+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default To miscarry naturally or opt for D&C

Hi there,
    Found out today that our bub passed at approx 11 weeks. I am 13 weeks today.
    I have spotting with small amount on a pad.
    No pain at this stage.
    I’m 36 next month. Have a two yo & previous had one natural miscarriage at about 8 weeks & one medical abortion. I remember the abortion was painful compared to the miscarriage.

Am seeking advice please... what to expect if I miscarry naturally being further along? What is the D&C like?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahB2019 View Post
    Hi there,
    Found out today that our bub passed at approx 11 weeks. I am 13 weeks today.
    I have spotting with small amount on a pad.
    No pain at this stage.
    I’m 36 next month. Have a two yo & previous had one natural miscarriage at about 8 weeks & one medical abortion. I remember the abortion was painful compared to the miscarriage.

Am seeking advice please... what to expect if I miscarry naturally being further along? What is the D&C like?
    Hi @SarahB2019, I'm really sorry for your loss.

Your bub would have stopped growing at 11 weeks despite you being 13 weeks now. Personally I would opt for a d&c, but it's a very personal choice. I found them to be physically painless. A little bit of bleeding afterwards, no soreness. I don't know how far along you were when you had your medical termination, but generally they are much harder than d&cs.

The risk with a d&c is scarring, but it shouldn't be a big risk if you have a good Dr who takes care to do as little as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Its a horrible situation to be in, and awful decision to have to make.

I had a missed miscarriage in 2015. Baby stopped growing at 8w, found out at 10w scan. No spotting or cramping.
    I opted for the D&C as I was doing IVF and wanted to see if they could work out why bub had passed, in case it affected our other embryos. Also, after 2 weeks with no sign of anything happening, I didn't want to sit and wait for it to happen.
    The D&C was quick- I was under for it, so didn't feel a thing. Some mild cramping after.