+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breastfeeding and pregnancy

Any other mummas here pregnant again and still breastfeeding an older baby/toddler/child? My 20mo is not quite ready to give up her bedtime feeds and has gone back to demanding milk overnight too. I’m finding it a real struggle and not sure whether to wean or if she needs that reassurance and comfort at the moment. Just looking for other mums to share experiences, advice, support???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is 2.5 and still BF. Currently 18 weeks with no 2. DD has no desire to give up BF and has kindly offered to share with belly bub when he/she arrives . We are down to around a max of 2-3 feeds a day. Usually first thing in the morning, and then before nap and sometime in the evening, either when we get home from daycare or before bed. Thankfully no overnight feeds. My sleep is disrupted enough already without throwing in feeds! I often ask DD if there’s much milk there (yes!) and if the taste has changed (yes), but it doesn’t seem to faze her. The only thing that’s putting me off at the moment is the pain when she feeds. Things are a lot more sensitive lately but I just grin and bare it as they’re generally not very long feeds and DD is usually pretty quick on the worst side in particular. Until I reach a point where I’m completely touched out OR the pain from the feeds gets too much, then I’m happy to keep going. DDs world is changing a lot so I like having that one constant for her. I’ve always said that I would let DD wean when she’s ready, and I’m sure we’re in the process of that happening gradually. My only advice is that if you’re going to wean, then do it well before baby is born so it’s not seen as her having to give up something that brings her comfort for the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, yes that was my thinking as well - there will be enough change when baby arrives without taking away the milk then too! I would like to see her wean herself and have heard of so many bubs who do that (especially during pregnancy) but it’s such an ingrained part of our bedtime routine so tricky for me to push the issue.

I don’t mind BF still but after 4 feeds overnight for the first time in months I am feeling very sensitive!!! We’ve also had sickness go through our house this week so I think my energy levels are very depleted with all that too. Just having a whinge / hard day!