+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best job for school and childcare hours?

What sort of professions/jobs/business do you have that are school and childcare friendly hours? Especially if you are a single Mum or don’t have any family help. I’m trying to leave my partner and arrange alternative care for my 3 kids because my mil has been emotionally abusive to me and has now started telling my 5 year old that I’m ‘mean to Dad’ and that ‘your Mum is upsetting everyone in the house’. I’m an RN who works in recovery and we do a lot of late shifts due to theatres starting later. I would like to not rely on anyone to drop off or pick my kids up and the only shift I can think of is night shift (obviously I still need someone to look after the kids overnight though). Management won’t allow anyone to do this shift permanently in recovery though so any other job suggestions? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have an early childhood background (childcare). I plan to head into kinder or education support when my kids are older

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Im an RN in Pacu/recovery too and my daycare days I've been lucky enough to be rostered 8-16.30.
    once kids get older and not breast fed then i pick up more arvo/lates as our theatres running later too

Thanks
    Reviews
    what about a nanny or family daycare that do late/extended hours?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Anything in education, basically. I worked for years as a primary school teacher, and also did Kindergarten Relief teaching. At least you never have to worry about vacation care.
    My kids school recently hired a 'school nurse". That might be an option?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you need to leave now, you should be looking at maximising your income without retraining. I suspect you would be financially better off with a sideways shift and getting a non hospital nursing job somewhere else as it will bring in more $ than unskilled work in a field you have no experience in.

eg nurse at a GP clinic
    Community nurse
    nursing / medical / first aid education
    MCHN? (this involves extra study though)
    I know someone who had a nursing job on a minesite and it paid big $ with a mining company salary (think $120k per annum to watch miners pee into a cup for drug testing) but was obviously location specific. There would be other companies or even schools who employ nurses.

I doubt any of these would pay as much as you currently earn, but the hours would be more child friendly due to no night shift and you would retain some skills. Otherwise you would be looking at office admin type jobs that pay even less again. I work in the health sector and we do employ ex nurses in admin type roles because their medical background and knowledge can help with the job, but the pay isn't nearly as good as working as a RN.

Jobs in schools are few and far between. I know two people who have a done a Tafe course and become teachers aids and were fortunate enough to get a job at their children's school, but they got very lucky. The pay is terrible too think in the realm of $40k pa and you couldn't support yourself with it. Teachers earn a good income and the hours are more child friendly than a RN but it would take you years to get a teaching degree - perhaps it is something you could look for down the track?
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 19-01-2020 at 09:54.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard (19-01-2020)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best job for school and childcare hours?

What about outpatients clinics in the hospital? Is there also a pain clinic or similar in your hospital?
    Pathology ?
    Paediatric clinic? Do your children use the childcare in the hospital? Women’s clinic?
    Yes I’m a nurse
    Last edited by Kazza78; 19-01-2020 at 10:38.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How old are your kids? Where I work we have access to a flexible work agreement that can basically be extended until your youngest child starts school. You could specify that you can only work between certain hours/on certain days and they need to work with you to accommodate your needs. Early childhood is a really hard time because your kids need you and are still virtually dependent on you for everything. I would start by talking to your boss and seeing what can be done to help you out. It might mean finding you a job in a different department. My aunty worked in day surgery while her kids were little and it was a lot more flexible in shift times than your main recovery/PACU areas.

For what it’s worth, a good boss should be accommodating. I’m a midwife and work all shifts (I do have a helpful and supportive hubby though). When DH was OS recently, I was able to work early shifts (0645-1515) but start late (as in whenever I got there) as daycare doesn’t open until 6:30 and it’s a good 20min drive. I still got there just before the previous shift finished, but it just meant someone else took handover for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know someone who works in a childcare Centre inside the hospital that is open 24/7; they’d have kids turning up in their pjs with parents about to commence night shift. The carers would put the kids to sleep. Not ideal, but is it possible to look for a job in a local-ish hospital with this kind of arrangement available?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I’m a theatre nurse and was able to work a 730-4 on my days. If you want to keep nursing what about a gp clinic, preadmissions, outpatients, transit lounge, radiology.

I know these aren’t exactly exciting roles but they would fit better with your kids.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Kazza78 (19-01-2020)