+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks mummas. I think I need to get a book and do a bit of reading. I’m getting lots of well meaning comments about how she should be eating purées but I can’t even explain why blw is the way to go- all I’ve got is it seems to be the way to do it these days and I try spoon feed her but she won’t let me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default BLW, Combo or Traditional weaning

I’m a huge BLW advocate and if anyone asks I always said “we waited until DS was 6 months old so we didn’t need to worry about purées and just feed him fresh whole foods “

Babies are very clever and their natural instincts kick in when needed, especially for food - if they are hungry they eat, if not they don’t, we don’t need to force feed them! I always put a variety of food on DS tray and he ate how much he wanted - you will notice it does take a few months for them to “get it” we started at 6 months, the first month was literally all mess and he ate minute amounts, the second month he learnt how to bite, chew and swallow properly, the 3rd month he was eating more and more and by 10 months 3 meals a day! Breast Milk /formula is definitely still the most important meal until 12 months so the next 6 months for you is really just practice!!

Definitely try every food you can think off - DS first foods were grilled salmon, cucumber and goats yogurt! I added garlic and herbs to everything, he had crab, turkey, lamb, fish, chicken all in those first few months and go through every vegetable possible so he’s used to a variety of colours/textures and tastes - breast milk is so flavoursome but society’s first baby food is bland veggies or even worse processed cereals!!!

I mixed up between 2 breakfasts - egg pancakes (literally 2 eggs scrambled with whatever herbs I had and fried in mini frypan and cut into fingers !) toast (wholemeal/sourdough/rye) and avo or nut butters (peanut butter, almond butter or cashew butter)

Lunches were always a tasting plate of olives, boiled eggs, cheese (feta or tasty usually) cucumber sticks, cooked peas, cherry tomatoes (cut) and I’d make a variety of “nuggets” chicken or veggie or fish cakes and falafels

Snacks were apples (at about 9months ) keep them whole , they bite (gnaw really) off tiny perfect bite size prices for their mouth - same with corn on the cob , egg pancakes are great for going out as are bananas

Dinner’s were whatever we had but in the early days I did steamed veggies and shredded chicken or flaked salmon or lamb cutlets (they literally just hold the bone and suck/gnaw off little bits of meat) or again the fish cakes or nuggets ect

He was eating spaghetti by ten months (extremely messy!) cheese and spinach pizza by 11 months and bbq octopus at 1! when we went out for dinner he just ate off our plates or at coffee shops I just ordered avo on wholemeal toast or scrambled eggs on toast

Also eat with her, they need to see you bite, eat and chew and eat what he’s eating oh and definitely buy the book !

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Mashie (27-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    Thanks mummas. I think I need to get a book and do a bit of reading. I’m getting lots of well meaning comments about how she should be eating purées but I can’t even explain why blw is the way to go- all I’ve got is it seems to be the way to do it these days and I try spoon feed her but she won’t let me.
    Defo read the book as it explains all that. But regardless of that it’s none of anyone’s business what you do with your Bub! Go with what you feels best and tell those others to politely respect your decision. You don’t need to explain yourself hun..

Also pretty sure that most of the world doesn’t purée baby food. Across many cultures the children are taught to emulate the adults from day dot. Such a more natural way of feeding that purée. I think your LO is telling you that also - so go with her instinct too ❤️

I read something once that I really liked. It’s your job to provide your baby/child with appropriate and healthy options for food. The relationship between them and their stomach is their business

5. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Mashie (27-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Defo read the book as it explains all that. But regardless of that it’s none of anyone’s business what you do with your Bub! Go with what you feels best and tell those others to politely respect your decision. You don’t need to explain yourself hun..

Also pretty sure that most of the world doesn’t purée baby food. Across many cultures the children are taught to emulate the adults from day dot. Such a more natural way of feeding that purée. I think your LO is telling you that also - so go with her instinct too ❤️

I read something once that I really liked. It’s your job to provide your baby/child with appropriate and healthy options for food. The relationship between them and their stomach is their business
    Thanks, ha one of those well meaning comments is coming from her dad so kinda does matter but anyone else can go jump. Hubby is happy to go with my lead but it would be nice if I could explain it a bit better for him to be confident enough to be fully on board. He also struggles with the gagging and will panic a little too quickly. I’ll get the book and just leave it on the couch and hope that he decides to pick it up too.

We’ve had DD2 join us for family meals from about 8 weeks old in a reclining high chair so she’s definitely been watching and learning all about meal times.

Thanks again ladies, you’ve all given me more confidence to continue with blw, we’re going through a fussy stage with DD1 so it will be interesting to see if blw helps DD2 avoid fussiness! It’ll be my own little experiment and hopefully I can then say I told you so in a few years time!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (27-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh 1 question though. Is weetbix/oats ok for breakfast? Some mornings I’m not going to have time for cooking eggs ect and I have smoothies for breakfast. If I just give her a loaded spoon to pick up and eat is that still considered blw?

I know nutritionally weetbix isn’t the best but probably one of the better cereals.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (27-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Make mini quiches and they are great for breakfast. Avacado, banana, whole meal toast soldiers are all great breakfast options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I used to do steel cut oats and use a loaded spoon - but it is extreme messy and you need time ! Toast is the quickest but yes you could do wheatbix (get the kids ones - far less salt!) but just keep switching as you don’t want them forming habits of only wanting the same food all the time

Thanks
    Reviews

Oh 1 question though. Is weetbix/oats ok for breakfast? Some mornings I’m not going to have time for cooking eggs ect and I have smoothies for breakfast. If I just give her a loaded spoon to pick up and eat is that still considered blw?

I know nutritionally weetbix isn’t the best but probably one of the better cereals.
    If she can manage a spoon then yes it is. BLW is just about them feeding themselves. If she doesn’t want it she’ll leave it. At that age a banana and some toast to nibble on is also fine for brekkie tho

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Not sure if it helps, but the weetbix at Aldi have zero sugar

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Shoopuf For This Useful Post:

Mashie (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Check out one handed cooks in Facebook too. They have some free recipes available to mix it up. Can add some variety to mealtimes.

Make some pikelets and have them in the freezer. Easy to defrost and they are portable too. DD loved Apple and cinnamon or banana and blueberry. No added sugar as they are naturally sweetened by the fruit. Also some purees were good for pasta sauce I found. I made a chicken, sweet corn and pumpkin purée that was delicious on pasta.
    Last edited by MLadyEm; 28-01-2020 at 06:25.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MLadyEm For This Useful Post:

Mashie (28-01-2020)