+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula transition

Hi guys

My bubba is 10 months old

I have been expressing milk for him since he was 2 weeks old

I want to transition to formula as I have to go back to work and he is going to be starting childcare.

He took formula when he was born but now he gags at the first taste of it.

Any suggestions on weaning onto formula and any formula suggestions ?

Thank you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Could you try mixing your expressed milk with some formula, then gradually make the ratio of ebm/formula greater until he takes a full bottle of formula?

This was the only way I got my son to transition to formula.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Apparently goats milk is closer to breastmilk so you could try that.

Otherwise at 10 months is it possible to do a morning and night feed and cows milk during the day?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did goats milk as opposed to formula which worked a treat.. my little man loves it. I make it chai style .. PM if you want recipe xo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shellzand For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    Apparently goats milk is closer to breastmilk so you could try that.

Otherwise at 10 months is it possible to do a morning and night feed and cows milk during the day?
    Nope. You can’t give pure milk until 12mths. It has to be breast milk or a formula substitute.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son is slightly older. He was 12 months when he started daycare. He actually goes without milk when he is there (his choice).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amiracle4me View Post
    Nope. You can’t give pure milk until 12mths. It has to be breast milk or a formula substitute.
    My paed actually told me to give DD1 cows milk at 10 months in a cup with her meals as she weaned herself off bottles at 10 months and then refused formula. She didn’t really drink much anyway and stopped milk all together by 11 months.

At 10 months 2 feeds per day would be acceptable anyway, the no cows milk recommendations I believe are because it doesn’t have the added vitamins but op would still be breastfeeding twice a day so would still be getting those nutrients. Guess it also depends on food intake ect but I know it didn’t do my DD1 any harm. But of course all kids are different and each case unique.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mashie For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mashie View Post
    My paed actually told me to give DD1 cows milk at 10 months in a cup with her meals as she weaned herself off bottles at 10 months and then refused formula. She didn’t really drink much anyway and stopped milk all together by 11 months.

At 10 months 2 feeds per day would be acceptable anyway, the no cows milk recommendations I believe are because it doesn’t have the added vitamins but op would still be breastfeeding twice a day so would still be getting those nutrients. Guess it also depends on food intake ect but I know it didn’t do my DD1 any harm. But of course all kids are different and each case unique.
    Ah right! You learn something every day! I guess if a 10mth old is not having formula or breast milk out of self weaning then milks an obvious substitute. Mine was on soy after BM anyways so nothing to compare it to!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

cbeg (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to everyone

DS only feeds (solids) twice a day and it’s a mission to feed him.

Bowl of instant oats or weetbix for breakfast and a dinner meal at dinner - if that.

I have heard about the goats milk being closer to breastmilk so maybe I can give that a go mixing into my breastmilk

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cbeg For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me (28-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i’m in the exact same boat as you. dd is 9 months and has been bf since birth. she took a bit of formula in those very early weeks but once boob was established, i stopped offering formula because it was more hassle plus boob is free. fast forward to now, and up until the other week, she wouldn’t even take a bottle of ebm. she’s starting daycare tomorrow and i started offering ebm in a bottle once a day and she now accepts it. next hurdle was formula, which i was certain she would reject. to introduce it slowly, i gave it to her in her weetbix this morning. she accepted it. i then offered the rest of the bottle and she played around with it a bit, but basically finished it. so i’ll send her into childcare tomorrow with 2 bottles and 2 sachets of formula. whilst i’m happy to bf on demand at home, i just don’t want the added pressure of having to pump for her daycare days and i certainly don’t intend to pump at work. well done for pumping this long, that’s an outstanding effort. you could also try mixing the ebm with some formula, i haven’t done this personally but it’s worth a go. alternatively you just give her ebm at home and she has cows milk at childcare. whatever you decide to do, good luck!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

cbeg (04-02-2020)