+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Transition to bed and no dummy????

My son is 2 years 7 months, still in his cot and has dummy to sleep. I also have a 12w old bub (no dummy)

He’s got two big transitions coming up this year...going to a bed and letting go of the dummy. Any advice of which to do first?

He’s showing no signs of wanting to be out of the cot...he’s in a sleeping bag so has never attempted to climb out and happily goes in there for sleeps.

Very attached to dummy. We have to be very strict in keeping the dummy for sleep time only. Kind of dreading these transitions.

Bub is currently in a portacot until my eldest goes to a bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In a situation like this I would just buy another cot for the 9 week old bub. Comfort is everything at 2-3 years. From a toddlers perspective - It really is hard enough having a new sibling enter the family, without being removed from the only bed you've ever known (to give to said sibling) *and* having your main source of comfort taken away as well.

If you absolutely cannot buy another cot, then I'd transition him to the bed first and not even bother with taking away the dummy until another 8-10 months afterward. IMO he will need the continuity of the dummy more so than the bed.

Best of luck. xx

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissTwiggley For This Useful Post:

LoveMyWay (25-01-2020),Yogis Mumma (25-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, that helps and makes sense. I’m definitely not wanting to force our toddler out when he’s not ready so another cot is probably more appropriate.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

MissTwiggley (25-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've never understood the rush to take away a child's dummy. I can understand not having it in public, but just for sleep, why worry about it?

Some of my children have had dummies, my eldest had one until FIVE, but only for sleep at night, she had several of them, used to hold them in her hands and one in her mouth. I just slowly took them one by one and never replaced them. Eventually at 5 the "dummy fairy' came to take the last one, and left her a present.

Ironically she is the only one who didnt need braces, so the argument about it 'ruining their teeth' is rubbish. It doesnt affect their speech because they wont be talking when they are asleep at night.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Transitioning to a bed is enough stress for a little person, why take away their comfort item.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummamania View Post
    I've never understood the rush to take away a child's dummy. I can understand not having it in public, but just for sleep, why worry about it?

Some of my children have had dummies, my eldest had one until FIVE, but only for sleep at night, she had several of them, used to hold them in her hands and one in her mouth. I just slowly took them one by one and never replaced them. Eventually at 5 the "dummy fairy' came to take the last one, and left her a present.

Ironically she is the only one who didnt need braces, so the argument about it 'ruining their teeth' is rubbish. It doesnt affect their speech because they wont be talking when they are asleep at night.

Personally I wouldn't worry about it. Transitioning to a bed is enough stress for a little person, why take away their comfort item.
    I think you’re super lucky to have had a child that used a dummy until 5 and not had any teeth issues but I’d say quite a few parents and dentists would disagree with you. My DD1 is a thumb sucker whilst sleeping and I’m really hoping she outgrows it before it affects her teeth.

But I do agree I wouldn’t do a bed swap and remove the dummy too close to each other. If you can get another cot I’d go for that. You could get a second hand cot and just buy a new mattress for bubs. That way your oldest won’t feel like bubs is stealing his bed. I also think it’ll be easier to get rid of the dummy in the bed he has always known.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (26-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following as I will have a 20 month old and a newborn and we have bought her a floor bed to transition too they are transitioning them F daycare so thought it would be good beginning for her .. plan to do it when she is a about 2.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachi321 View Post
    Following as I will have a 20 month old and a newborn and we have bought her a floor bed to transition too they are transitioning them F daycare so thought it would be good beginning for her .. plan to do it when she is a about 2.
    My son’s friends transitioned to a bed at around 2 just before baby #2 arrived and all worked well. The only reason we didn’t was because my son sleeps so well in his cot and I couldn’t imagine being tired with a newborn and a toddler getting in and out of their bed

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogis Mumma View Post
    My son’s friends transitioned to a bed at around 2 just before baby #2 arrived and all worked well. The only reason we didn’t was because my son sleeps so well in his cot and I couldn’t imagine being tired with a newborn and a toddler getting in and out of their bed
    You might get lucky DD1 was transitioned just before 2, into a new big girl room to get the nursery ready for DD2. DD1 is now almost 3 and has not once gotten out of bed and lays there happily ready books until we go in and get her.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

Yogis Mumma (28-01-2020)