+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Peanut Allergies - highschool

I'm curious about how others think peanut allergies should be handled in high school.

Reason I ask is because my DD is going into year 10 and has had a child with severe nut allergies in her grade since prep. Every year the parents send a note home to all parents basically asking all families in the grade not to eat nut products for breakfast or send them to school. The note is written in very strong language and states that if we don't comply with the request we may be responsible for the death of said child.

I get that it must be terrifying having a child who is so sensitive to nut products that touching a smear on a water bubbler could kill them, but on the flip side the parents cannot control the environment forever.

Surely by 15/16 years old a teenager should be able to take responsibility for their own health.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    I'm curious about how others think peanut allergies should be handled in high school.

Reason I ask is because my DD is going into year 10 and has had a child with severe nut allergies in her grade since prep. Every year the parents send a note home to all parents basically asking all families in the grade not to eat nut products for breakfast or send them to school. The note is written in very strong language and states that if we don't comply with the request we may be responsible for the death of said child.

I get that it must be terrifying having a child who is so sensitive to nut products that touching a smear on a water bubbler could kill them, but on the flip side the parents cannot control the environment forever.

Surely by 15/16 years old a teenager should be able to take responsibility for their own health.

Thoughts?
    I always wondered what happened after primary school...

I think a personal note from the parents is unfair. The fact that it's worded so strongly, is rude and distasteful.

Like you, I agree it must be terrifying for them.... but what do they do when the child goes to the supermarket? Shopping centre? School bus? Park? Swimming? Dating? What about when she gets a job?

At some point, the child is going to have to take responsibility for being vigilant and proactive for themselves. Sure, they can't live in a bubble, but the rest of the world can't always be expected to make every allowance.

I do wonder where things will end up because we are only starting to see the generation of severe allergies and anaphylaxis start to come of age now... it could be interesting as a higher percentage of the population is affected, as to just how it all plays out and where responsibility, and potential liability will fall.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got a nut allergy and require an epipen. When I was in school I always asked if there were nuts in food before eating it if it was something that I hadn't prepared at home and always have my epipen on me. I know how to use the epipen if I need to.

My school knew about my allergy but my parents didn't send notes out.

Personally I think by the time the child gets to high school they are old enough to manage their allergies themselves. If it's a severe reaction then the child needs to be aware of how bad the reaction is and what to do in case of a reaction.

I think that a note like that from the parents is over the top. Are the going to send notes like that to the child's university and work when they're out of high school? Or to their girlfriend/boyfriend?

Just my opinion though x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also think that by that age children need to have a high degree of responsibility themselves, and that the parents can't rely on controlling the environment around their child indefinitely. But the fact that they wrote that note really makes me feel for them, so I guess I kind of understand. If their child is so sensitive that someone else having peanut butter for breakfast could result in a life-threatening situation, they must be terrified each and every day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    By year 10 I think the child should be taking responsibility for their allergy. I think the school and teachers should be aware and a plan in place in case of a reaction. I'm not sure how other schools work, but at DD15 (year 10) school she is not with the same group of kids in each class. Each class she has is with different kids....Added to that the classrooms are used by all year levels so you can't guarantee someone in year 7 or 12 who was in the classroom the period before hasn't had nuts.

Wonder how they cope in the community...e.g at the shops etc...

ETA I don't know how the parent gets access to other parents details?? Our school has no class lists for high school. I only know other parents contact details if they are friends with my DD. I don't think the school should be handing out the letters on the parents behalf either!
    Last edited by PomPoms; 25-01-2020 at 17:51.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPoms View Post
    ETA I don't know how the parent gets access to other parents details?? Our school has no class lists for high school. I only know other parents contact details if they are friends with my DD. I don't think the school should be handing out the letters on the parents behalf either!
    Oh I wasn't clear in my OP. Written by the parents but distributed by the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the school should put in a reminder note to parents about kids suffering from nut allergies and educate the kids in school. I can’t imagine how scary it is having an allergy that serious. But the risk will always be there, they can’t control what kids eat at that age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wonder how the daughter feels about it... 15 is such a sensitive age.

I can't imagine being in that position though. How utterly terrifying for them. I'm guessing the letter is worded very strongly so that it leaves a lasting impression and people won't forget? If it's too polite, most will gloss over it.

At some point the child is going to have to take responsibility; but as a parent, letting your child go into the unknown and knowing their well being is at the mercy of others, I understand the need to send a note.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our primary school is nut, latex and egg free. They send out letters each year to remind people. There is 1 child that is nut free and they are the most detested hated child in the school and so many kids and parents hate him because he is the bully of the school to

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont let my kids eat peanut butter or nutella or anything nut related during the school term, and definitely dont send them to school with nut products because it really isn't too much to ask when refusing to comply could actually result in someones DEATH.

However, it is starting to become more complicated. In a class of 23 children, there was a kid in my kids class last year allergic to bananas, two allergic to dairy, 3 with nut allergies and one with a severe allergic reaction to egg, and someone else who had a severe reaction to strawberries.

I think by high school, they need to take responsibility for their own health but considering nut allergies are so common, it isn't too much to ask to avoid nut products at school.

Arent most schools nut free zones now anyway?