+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Charity Donations

I have been wanting to donate for the bushfires. But I’m so lost as to who to donate to. Any thoughts on where I should direct my money?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My work are matching donations dollar for dollar so I will donate through them once they have something set up. Are there any companies around you doing something similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    My work are matching donations dollar for dollar so I will donate through them once they have something set up. Are there any companies around you doing something similar?
    My work did donate. My concern is it getting to the right people and all the fuss with the Celeste fund means I’m more cautious about who can cope with all the money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Do you live near any? Could you visit the area and buy lots of local wares/products??

I'd happily donate, but I'm reading things with certain charities having substantial amounts donated, or allocated but by the time it filters down through the system the actual people who need it, get peanuts.

My brother lives close to a major area that was affected. We're going there in a few months. I'm hoping that by then some businesses are back trading, so I'm planning to hit local shops, butcher's, bakers, farmers markets, eat at cafe/restraunts etc while we are there and boost the income/takings of the people there as opposed to donating to a charity and only a minimal %age actually making a difference to the people who need it most.

Otherwise I'd consider making a donation directly to the local fire station or SES, or maybe I time there will be certain fund raisers where a family or Pierson is in need (e.g. have special needs requiring expensive equipment that was damaged and can't get it replaced)... I'm not saying large charities don't do great work but reading statistics that over 50% of donations to certain charities,even up to as much as even 80%, goes to administration costs... makes me very wary and I'd rather donate directly
    Last edited by shadowangel0205; 19-01-2020 at 16:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something we can all do that won't cost a cent is to switch to the internet search engine Ecosia. They donate their profits to reforestation programs around the world.

This Thursday 100% of their profits will go towards kickstarting a program to plant trees in bushfire affected areas in Northern NSW (around Byron Bay).