+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Coronavirus

6 confirmed cases in Australia so far... Feeling a teency bit concerned. Anyone else worried or is it just me?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post
    6 confirmed cases in Australia so far... Feeling a teency bit concerned. Anyone else worried or is it just me?
    Me ‍♀️I try not to worry too much about it but keep reading any new updates. I’m 30w pregnant and get worried my dh would somehow be exposed. A few weeks ago it was measles, but at least we were immune.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well considering most news from China is heavily censored and the fact that Chinese doctors are sending out messages via journalist that contradicts what the government is saying ...yea I’m a little concerned.
    I also think there are far more people in Australia infected.
    Saying all that, we have pretty high medical care, and at this stage if you are healthy, your chances of surviving are pretty high.
    ....Unless it mutates...and kills us all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am worried too. I also don't know if I believe everything we are being told by China is correct in terms of the number of cases and the number of deaths. I read this morning that 10 million people left Wuhan just before the travel ban came in. I don't know if that's true or not but it makes me realise how big China is.

And considering the incubation period I really don't see how the screening at airports really does a lot. I meant I might highlight the people who are currently sick but not those who are carrying it but not yet sick

Quote Originally Posted by MissTwiggley View Post

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

MuMtORiLeYandLeO (30-01-2020),Notalone (31-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I'm a bit concerned. Having a newborn and 2 other kids, things like this make me anxious.
    I don't think we are getting the truth and believe there are alot more people who have been exposed and are infected with it. China has a massive population, pretty hard to contain.
    I dont believe we are getting the whole story over here either, I get the feeling they are downplaying it all so people don't panic. They have said people are contagious even when they are not presenting with symptoms, so makes you wonder how many people have flown out of wuhan without realizing they are already infected.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in the not worried camp.

There appears to be a a lot of effort to contain it (not just China but screening at international airports etc), the death rate isn't particularly high - was around 3% last time I checked and from what I have read most people who have died are elderly with other medical issues.

While I am not worried about this particular virus, the global spread highlights how freaken scary it would be if something else more contagious with a higher death rate started up eg if ebola mutated and it became airborn.

ETA For clarification, I would be concerned if I lived in Wuhan and had a newborn baby. However living in Australia, no, I'm not worried.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 29-01-2020 at 18:57.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats (29-01-2020),Green Cheese (29-01-2020),Mokeybear (29-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My concern with it becoming widespread in Australia is that while our health system is top notch at present, there is the possibility that we might become overwhelmed with the sheer number of cases presenting (which would cause bed and medical shortages). Then what do we do?

@Molros, 5 million left Wuhan before lockdown.
    I don't see the point in the temperature screenings either, at least not for the 2019 coronavirus. During the height of the SARS epidemic (another coronavirus), my DH was on frequent travel to mainland China and HK, and he remembers thermal imaging scanners being placed in airports. At some points they were also checking temperature manually. It made sense to do so then, as SARS usually began with fever and people were not contagious during the incubation period. However China's health commission believe that 2019-nCoV can be transmitted before a person shows symptoms. If that's true, it would render temperature monitoring as a precaution, useless. NSW health is currently trying to figure out if there is any truth to the statement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Make that 7 cases... QLD just confirmed it's first case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I just got off a flight full of Chinese tourists. A tad concerned

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ah sorry @MissTwiggley I thought it was 10m. We are booked to go to Thailand in November, which is months away, and Im stressing about that now for goodness sake!