.

If they're a good neighbour, then don't sweat it. Things could be so much worse. xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh no, I definitely didn't mean you were being too sensitive! I think they should have asked, and I myself would find it weird... but maybe they're just the sort of people who think that's ok? Some people are just more "what's mine is yours" than other people, and would think it was totally normal to do that